Teens enter into "pregnancy pact"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
A group of teen-aged girls at Gloucester High who were part of a baby boom at the North Shore school entered into a pregnancy pact last year pledging to raise their babies together, Time magazine reported in a bombshell story published online today. In total, 17 girls at Gloucester High are expecting babies and Principal Joseph Sullivan believes at least half those would-be moms planned to have babies, some even high-fiving each other when they found out they were expecting, according to the article.

The number of pregnant students this school year is four times the rate of last year. The school started looking into the spike in teen-aged pregnancies in October when the students - all under 16 - filtered into the school health clinic for pregnancy tests, Sullivan told the national magazine.

"Some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan told the magazine.

Some of the students, upon hearing the news, started talking of plans for baby showers, Sullivan told the magazine.

Sullivan said school officials found out that one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless man.

"One way to describe it is, 'disturbing'," said School Committee chairman Greg Verga, who spoke to the Herald this morning.[/b]
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional...mp;pos=breaking

Thoughts?
June 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Ah, I was about to post a link about this story! Someone posted about it in TTC#1!

I foresee this becoming another "Teens TTC" debate, honestly.

My main question about this is, where are the parents of the girls in this situation? Also, will they be looking to press statutory rape charges on the fathers? I read in another news article about this that some of the fathers were in their mid-20s.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I saw this earlier. That's our abstinence only sex-ed program in action!! YEAH!!

Seriously, Gloucester High teaches abstinence only sexual education.

June 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
whatever
Oh I think it's sweet. Their kids can all grow up together and be best friends too!! Maybe when their kids get old enough (like 12 or 14) they can do the same thing and continue on with the tradition.
June 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
aprilmomto3's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Oh I think it's sweet. Their kids can all grow up together and be best friends too!! Maybe when their kids get old enough (like 12 or 14) they can do the same thing and continue on with the tradition. [/b]
LOL!

Thanks to aprilmiracle for my beautiful siggy!
June 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh I think it's sweet. Their kids can all grow up together and be best friends too!! Maybe when their kids get old enough (like 12 or 14) they can do the same thing and continue on with the tradition. [/b]
LOL I love it!!! I actually find this story very very disturbing!

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
It just makes me sad. Pregnancy isnt a fad.
June 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I saw this earlier. That's our abstinence only sex-ed program in action!! YEAH!!

Seriously, Gloucester High teaches abstinence only sexual education.[/b]
That may be but they didn't get pregnant out of ignorance...they got pregnant on purpose. And also can you let us know how you found this out? I'm really curious!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
This is one of those crazy, inane stories that generally only happens in on area and isn't representative of a trend. Nothing to debate here, who's actually going to argue that these girls were intellegent and showed good judgement?

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can honestly say, though, that this line made me laugh a bit:

Quote:
Some of the students, upon hearing the news, started talking of plans for baby showers, Sullivan told the magazine.[/b]
especially in light of our "Would you let your teen go to another teen's baby shower?" debate!

I think that our society, in general, has become so shallow that it wouldn't surprise me if many teen girls think that having a baby will be just like having a cute accessory. I mean, what could be better than having a little mini-me to dress up in all the newest, trendiest clothes?

I also think it's a little silly to blame their stupidity on an abstinence only sex ed course. As a PP said, these girls did this on purpose. It's not as though they were in the backseat of the car going, "Gee, I want to have sex and I just can't fathom a way to keep myself from getting pregnant. Oh well, I'll just do it anyway and hope for the best!"

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a PP poster said, this is an unusual case, hence WHY it made the news. I don't think this is indicative of a trend ... unless something further in the story said that schools all over the place were noticing sudden dramatic spikes in their teen pregnancy rate.

June 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
jacksons_mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Where are the parents?? Just because a school teaches abstinence doesn't mean the parents have to teach the same thing. Why aren't the parents teaching safe sex? It isn't the schools responsibility to teach are kids right and wrong and that goes for sex too.
June 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Quote:

That may be but they didn't get pregnant out of ignorance...they got pregnant on purpose. And also can you let us know how you found this out? I'm really curious!
[/b]
They got pregnant, on purpose, out of ignorance. If this school had a comprehensive sexual education program do you think that one of the teen girls would have sought out a 24 year old homeless man to impregnate her?

The information only requires a quick google search.

Quote:
Experts on all levels say that lack of access to birth control poses a huge problem for areas such as Gloucester.

"Kids have identified that there's not easy, confidential reproductive health care in Gloucester," Daly said.

The closest clinic at which students can access birth control is in Beverly, assuming they do not want to go to their family doctor. While Daly and her associates will discuss birth control with students, they will not prescribe it, and condoms are not offered at the school.[/b]
Quote:
Dr. Joanne Cox, director of the Young Parents program at Children's Hospital in Boston, said that in-school programs for birth control are shown to be effective, as is education.[/b]
Quote:
Quinn said that parental squeamishness in talking to their children about pregnancy could be a large part of the problem.

"I would argue, particularly around sexual issues, we often fail to give good guidance and then we are upset and angry when young people become pregnant," Quinn said. By giving teens a message that planning for sex is bad, she said, youths end up only having "swept up in the moment" sex often without the forethought of protection.[/b]
Quote:
Currently, Jordan said, students receive sex education in middle school and are required to take a health class that includes the topic during their freshman year. According to Jordan, the program is abstinence-based, but high school classes hear about birth control as well.[/b]

Quote:
After freshman year, however, there is no required sex education partially because of cutbacks in the physical education program, which encompasses health classes. Those cuts began in the 2000-2001 school year.[/b]

Quote:
Jordan agrees with a number of experts who say that a key to preventing teen pregnancies is connecting students to their future.

"How is Gloucester ensuring that all teens see a future for themselves that does not include early parenting?" said Quinn. "They have to have goals. If they don't have them, early parenting can become a default option."[/b]
Gloucester Times

June 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes they got preggo on purpose but out of ignorance I dont believe it for a min. They knew very well what they were doing

June 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
They got pregnant, on purpose, out of ignorance. If this school had a comprehensive sexual education program do you think that one of the teen girls would have sought out a 24 year old homeless man to impregnate her?

[/b]
Well it sounds like they aren't abstinence only, sounds like they teach both. And it isn't the responsibility of the school to force stupid kids to wear condoms. Obviously the teens lacked some major judgment skills. Their parents must not have been very bright. I mean, who lets their daughter go off with a 24 year old homeless guy? I would be VERY surprised if these girls would have totally changed their minds about pregnancy had they gotten free condoms from school...they weren't scared about getting pregnant. They knew what it took and went out to do it on purpose.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StaceyC @ Jun 19 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>I saw this earlier. That's our abstinence only sex-ed program in action!! YEAH!!

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well it sounds like they aren't abstinence only, sounds like they teach both. And it isn't the responsibility of the school to force stupid kids to wear condoms. Obviously the teens lacked some major judgment skills. Their parents must not have been very bright. I mean, who lets their daughter go off with a 24 year old homeless guy? I would be VERY surprised if these girls would have totally changed their minds about pregnancy had they gotten free condoms from school...they weren't scared about getting pregnant. They knew what it took and went out to do it on purpose.
[/b][/quote]
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know that you already KNEW why these girls did it, what the level of parental involvment was, and what may or may not have changed this outcome.

Nothing more to debate here. The girls knew what they were doing, the parents let them and birth control access wouldn't have changed a single one of their decisions.

June 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
MamaBx3
I don't think that a teen getting pregnant is necessarily the parents fault .. I was taught all about safe sex and still got pregnant at 17. Just because parents preach about safe sex doesn't mean teens are going to listen. I was on the pill for close to 3 years when I got pregnant - but I was always told to use condoms.. never did. Do I blame my parents for me getting pregnant ? Ya right. That is ridiculous.
I hate when people say "OMG where were the parents" .. well .. uhh .. hopefully not in the room !

I do think this story is very disturbing and crazy -- 17 girls ? Wow. Thats a lot of teens deciding to throw their lives away (so to speak). I don't get it.. I'm sure a lot of peer pressure was involved and fear of not being in the "in" crowd probably made a lot of minds up.. But it's not fair to blame their parents. Good grief.
June 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Momo @ Jun 20 2008, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:

[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know that you already KNEW why these girls did it, what the level of parental involvment was, and what may or may not have changed this outcome.

Nothing more to debate here. The girls knew what they were doing, the parents let them and birth control access wouldn't have changed a single one of their decisions.
[/b][/quote]

I can't understand why you are angry? In this situation these girls KNEW what they were doing. They KENW they wanted to be pregnant. No level of "Here is how you use a condom." or "Babies are hard work." would have changed their minds.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even if the parents were involved completely you cannot hold I dont believe resposible for the girls actions. These girls it sounds like wanted to become preggo and no amount of parental involvement would have changed their minds.

June 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't see why we are giving them the attention they want for it. Lots of girls get pregnant at 17 and younger. My neighbor turned sixteen one month before she had her son. There is no news story on that. I understand that these girls were all in one school and ect. But this is nothing. Teen pregnancy is not some new phenominom.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search