Schools and birth control

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Tofu Bacon
Do you feel that schools should be obligated to provide birth control to students? Why/why not?

If yes, how do you feel it should be dispensed (ex: condom machines in the restroom)?

Are non-birth control dispensing school partly to blame for teen pregnancy? Why/why not?

June 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
MamaBx3
No.. I don't think so at all! Birth control pills are not "one size fits all". Certain pills are suited better for different body types.. I think it would be very stupid and potentially dangerous to put birth control pills into a dispenser in the bathrooms

Schools that do not give out birth control are not brain washing their students to get pregnant.. I don't think the school is to blame at all.

If you're going to blame someone for pregnancy -- blame the pregnant person It's absolutely ridiculous to blame others (with the exception, of course, of rape.)
June 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
No.. I don't think so at all! Birth control pills are not "one size fits all". Certain pills are suited better for different body types.. I think it would be very stupid and potentially dangerous to put birth control pills into a dispenser in the bathrooms

Schools that do not give out birth control are not brain washing their students to get pregnant.. I don't think the school is to blame at all.

If you're going to blame someone for pregnancy -- blame the pregnant person It's absolutely ridiculous to blame others (with the exception, of course, of rape.)[/b]
Couldn't agree more! It's just not the schools job to take care of birth control. I don't even know where to begin with any of this since I have such different views on this subject than the majority of society today. If a child can't afford a condom they certainly shouldn't have sex.
I can't help but think that perhaps the push for bc being provided by schools is in direct relation to greater numbers of "absent" parents from their teens lives. If a kid has several hours between when school ends and when mom and dad get home...it's no wonder they will get into some kind of trouble! Teens need their parents physically there for them just as much as young children (just in different ways).

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Teens and sex

Access to birth control options and comprehensive sex education isn't going to encourage teen pregnancy anymore than abstinence only education and ignoring statistics is going to make it go away.

It should be available to students who, for any number of reasons, wouldn't otherwise have the knowledge, support or resources to obtain it.

Hormonal birth control should only be obtained from the school's health professionals, though, I wouldn't be opposed to condom dispensers being present in the restrooms.

I wouldn't say that non-birth control dispensing schools are to blame for the rates of teen pregnancy, though, I believe that schools making these options available could contribute to mitigating those numbers.

June 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think non-hormonal birth control should absolutely be supplied. Providing it will not encourage teens to have sex, but to have safe sex.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Tofu Bacon
I'm torn on this one. My practical side says that not being responsible enough to buy birth control isn't a deterent from actually having sex...

...but one little factoid keeps popping into my head: in the unplanned pregnancy debates (past and present) it is often mentioned that "most" unplanned pregnancies happen while on birth control. This leads me to two possible conclusions:

1. the fact that so many pregnancies are happing WITH birth control use kind of makes the whole "schools should provide birth control to help prevent teen pregnancy" thing a futile argument.

2. since the data on contraceptive use is self-reported, its very possible that many more unplanned pregnancies are the result of NOT using birth control, but people may be too ashamed to admit it
June 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Tofu Bacon
Here's what I'm wondering: is there any data comparing the results of abstinance-only sex education vs. comprehensive sex education? I'm not necessarily a proponent of either, but from what I understand only 1 in 4 schools uses an abstinance-only program...yet teen pregnancy and STDs rates are rising, while contraceptive-use is decling. I know the general consensus is that there is no evidence that abstinace-only programs are effective, but is there is evidence showing that comprehensive programs (with distributing condoms) are more effective?
June 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
I think non-hormonal birth control should absolutely be supplied. Providing it will not encourage teens to have sex, but to have safe sex.[/b]
I agree. I think that having easy access to condoms is a good idea. The people who are going to have sex young will and the people who want to wait will wait. Having condoms available won't change anyones minds, it will just help those who plan to be safe. I don't think that its a schools job to give out hormonal birth control. They should have information available of where girls can go to obtain it from clinics so they will also have to have pap tests and std tests to have access to the pills.

I really think what is most important though is teaching young people, girls especially that babies don't solve problems and they don't make people love you. I think whether its admitted or not a lot of teen pregnancies are done on purpose.
June 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Mud235's Avatar Super Mom Extrodinaire
In schools that have a school nurse, I think that birth control pills should be given out. And I think that condoms should be in the school clinic as well.

June 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you feel that schools should be obligated to provide birth control to students? Why/why not?
In some ways, as long as it comes with guidelines but I certainly wish they would teach SAFE SEX instead of abstinence. Sex is a fact of life with teenagers, whether the school systems want to bury their heads in the sand and ignore the problem rather than facing it head on.

If yes, how do you feel it should be dispensed (ex: condom machines in the restroom)?
I guess maybe in the guidance counselor's office, she can educate a child about the risks of having sex. I wouldn't want it readily available to kids.

Are non-birth control dispensing school partly to blame for teen pregnancy? Why/why not?
Not for lack of dispensing birth control but the lack of education to teens.

June 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Do you feel that schools should be obligated to provide birth control to students? Why/why not? No but then I am real old fashioned and believe it is the responsibility of parents but there are some parents who just dont want to talk about it or dont care. If you are old enough to think about having sex you should have access to a clinic off school grounds where you could go and get what you need

No if you are going to have unprotected sex I believe you will have it even if the school did provide birthcontrol

June 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that it actually shouldn't be the schools responsibility at all. Parents need to educate their kids. They need to make sure their kids have the safety procautions. I truely believe if a baby is meant to be here, it will be here and no matter how much birth contol and protection will stop that. I am a prime example. I got preggo on BCP and the nuvaring ( I was married so we did not use back up condoms. If I got preggo, then I did, but we were trying to prevent). I was using them exactly how they were suppose to be used.

I have a different view on teen pregnancy and I don't think it is devestating or ruining their lives. Things can still be accomplished, all it takes is some extra work, whether you choose to work harder or not is the issue.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Teens and sex

Access to birth control options and comprehensive sex education isn't going to encourage teen pregnancy anymore than abstinence only education and ignoring statistics is going to make it go away.

It should be available to students who, for any number of reasons, wouldn't otherwise have the knowledge, support or resources to obtain it.

Hormonal birth control should only be obtained from the school's health professionals, though, I wouldn't be opposed to condom dispensers being present in the restrooms.

I wouldn't say that non-birth control dispensing schools are to blame for the rates of teen pregnancy, though, I believe that schools making these options available could contribute to mitigating those numbers.[/b]
Totally agree!! Although I'm not sure I'd want my child getting hormonal bc from the school nurse, but that's more for medical reasons.
June 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Do you feel that schools should be obligated to provide birth control to students? Why/why not? Obligated...no but if they do then great

If yes, how do you feel it should be dispensed (ex: condom machines in the restroom)? I think maybe it should be provided by the school nurse on a private basis along with information about sexual health, reproduction and safety.

Are non-birth control dispensing school partly to blame for teen pregnancy? Why/why not? No I wouldn't really blame schools at all. When it comes to sex education they tend to lean towards what parents in the district believe and support (not always but often because otherwise parents protest). I think parents are more to blame for teen pregnancy then schools.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search