Sperm donors

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was watching a show on discovery channel today about sperm donors.

The catch to this special was the children of the donors are now wanting to find the donor dad.

My question I guess is these donor dads did so in private for whatever reason should this privacy be overruled so the children can find their donor dads?

They did interview one donor dad who said he would like to meet any of his and another who said no way.

Whats your opinion?

June 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The donors should have the right to privacy. The children of the donors should also share that privacy. I would hate to have the donors search for the children when they are not ready. I would also hate to have the children search for the donors when they don't want that relationship.
June 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see it almost the same as adopting those records are for the most part sealed.

Now if they want to have a donor page that says I am donor green-purple ( this was the way they are coded) if you are a child of green-purple and want to meet contact me.

But I dont think the information should be given out to either the donor or child from the sperm bank

June 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that's a great way to do it - a website or organization that can match up children who are searching and parents who are searching if they BOTH register.

But both sides have the original right to privacy until such time as both are interested in making contact. If the child wants to, but the donor doesn't (or vice versa) then the one wanting ot maintain the anonymity has the right to do so.

I can see in extreme health cases, where perhaps some rare hereditary disease is involved, where things mightget complicated .... if someone's life was on the line, then the question would become whether or not their life was more or less valuable than the other person's privacy.

June 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
dragonfly13
DELETED

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search