Ads aimed at children...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think it is really okay to have so many advertisements aimed at kids on TV? I understand that in order to afford particular programming to air, they need sponsors...but I also feel conflicted that they allow our children to be exposed to commercials for products that aren't always in their best interest. For instance, sugar cereals. I can remember as a kid asking for certain cereals & it was ALWAYS a direct result of an ad on TV. Even on educational programming there are commercials for products that aren't "good" products. Is it ethical as a society to allow for TV to play ads like this & for companies to spend big bucks specifically strategizing to market products to children - especially those that are below 5?

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It doesn't really bother me. Maybe it will when my son is old enough to watch TV and bug me for those things, but at the same time, *I* still get to decide what he does and does not get. Just because he sees something in an ad and wants it doesn't mean he'll get it.

I also plan to educate him about healthy eating for things like the sugary cereal commercials. Although I think those were worse when I was a kid... I still vividly remember Cookie Crisp commercials - that's not even a cereal, it's just little chocolate chip cookies! Who thought THAT was a good idea? I don't even know if that stuff's still around, but I never see commercials for it anymore.

I'm sure all the education in the world won't make my son stop wanting what he sees on TV, but at the end of the day I hope I can make him understand that no matter what he sees, he's not getting everything they advertise. In the end I don't think you can really blame TV commercials for spoiled kids or kids with unhealthy diets.

(Sidenote - I'm also not completely opposed to sugary cereals. He can have them every once in a while, but probably more likely as a snack or special treat, not every morning for breakfast.)

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
June 22nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I don't blame the companies that show or produce the ads. I also don't blame the companies who produce the products in those ads. I blame the parents who allow their children to spend so much time sitting in front of the television being bombarded by those ads and giving in when their child asks for one of the products that is less than safe or healthy.

I remember asking for stuff that I saw in commercials. Sometimes I got it and sometimes I didn't. When my parents said no that was it.....end of story.

June 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
chlodoll
I don't like it. Children are to impressionable to be bombarded with ads telling them what they want and what they need and what they should watch. Children should make their decisions based on what the feel, thats part of growing up and developing.

Quote:
In his 3 decade career, Raffi has refused all commercial endorsement offers, and his triple-bottom-line company has never directly advertised or marketed to children. He is a passionate advocate for a child’s right to live free of commercial exploitation. Recently, he sent an open letter to Rogers Wireless urging they stop marketing cellphones to kids, and turned down a Baby Beluga film proposal laden with exploitative advertising and merchandising.[/b]
Raffi has sold over 14 million albums with out and commercials, advertisements, merchandise (other then his actual cd's and books) and only plays smaller personal venues. If you are someone who is against marketing to children definitely pick up some Raffi!!
June 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only ads my kids ever pay attention to is the ones for toys or for other tv shows/movies coming out. My kids were all excited with Camp Rock.

As far as cereals, candy, etc it is up to the parents to decide what is good and bad for them to have. And also for parents to limit the amount of TV their kids watch.

June 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
I had my cable cut off when Leo was born. They are our children, and too often they are treated like cash-cows.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 23rd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Theo's Avatar Fall Down, Go Boom
It definitely bothers me. Maybe it was because I grew up barely ever watching television, maybe because of the trends I've seen with kids at riding school and my DF's talking about what goes on at schools. I'm not sure. Actually, bothers doesn't describe it - it disturbs me.

In the US, I did not allow my nieces to watch television very much. I only allowed PBS Kids. I would rather spend the money buy them DVDs of stuff they like from Nickelodeon or such and not have the adverts now than pay for it later when they've been systematically indoctrinated into a culture of consumer fetishism.

Mainstream American television programming for kids is designed for one purpose: to sell toys and sugary snacks to them. I don't want them growing up thinking that that kind of thing is what they should aspire to or desire for themselves. I mean, I do give them sweets and some of that stuff, I just want it to be on my terms instead of a television's.

I'm still trying to feel out UK programming to see if it's as bad. Thus far, it seems a lot less directed at marketing the "bad stuff," thankfully. Maybe I'll give them a little more freedom with it.

In response to those arguing that it's a parent's job to decide what you buy, yes. It is. Somewhat. But think about it: if they aren't beaten over the head with adverts selling something, do they know it exists? If it isn't marketed to them, generally, they're not inclined to want it until they see it in the store or outside with other children. That's unavoidable - it'll happen. But I'm not going to increase those tendencies by letting the TV tell them what they want.
June 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Parents have a huge disadvantage in this arena ... they're up against multi-million dollar corporations who have spent millions of dollars researching what kind of media and messages work for kids. They have no qualms about saying that they are well aware that children harassing parents for things they've seen on toys is the best way for sales, so they do whatever it takes to make sure kids do just that. W'e're not talking about mom and pop operations here, that spend a couple hundred dollars advertising where their little toy store is and what they sell. This is VERY sophisticated stuff based on reams of information about child psychology, spending habits, etc.

I do think it's wrong to intentionally market to young children. Having said, as the laws stand right now, corporations have the right to do what they please, essentially, in pursuit of profit for their shareholders. So, the only solution, at this immediate point in time, is to limit severely the amount of tv your kids watch.

Anyway, the advertising is hardly the worst of it. The long-term cognitive and develpment impacts of kids watching television is pretty well substantiated. There's a reason that pretty much every health and pediatric association strongly recommends NO tv for kids under the age of 2 (not just a little, not a few minutes, but absolutely ZERO).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search