Abandoning an animal

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got to thinking about this recently. My neighbors abandoned their cat a while back now....and since then I have ended up looking after him. I cannot take him into the house as he showed up when I had a newborn & already 2 indoor cats, etc. SO instead I have vetted him, fed him & built him a "cat house" (we live in Michigan where it can get ridiculously cold). Anyway - I checked with our local shelter about getting him a home. I asked a LOT of questions & was told that basically about 85% of cats get put to sleep. So I guess my question is this...if my neighbors really couldn't take care of the ca,t is it actually more cruel to leave him behind or to take him to a shelter that kills 85% of the cats that show up? Surely he had a better chance on the streets than that in this area.....

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that the shelters have a high euthanization rate. It's so sad.

I think that abandoning a pet is abuse, even if you have the rationalization that if you take them to a shelter they only may have a 15% chance of finding a new home. Abandoning an animal doesn't mean that they won't end up in a shelter, and it certainly increases the chances of them being hurt or killed by a car, people, or another animal. It really upsets me when people do that. Our cat has been using the kitchen as his litter box lately (he has emotional issues we are working on. I wish I was kidding ) but if we were to get rid of him I would never just drop him off outside. I'd be sure that he was going to a home or a no-kill shelter.

June 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
While I think it's wrong to abandon an animal it does seem that animal might have a better chance at life by living on the "streets" rather than going to a shelter. On the other hand though death on the streets can be long, slow, and painful for an animal versus relatively quick and painless (not always) by being euthanized in a shelter.

It's kind of a lose/lose situation. Was the cat an indoor cat when it lived with its owner? I have two indoor cats and I don't know if they'd have a clue what to do outside. I got them both as kittens and they've never been outside.

If it was an outdoor cat to begin with then hopefully it knows how to defend itself and survive.

It's nice of you to be taking care of the cat though.

June 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
This is a tough question because many shelters don't have the capacity to hold cats for an extended period of time, so many do get put to sleep. But at the same time, abandoning an animal, especially a pet who has limited (or no) survival skills, is cruel because the animal could get hit by a car, killed by another animal, or die of starvation. Your neighbor's abandoned kitty is very very lucky to have you, even if you cannot actually "take it in".

Personally, I think people need to put a lot more thought into getting a pet than they do. It saddens me deeply that people can feel as though they can get a pet and then just abandon it one day (whether in a shelter or just leaving it to be a stray). I think that when a person buys or adopts a living, breathing animal, they need to understand that it's a lifelong commitment until that animal dies. It really irritates me when people feel as though an animal is disposable. If you're moving, then don't choose to move somewhere that does not allow your pet to go with you.

I think the only option to getting rid of an animal that I understand is placing it in a new home. I had a cat in college and developed an allergy to it, but instead of abandoning it or leaving it in a shelter, I found the cat a new home. I still felt bad about not being able to keep the cat after I had taken on that commitment, but at least by finding the cat a new home, I feel like I gave it a much better chance than turning it into a stray or leaving it in a shelter to be put to sleep.
June 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I truly believe if you cannot take care of an animal, don't get it.

There are no-kill shelters out there, just gotta find them. Or post an ad on Craig's List, though they recommend you don't put "free" in the title or description because they have found some people obtain animals that way specifically to abuse them.

Beck, I think it's great you are looking after this animal, even if you can't take it in. Not many people would actually do that. I can't do it, as one of my neighbors has about 20 outdoor cats (I am NOT kidding!) and if I feed any stray animals outside, I will have the cat problem in my yard. But I do have 4 cats of my own.
My FIL used to take care of a stray cat till it died of natural causes (he took care of this cat 10+ years). In the winter time, he would put the cat in a cage downstairs in the basement with food and a litter box at night so the cat eouldn't freeze.

June 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
TOTALLY ditto the no kill shelters, and thats exactly what I was going to say. A simple search online will tell you about the ones in your area. Even if you dont care about the worth of an animal, its still a life and worthy of you putting some time into helping it stay alive. Its not the animals' fault that you can't take care of-- what a crappy luck of the draw that another family might have kept it and taken care of it or at least found it a home or no kill shelter, whereas the family it was with decided it didnt want to take the time to even DO ANYTHING for the animal if they couldnt take care of it.

We have multiple no kill shelters here and I am 10000% in support of them. They get donations and money offers to keep them in business and are way more popular here than "regular" shelters

June 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is how my family got most of their dogs. Animals were abandoned next to us and since we had acreage, we took them in. They lived outside, very few moved inside. It is really sad and I don't know what the solution is but it has to be better than abandonment.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 30th, 2008, 06:23 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree there has to be something better than leaving an animal behind....I just think that it can be better than a shelter with stats like ours. We don't have a no kill shelter close to here. Our closest is an hour a way and has up to a 4 week waiting period. I guess this is more about how stunned I was that so many animals are put down here. I wouldn't go to the shelter to get a pet right now as I don't see how I could afford one or want to add that - but this kitty is different. He just needed someone. In the winter it does get cold here & I hated that for him. His house is pretty good - I even insulated it with 6' of home insulation & put all kind of bedding in it & when I was worried that it was "too cold" I would heat bricks in the oven & wrap them in towels & tuck them in with him. He showed up in Feb 2007 & I have been trying to find him a family ever since. He is the nicest cat, wants to come in the house, lets my 15 month old hug him & love on him all the time. It makes me sad that anyone wouldn't want him as I think he's awesome. I just wish he could have a real home where he could be in the house. My 2 boys barely get along with each other as it is, I can't imagine trying to bring another cat in the house.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beck, I think you did the right thing. Our cat is the first one that I've ever had (and he's completely indoors) but I have always been under the impression that if you care for an outdoor cat by feeding them and offering them shelter they will pretty much stick around the area and not wander.

One reason I feel so strongly against abandonment was an experience I had in high school. One morning while we were waiting for the bus there was a dog wandering in the street. In hindsight I wish one of us had done something, but at the time the bus was going to get there any minute, and it was a fairly large dog with no tags. And of course this was in the dark ages before everyone had cell phones. Anyway, before we decided what to do a car came along and intentionally sped up and hit and killed the dog. Maybe the dog was someone's pet that just got out of the yard, who knows? But I will never agree that just abandoning an animal in hopes that someone will pick it up is ever the best thing to do.

Quote:
We have multiple no kill shelters here and I am 10000% in support of them. They get donations and money offers to keep them in business and are way more popular here than "regular" shelters[/b]
My parents got their dog from a no-kill shelter, who in turn had gotten him from one of the county shelters where he was going to be one of the next to be put down. He does have his weird personality quirks (who doesn't.. lol), but he is a great dog. They will take in dogs/cars that need healing or help to train them to be better pets. There is nothing wrong with a killing shelter, in general, in my opinion. They just have too many strays to deal with and not enough funding to have a large enough facility or staff. It's just a heartbreaking situation, which is why it is great that people will step in and start no-kill shelters to help some of these animals.

Beck, I just had another idea. Have you tried a search for breed specific rescues? I know they have them for dogs.

July 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Veteran
I think that they could have tried to find the cat a home..How could you just leave an animal behind to fend for themselves..There are also "no kill shelters"..They could have found somewhere and done something more for this animal..I think you have been wonderful in trying to do as much as you have..It is so sad how people discpose of pets like garbage

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search