co-sleeping

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Co-sleeping
Nope not at all, but they slept in the same room 10 13.51%
nope and slept in their own room 10 13.51%
Yes, for the first few nights we were home then in a different bed/same room 3 4.05%
yes for the first few nights, then in their own room 0 0%
yes for the first few weeks then in different bed/same room 4 5.41%
yes for the first few weeks then in their own room 2 2.70%
first few months then different bed/same room 5 6.76%
first few months then own room 2 2.70%
up until 6 months then same room 4 5.41%
up until 6 months then own room 5 6.76%
one year then same room 2 2.70%
one year then own room 3 4.05%
over one year- please explain 24 32.43%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just curious. I couldnt put ALL the options, i had in mind- because it would take forever- but if yours isnt up there, or you need to elaborate- please do.

tonight is the first night piper has been in her own room im more upset then her-lol

also if you chose one that said- yes. then different bed/same room when did they move into their own room- or when are they going to.

June 29th, 2008, 11:01 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
Ayden slept in bed with me for about 10 months, then she transitioned to her Pack 'N Play right next to my bed. She moved into her own room/crib at one year. I'm not quite sure what the sleeping arrangements with this baby will be.

June 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michael (who is coming up on one year) has been in his own room and crib since we came home (we came home at five days post-partum, so the first five days he was in the bassinet rooming in with me at the hospital).

It wasn't a decision based on a particular philosophy or parenting style: he quite simply slept better on his own, not being held and not when there were other people in the room rustling about. We figured this out VERY quickly.

I sleep best when no one is touching me (I'm constantly pushign DH's hand off me, poor guy ) and I sleep best in a quiet, dark room ... so I guess he just takes after his mom!

ETA: I should clarify that if he hadn't slept well on his own, I would have had him in my room in a bed-side sleeper or bassinet. Due to my DH being a very heavy sleeper and me being on the plus-side, plus knowing someone who had a co-sleeping accident, I personally wasn't comfortable with it. But I'm of the firm opinion that the decision falls under the "to each their own" category, so long as the safest possible arrangements are made (either in a crib sleeping situation or a co-sleeping situation). I do think it's irresponsible to not follow the safety recommendations EITHER for cribs or co-sleeping.

June 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
I chose the last option but we are more of a combo between it and same room/different bed.

My older DS slept on my chest for his first 4 months. I sleep much better on my own (I hate anything/one touching me too!) but my son would only sleep on his tummy and it terrified me. After that, we were only waking each other up more often than not so he moved into his crib beside our bed but he still ended up sleeping with me for the most part, he just seemed to sleep better that way. We kept that arrangement until he was just over 2 and we moved, since it was already a change for him we just moved him into his own single bed in his own room with no problems. This baby sleeps mostly in his own bassinet beside our bed but will sleep on my chest if he is having a hard time sleeping.

June 30th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I NEVER co-slept until I had Noelia,and even then we only did it for 3 weeks because it was the ONLY way to get any sleep.Once she started sleeping better at nights,we put an end to it.
We DO co-room though.My kids always stay in my room until they are 2 years old,I have the crib by my bed so that I can tend to them quickly if they have a bad night,want feeding,need comforting etc etc
I dont like the thought of a nursery..I think those are more for the mother.A baby doesnt NEED its own room at all,and I find it absurd to have to get up and go into another room to tend your baby when its so much easier to be able to reach over and have him/her right there.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I answered the top one... while we never officiall co-slept, I napped with Emma in our bed many, many times in those first few months. I also pulled her into bed with me in the early mornings when she would wake up at 5am or so, where I could nurse and snooze a bit more. So while I don't officially consider it co-sleeping since she always slept in her bassinette overnight, we did 'sort of' co-sleep other times for shorter periods of time.

We moved her from our room in the bassinette into her crib in her own room when she was around 3 months old. She never had any problem with it and transitioned easily. She started sleeping through the night REGULARLY around 6 months.

I might also add that we always put Emma to bed awake (or tried to, anyway!) and I seriously think this was one of the best things that we ever did. In her 2+ years now, she has always been able to put herself to sleep and has been a good sleeper for naps & overnight. I know some of it just depends on the kid, but I am so glad that I did not get into the habit of having to nurse or rock her to sleep every night to get her to go to sleep. It's honestly been very easy and sleep has never been an issue in our house.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
June 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We still co-sleep & DS is 15 months. We use a side-car crib now & have since he was about a year. It allows us to co-sleep & spread out a little. We didn't start co-sleeping. He slept in his own bed until at least 4 months. He slept awful too. We co-slept because I would bring him back to bed with me after being up & down & exhausted & decided he was finally big enough I felt safer to co-sleep & that was it. I got MUCH better sleep & so did he when I decided to just have him sleep with us. Then around a year he started to really crowd me so we added the crib.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 30th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Tofu Bacon
Ds slept in his crib right away because he liked having his own space. Then at around 12 months old he suddenly stopped sleeping through the night and the only way we could get some sleep was by co-sleeping. We all loved it, so there was no rush to get him back into the crib. He co-slept with us until he was 2.5, when one night he announced "Want to sleep in crib."

Dd has co-slept with us since birth and, same as ds, is welcome to stay as long as she wants to.
June 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
we co-sleep for a few reasons, one of them to reduce the risk of SIDS. both my kids were out of my bed around a year old and into toddler beds. no tears, no problems, it was a simple transition.
June 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
We co-slept nightly until DD turned about 17 months - at that point we moved to a bigger house, and we made up her bedroom nice and she wanted to switch.

About 2 months ago, at 2 1/2, she started to want to co-sleeps with us sometimes - it's probably about a 30% chance that she'll end up in out bed. Neither DH nor I mind, we keep a "family bed" and think that the healthiest way for DD to become independent is mostly by choice, with a little push from us once in a while. When I was growing up, my mom's bed was always open to me if I woke up in the middle of the night or something, and we want the same thing for DD.
June 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Anthony he slept in our room for 8 months, but in his own bed.

With Anastasia she slept in her co-sleeper for the first 6 months and then moved into our bed. It's where she decided she wanted to sleep. She is still there.

This baby will start out in the co-sleeper and decide from there where he or she wants to sleep.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Noah is 5 and still sleeps with us. He sometimes sleeps in his own bed and he has the goal of sleeping in there full time before school starts in August. We started co-sleeping because I couldn't stand the thought of him waking up and being the tiniest bit afraid. We came home from the hospital on a Sunday and that was his first night in the bed with us. It has been great for him.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

June 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bassinet in our room for the first 5.5 months, then to a crib in her own room. Sometimes for the first few months I'd bring her in the bed with me after dh got up for work. I'd nurse her lying down and then we'd both snooze for a little longer. For the most part she's a better sleeper being on her own, and it's actually hard to get her to sleep unless she is able to stretch out in her own crib.

I can't see myself co-sleeping in the same bed. When she was with me those mornings my sleep quality was kind of crappy, and neither dh nor I felt safe doing it with both of us there. Our bed has a pillow-top mattress and he's a heavy sleeper. Though if that's the only way we could get a future child to sleep, I'm sure we'd figure something out. I'm just so thankful that dd is an independent sleeper so we all get our own space.

June 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
For the first 2 months Ben slept in our bed with me (DH had to sleep else where because we have a small bed). Then he stopped sleeping well. He and I both are light sleepers and we kept waking each other up. We were both miserable. So I moved him to his bassinet in our room and life was good again! At 5 months he moved to his own room which is only about 10 steps away from mine so he didn't go far!

June 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM
MamaBx3
I didn't vote -- because our situation wasnt up there

Sophia slept very well in her bassinet and up until she was 5 months in her crib. She started sleeping through the night at 3 months (10 pm until 8 am).. I was so happy Then at 5 months she started waking up and NOT wanting to be in her crib at all .. So for about 2 weeks I'd just walk with her until she went back to sleep.. but as soon as I put her back in her crib she'd freak out again. So I gave up and started bringing her into our bed.
She was sleeping with us up until about a month and a half ago ----- We bought her a toddler bed and she's been fine in there ever since Wish I thought of it sooner!

* Oh , and Vae never slept in bed with us .. she is a HUGE bed hog and didn't hate her crib .. so there was never really a reason.
June 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I picked the last option. DD is only 5 months old but we don't have a timeline of when to put her in her own room. We are just going to play it by ear and see when she is ready for that. If shes over a year then we are fine with that so thats why I picked the last one.

June 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We never co-slept. DS was in a bassinet in our room for the first few nights, mainly because "the books" told us this would be best. We figured that he'd stay there for a few months before going into the crib in his room.

But nobody got any sleep; the slightest stir by the baby woke both me and DH and we'd wait for the crying. Yet it turns out that most times my son was just stirring in his sleep, so we'd wake for nothing. After a few days we put him in his crib in his own room, with a monitor, and it worked for everyone. DS slept through the night by the time he was about three months old. So when we had DD we started her in her crib/own room, and that worked out fine too.

If their own rooms hadn't worked out, we would have considered co-sleeping. I'm certainly not against it, as many moms of co-sleepers have talked about their success and happiness with it. I figure that whatever works best for the entire family is what a family should do.
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
by the way co-sleeping means sleeping with the baby in arms reach (whether in bed with mom or in a bassinet right next to the bed). bed sharing means baby sleeping in bed with you. I just assumed you meant bed sharing when I took the poll though.
June 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've co-slept with all of our children.

Jake slept in our bed until he was about 5 1/2. After that, he went into his own bed, in his own room.
Shane was in our bed until he was about 3 1/2. He then went into his own bed, and shared a room with Jake. So for a while we had two kids in our bed.
Brynne still sleeps in our bed ....she just turned 2. I have no idea how long she'll be in with us. I'm guessing atleast another year.
Claire was in the basinette up against my side of the bed. However, about 2 weeks ago we moved her into a crib ... which is now next to our bed. She isn't in our bed b/c I don't feel it's safe for her while Brynne is still there.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

June 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DD is almost 2 and still sleeps with us. Depending on this baby, what he likes will depend on if he co sleeps at night or not. It all depends on him, but I wanthim with me so I can BF easier at night.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search