Children seeing parents without clothes on

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Just wondering about how everyone feels about children seeing their parents without clothes on. Is there an age limit? Is it only ok in same sex child/parent situations? What about siblings?
June 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
aprilmomto3's Avatar Veteran
My kids see me without clothes on all of the time and they are six, almost five and two. I actually haven't put any thought into this, I guess when they get old enough to feel uncomfortable with it then I will quit. I want a very open house though, and I hope to accomplish that somewhat by not running and hiding every time I am getting dressed and one of the kids come in.

Thanks to aprilmiracle for my beautiful siggy!
June 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids (who are 11,9 and 2 months old) see me and DH naked all the time,they always have..infact,my daughter still showers with DH or me every now and again.Iv never felt uncomfortable about it,none of us have.We are a family so no one in this house has something none of us has ever seen before lol.Maybe its just another one of those things that has to do with where Im from,because no one really cares about nudity here.Iv never stopped to think about it really because its something we just do.
We actually have a nude beach just around the corner,and there are whole familys there all the time...infact,its PACKED today! lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
chlodoll
I don't think there is a problem with it as long as no one is feeling uncomfortable. I agree with Gina that its nothing to be concerned with.
June 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both Chris and I are naked around our kids, and will continue to be naked around them and them around us until they tell us they are uncomfortable. Right now none of us are. We try to teach our children there is nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to your body. Chris takes showers with both Anthony and Anastasia (nearly 4 and nearly 2 years old) at the same time.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When my children were little they did not see either my dh or myself naked after about one or so. Now my daughter who is grown with 4 children of her own will walk into the bathroom or whatever on each other all the time when visiting but I do not allow her children to see me naked. Who in their right mind would want to scare the crap outta their grandkids like that anyway It is just not something I would feel comfortable with nor would I allow my stepsons who are grown see me naked

June 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My kids see me without clothes on all of the time and they are six, almost five and two. I actually haven't put any thought into this, I guess when they get old enough to feel uncomfortable with it then I will quit. I want a very open house though, and I hope to accomplish that somewhat by not running and hiding every time I am getting dressed and one of the kids come in.[/b]
Same here, except our kids are almost 8, 4 and 1.
June 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Who in their right mind would want to scare the crap outta their grandkids like that anyway [/b]
That made me laugh! My mum (who is still fine with me seeing her naked and vice versa) came over once and she wanted to try on a bikini I had just given her.My DH wasnt home so she just stripped down in the living room where my kids were also watching TV (she only wanted to try on the top half).
Now,my kids see DH and I naked all the time,so they werent taking any notice..until my daughter turned to talk to my mum and saw her boobs.My mum is 55 years old,so her boobs are obviously "different" than mine lol.My daughter went totally silent,cringed a little,looked back at the TV and said (without even looking at my mum) "Oh god,shes got OLD boobs too!!!"

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Who in their right mind would want to scare the crap outta their grandkids like that anyway [/b]
That made me laugh! My mum (who is still fine with me seeing her naked and vice versa) came over once and she wanted to try on a bikini I had just given her.My DH wasnt home so she just stripped down in the living room where my kids were also watching TV (she only wanted to try on the top half).
Now,my kids see DH and I naked all the time,so they werent taking any notice..until my daughter turned to talk to my mum and saw her boobs.My mum is 55 years old,so her boobs are obviously "different" than mine lol.My daughter went totally silent,cringed a little,looked back at the TV and said (without even looking at my mum) "Oh god,shes got OLD boobs too!!!"
[/b]

That is just too funny I almost choked on my soda when I read that

June 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Tofu Bacon
We're all pretty comfortable with nudity here, so for us it isn't a big deal.
June 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
our kids are 4 1/2, 3 and 1 and they see us naked all the time and stll shower with us on occasion. I dont see a problem with this.
June 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Personally...I don't even want to see me naked! My son is only a year old and he sees me get changed on occasion. That will change as he gets older and doesn't follow me everywhere. I don't have a reason to be naked all that often. I get dressed in the morning, shower at night and then into PJs.

I usually get dressed while Ben is otherwise occupied or asleep but there are times when he crawls into the bedroom after me. I don't have a problem if that's what other people do but for me it's not something that really comes up all that often.

June 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Julka
It's not something we're ashamed of, but it is something we're uncomfortable with. I have 2 girls. My oldest still takes baths with DH but he wears swimming trunks as long as she's in the tub with him. He didn't bother wearing them when she was 6-10 months old, but afterwards he became uncomfortable and so it ended. I don't think it's appropriate for my girls to see DH w/o clothes, I just don't see the point. We're not going out of our way to remain clothed, but we're not walking around the apartment naked either. As per with myself, I don't mind going potty or changing infornt of my girls, but again, I don't walk around the apartment naked; to me, that's inappropriate. Not shameful, just no reason for it.
June 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
irishxrose
My son sees me naked all the time. I'm a SAHM so if I have to take a shower he usually goes right in with me. I walk around my apartment naked. We're very comfortable with nudity here and don't see an issue with it.
June 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am loving my birthday suit all the time. I am pregnant, hot and living in florida in huge humity. I overheat sleeping. I am probably naked or with only pantied on more than I am dressed on any given day. DH has issues with DD even seeing his pee pee, so he stays fully clothed most of the time, even sleeping. We are total opposites, but that is because he is uncomfy with being naked (or even without a shirt, around his wife!!!) because his family made it so taboo.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have an issue with it, but it just doesn't happen that often ... I'm not prone to walking around naked (these boobs would be WAY too much in the way if they weren't tucked in!). DS has certainly seen both DH and I naked, by virtue of seeing us get in or out of the shower, or changing, or whatever. So there's no real philophical viewpoint attached to it at this stage of the game.

But, having said that, I do think a time comes when a bit of modesty is probably appropriate. I don't know what that age is yet, but I don't think it would have to be something where you make it seem "shameful" (like panicking and covering up if your kid happens to walk in on you changing) but more simply setting boundaries on personal space and privacy (like "ok, mommy's getting changed in the bedroom, you can wait till I'm done to show me your picture")

June 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If one (or more) party is uncomfortable with it... then it's time to stop.

DD#1 sees me naked, she still showers with me from time to time. But, DH is uncomfortable with her seeing him naked, so she doesn't.

DD#2 is too young to even take notice.... except for my breasts, which are her food supply!
June 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
I gew up in a very open household. I'm pretty used to seeing my mom naked. I'm sure it'll be the same way with me and my kids.
June 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH doesn't like any of the kids seeing him naked. OCCASIONALLY if we are getting ready to go somewhere, he MIGHT let CJ get in the shower with him. And unless he is showering, he always at least has his boxer-briefs on.

I don't mind the kids seeing me. But JJ (10) is uncomfortable so I limit it when he is around. And he won't go in the bathroom when I am in there at all. Or his sister. He doesn't mind with CJ because they are both boys.

I don't walk around nude though. I used to when MJ & JJ were little.

And reminds me of a funny story....I was peeing, DH was in the shower...CJ runs in the bathroom as DH was drying off and yells "OMG is that your pee pee?!?!" I about died laughing!

June 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Super Mommy
I'm naked a lot because of the heat. Nobody really minds.

DF has been naked around my son once, because we were in a rush to get going somewhere so he took a shower with him, but my DF is very, very rarely naked around the house other than that.

But recently my son has been getting more interested in how I look different from him, ie my "lady naked" as I call it. He saw me getting out of the shower, and went "Uh oh!" and was grabbing at his own crotch, so I had to explain that I look different there because I'm a girl and he's a boy. It was actually really funny.

I just don't want my children to grow up thinking they should be ashamed of their bodies, because I did for a long time. I want my children to know their bodies are beautiful.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search