JCPenney Ad

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://www.parentdish.com/2008/06/24/jcpen...6898x1200198812

If I ever saw this ad actually air on TV I think I would go ape-s$&t!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
I am going to say exactly what I said on the other thread about this in WTTC...

Well.... who's to say she isn't a 20 year old college kid staying at her mom's house on spring break? I mean, why is it automatically thought that she is a 16 year old having sex...?

And, really, WHERE in the commercial does it state that they are teenagers? I know that if I was stuck in my mom's house (for whatever reason), at my age, I would want to have sex with my fiance. But I wouldn't announce it to my mom, either.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whether you are 20 or 16, if you are under your parents roof, you are supposed to respect their rule not to have sex inthe house. So it's still clearly sending the wrong message either way. Especially with the caption at the end.

My friend is 32 and is single and lives with her mom. Not allowed to have sex in the house and she abides by it because she RESPECTS her mom. Of course she doesn't like the rule but understands it's her mom's house.

June 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too will say the same thing I said in our thread on WTTC:

Eh, even if she is a 20 year old college kid staying at her moms... I still think it's inappropriate and I don't like what message the ad was trying to send... thankfully it's not a legit JC Penny ad!

Anyway, if you look on the blog there's an ETA that says:
Quote:
Edited to add: As it turns out, everyone, JCPenney did not authorize this ad. (Let's let out a collective whew.) There's a lot of finger pointing going on right now; JCPenney is blaming its ad company Saatchi & Saatchi, who in turn is blaming the production company Epoch films.

According to Gawker, the commercial won an award at the Cannes Lions Awards this past weekend. Penney's chief marketing officer has been quoted as saying, "It's obviously inappropriate and nothing we would ever condone."[/b]

June 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Oh yeah right. This is like the terrorist bombing commercial that Volkswagen never meant to leak. Or the Sportka commercial with the decapitated cat that was accidently released. The same finger pointing and lame crap going on there too. And I didn't buy it then either. I want to know how major million dollar corporations keep hiring these rogue advertising agencies that keep making offensive commercials at great expense for no apparant reason then releasing them.

The commercial itself? Big fat "meh". OHNOZ! Kidz haz sex! No ######, Sherlock. Moving on. What I am shocked by is that some people are so darn puritanical about sex. Can't have sex under the same roof as your parents? At 32 years old? Why? Exactly what is going to happen?

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
It's her mom's rules and she has to abide by it. She's a student and right now living with her mom while persueing her degree is better than her struggling to make ends meet. She doesn't have kids so it's ideal for her. If she wants to have sex? She goes to her bf's house. No big deal.

My DH and his siblings weren't allowed to have sex in their parents house either.

I just don't agree with the ad's message in promoting children to be deceptive to parents. And it's not just about sex. It's about everything.

June 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
It's her mom's rules and she has to abide by it. She's a student and right now living with her mom while persueing her degree is better than her struggling to make ends meet. She doesn't have kids so it's ideal for her. If she wants to have sex? She goes to her bf's house. No big deal.[/b]

I'm not arguing that. If you are helping someone else by letting them live for free under your roof, then you should be able to institute a "no pink shirts on Friday unless you happen to be visiting a Mosque, in which case, only hot pink is acceptable" rule if you want to. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a stupid rule, though.

I just think that's a pretty stupid rule for a 32 year old woman, that's all.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Super Mommy
I just had to say, the commercial made me laugh.

</div>
June 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I know the rule is stupid. And so does my friend. But nothing she can do about it till she can get her own place. She's 2 semesters away from graduating.

June 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
*meh* Just makes me think of when I was a teen.
June 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It did nothing for me...mainly because I think you have to be an adult to understand it,so its not like my kids are going to watch it and think "wow..teenagers practicing to get dressed quickly so they arent caught having sex!!" kwim?
It actually made me laugh,because although it doesnt say they are teenagers anywhere,it reminds me of when I was one

I must say that I think the message is all wrong though..Who has sex in their house when one of their parents is actually there!? I dont care if I could get dressed in 3 seconds,I would NEVER have sex if I knew my mum or dad were a few feet away That would be WAY to weird.
Dont people do it in cars anymore???

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What was the point of the commercial - to showcase the clothes? I am confused what the message was besides shock appeal.
June 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What was the point of the commercial - to showcase the clothes? I am confused what the message was besides shock appeal.[/b]
Exactly...I didnt get it either.Maybe they are advertising quick-fit clothing? Clothing that takes less time to put on and take off lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What was the point of the commercial - to showcase the clothes? I am confused what the message was besides shock appeal.[/b]
I didn't get it either

I do want to say, that Saatchi and Saatchi is a major advertising company that a lot of companies use for their commercials, so it's not like JCP used some random, unknown company. Stuff like this happens all the time, and companies shoot down lots of ads before they make it to air. It's really not surprising to me because I would venture to guess the people in charge of doing this ad were fresh out of college (I swear most of the people in our marketing department look like they're 18 years old), so commercials like this aren't a big deal to them. That's why the actual companies review them before they are aired.
June 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm only 23 and the commercial was still a little shocking to me but maybe it's more because I am a mother. The thought of that being my little girl one day makes me sick. I REALLY hope she will be safe and not end up a young, single mom like me. So anything that might send her the message to sneak behind my back and have sex (that could quite possibly be unprotected) is awful to me.

I do find the ad kind of funny but I just don't like the fact that it had nothing to do with clothes and that the ad company was trying to make ads for JCP focused on increasing their teen market. Sex should not be involved in marketing to teens, IMO. Dating, kissing, etc sure but straight up, sneak behind your parents back, S-E-X should not be a marketing ploy whether the ad ever goes to air or not.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It did nothing for me...mainly because I think you have to be an adult to understand it,so its not like my kids are going to watch it and think "wow..teenagers practicing to get dressed quickly so they arent caught having sex!!" kwim?
It actually made me laugh,because although it doesnt say they are teenagers anywhere,it reminds me of when I was one

I must say that I think the message is all wrong though..Who has sex in their house when one of their parents is actually there!? I dont care if I could get dressed in 3 seconds,I would NEVER have sex if I knew my mum or dad were a few feet away That would be WAY to weird.
Dont people do it in cars anymore??? [/b]
OH! Is that what the dressing/undressing was all about? Practising getting dressed quickly? That totally went over my head. I thought they were just trying on different clothes til they thought they looked right for their date.

June 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Christy72
There is an update in there that says this isn't real. who knows. I thought it was horrible though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search