Plastic Surgery

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If this has been done, sorry! I looked through the threads and couldn't find any recent topics.

How do you feel about plastic surgery for purely cosmetic purposes? (Not for medical purposes such as reconstruction or correction of a deformity.)

If you are for it, is there a point where you draw the line? (i.e. a certain number of surgeries, or certain type.)

In your opinion, what are valid reasons for wanting such a surgery?

I'm interested to hear responses.

Lisa

July 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I find it unecessary...to be honest...if not for medical reasons thats money that could feed children, pay for their medical expenses because they have no money to go to a doctor.

If someone wants to feel good about themselves I say the best way isn't a boob job or a tummy tuck but rather helping peopl who really need it

<div align="center"><div align='center'>KENDRA & JUNIOR</div><div align="center">MARRIED SINCE 10/24/2006</div></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center">DD SAMYERA CHARLEE-JO</div><div align="center">8/27/07</div><div align="center">5LBS 14OZ 19IN</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center">DD SHYLAH OLAVEE JORDYNN 9/14/08</div><div align="center">7LBS 13OZ, 20.5 IN</div><div align="center">BREASTFEEDING SINCE 9/14/08</div>
July 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
How do you feel about plastic surgery for purely cosmetic purposes? (Not for medical purposes such as reconstruction or correction of a deformity.)

I'm ok with it, there are a few things I'd like done to make me look a little bit better. I'd love to have the bump taken off my nose. it doesn't interfere with my life, but I'd like to have it sloped without that stupid bump.
I'd also love a breast reduction. Yes, this could be considered a medical one, as I am overly large, but i don't want it to make me smaller, I want them perkier! LOL... Being large all my life has made them look like those of a much much older woman.
I'd also love a tummy tuck... but that's because I'm vain at times.

If you are for it, is there a point where you draw the line? (i.e. a certain number of surgeries, or certain type.)
I think unless the job is botched, there should be ONE surgery allowed on each body part with the exception of a boob job (those occassionaly need to be fixed up after a few years)

There are all kinds of valid reasons. Self esteem can be greatly improved by a small procedure. I'd be here all day if I listed the reasons I could think of.

July 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll answer my own questions...

For myself and my body, I wouldn't do it. Of course there are parts of my body that I am less than thrilled with, but I am of the belief that I was made the way I was meant to be, and since nothing in it's current state is hurting me, then I will leave them the way they are. I'm not against it for other people if they wish, I just wouldn't do it myself.

I think some of them are stupid - like calf implants or botox because it is expensive, not permanent and injecting your skin with something that has no benefit other than freezing a few wrinkles. I think it is sad that there are people (not just women) that have procedure after procedure done because they are addicted to it and can't stop, but I wouldn't say I have an exact idea of when enough is enough or what is too extreme.

I'm not sure. I want to say that "to make me look better" isn't really a valid reason, but I won't because I cannot possibly know another woman's situation and how she feels about her body. I think that a person who believes that they will not be beautiful or worthwhile without having cosmetic surgery should probably not do it just then and maybe go to counseling to work out self esteem problems, but ultimately I would not cast judgement on another person's choice to have a procedure because I cannot truly know their motives.

Quote:
I'd also love a breast reduction. Yes, this could be considered a medical one, as I am overly large, but i don't want it to make me smaller, I want them perkier![/b]

In my opinion, that would lean more towards medical necessity than vanity. It's been proven that being overly endowed can cause back problems and other issues stemming from bad posture, etc.

Lisa

July 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you feel about plastic surgery for purely cosmetic purposes? (Not for medical purposes such as reconstruction or correction of a deformity.) If I had the money I would love a tummy tuck. It is not up to me to tell someone they can or cannot have surgery for cosmetic reasons only. As long as they have the money and children are fed clothed and a roof over their heads its really none of my business

If you are for it, is there a point where you draw the line? (i.e. a certain number of surgeries, or certain type.) I dont think they should have so much done that they look like Michael Jackson or Joan Rivers, but there doctors out there who will do it no matter how many times. But again I am not paying for it so it should not be my call.

In your opinion, what are valid reasons for wanting such a surgery? Just because I might not think your reason is not valid does not make it not valid. My opinion is of course resconstructive breast surgery top on my list. The rest you could go on all day as to what they are and again might not be valid to someone else. To have a better self esteem sure but again not my call.

July 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Tofu Bacon
If someone has the money, its their prerogative. Although I'd probably be too squeamish to have it done (one unnecessary surgery was enough for me) I would love to have a breast reduction so I could have cute little B-cups to fit my frame and maybe even have my stretched-out belly skin removed.
July 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's *usually* a misplaced way to "fix" something ... that's a bad explanation. Let's see.... well, I think that more often than not, plastic surgery for purely cosmetic purposes is done because the person thinks that if Body Part A is fixed, then Emotion A will be better (ie. I feel unattractive because I have a tummy pooch) when in actual fact the body part is sort of the scapegoat for something else that is causing the emotion (ie. I think I feel unattractive because I have a tummy pooch, but really it's because I have poor self-esteem due to a bad relationship.) Those are simplistic explanations but what I'm trying very uneloquently to get across is that far too often people think the "fix" is going to "fix" them ... but it doesn't, and then they're looking for the next thing to "fix".

(I don't think that's just the case with plastic surgery... I think a lot of people do that with cars, jobs, household goods, etc. The "everything will be great as soon as we finally get/buy/aquire xxx item" syndrome.)

So I guess the short version is: i think the majority of purely cosmetic surgeries are unnecessary and are feeding into a conception that we can make things in our life wonderful and perfect if only we looked wonderful and perfet.

Having said all that, something like a cleft lip might be considered "purely cosmetic" ... or a missing ear lobe ... or something of that nature. I don't think having such things fixed falls into the same category.

I definitely think a line needs to be drawn with teen surgeries, even if the parents approve it. It horrifies me that there are moms out there who encourage their daughters to get nose jobs or boob jobs or whatever. I can't imagine how it would feel to have hte one person who is supposed to love you just the way you are basically say "you're NOT good enough this way, let's get it fixed up".

But for adults, I don't know if I could actually say there should be limits. It's not my body or health or life .... how can I say what they should have?

A genuine deformity (like a missing external ear, or a massive growth on someone's face) or something that physically limits your ability to live a normal life (extremely large breasts, for example, do genuinely inhibit someone physically from having a normal life due ot the extreme back pain.)

Generally speaking, the risk of infection, of things looking worse than they did to begin with, even death, are so simply not worth it to me. Do I have body parts that kind of make me cringe sometimes (big and not so perky boobs are at the top of the list, but stretch-mark-post-baby-tummy is on there too!) but as far as I'm concerned, the only people who are seeing these things are my husband (and he loves me even with flaws), my doctor (who I don't give a crap what she thinks of my stretch marks ) and my kids from time to time. It's not worht the risk, to me, to fix something that phsycially does not NEED fixing - the "re-do" rates of plastic surgery, along with post-op complications, is extremely high.

If you are considering plastic surgery and you want to find a reason to talk yourself out of it, just google "botched plastic surgery" or check out siliconeholocaust.org .... even plastic surgery support forums (like Justmommmies but for people getting various plastic surgeries) where people were posting "regular" post-op pictures was enough to scare the hell out of me. A friend of mine had breast reduction surgery and had posted pictures in her online journal on such a forum.. after seeing some of hte other online journals I was utterly convinced that plastic surgery was SO not for me.

July 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woohoo, I love my funbags!!! Worth every penny.

I think every individual who undergoes plastic surgery should first have a screening with a psychologist to ensure that they don't have unrealistic expectations (wanting to be perfect, expecting it to change their life) and that they aren't trying to "fix" themselves or raise their self-esteem by changing their outer appearance. I think these types are also the ones who tend to get addicted to plastic surgery and acquiring the "perfect" body.

But if a strong confident woman wants to enlarge her breasts or lipo her butt, what's the big deal?

As far as the money issue, that could really be applied to many different aspects of life: bigger house, new car, name-brand clothes, etc. Different people have different priorities. I've lived without cable tv, eating out, or a cell phone (aside from a prepaid for emergencies) for years, but I chose to get a boob job. It was a priority for me, and I sacrificed in other areas of my finances to allow it to be possible, just like some people do for a nicer car, or bigger home, or nice vacations.

July 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't agree with it for the sole purpose of cosmetic. There are other ways to feel better about yourself.

July 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I'd also love a breast reduction. Yes, this could be considered a medical one, as I am overly large, but i don't want it to make me smaller, I want them perkier![/b]

In my opinion, that would lean more towards medical necessity than vanity. It's been proven that being overly endowed can cause back problems and other issues stemming from bad posture, etc.

Lisa
[/b]
Yeah, I keep getting told that I need one. However, the government says I have to be a C, and being a bit overweight it's going to make me look fat. I've seen the digital imaging, even the surgeon says nothing under a DD for my reduction, but if I want the government to pay for it, I have to be the C (unless I lose my weight and get under the overweight limit of 150, then I can choose... 17 lbs to go!)

I was a G before my first loss, now I'm an H... definitely back problems here.

July 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I find it unecessary...to be honest...if not for medical reasons thats money that could feed children, pay for their medical expenses because they have no money to go to a doctor.

If someone wants to feel good about themselves I say the best way isn't a boob job or a tummy tuck but rather helping peopl who really need it[/b]
That is a limited view. There are people who can do both. Many people can donate large sums of money to charity, volunteer their time and get boob jobs. None of these are exclusive of each other.
July 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM
whatever
Quote:
Quote:

If someone wants to feel good about themselves I say the best way isn't a boob job or a tummy tuck but rather helping peopl who really need it[/b]
That is a limited view. There are people who can do both. Many people can donate large sums of money to charity, volunteer their time and get boob jobs. None of these are exclusive of each other.
[/b]
Thank you! My husband and I both donate time and money to different charities and I have implants!

Quote:
Woohoo, I love my funbags!!! Worth every penny.

I think every individual who undergoes plastic surgery should first have a screening with a psychologist to ensure that they don't have unrealistic expectations (wanting to be perfect, expecting it to change their life) and that they aren't trying to "fix" themselves or raise their self-esteem by changing their outer appearance. I think these types are also the ones who tend to get addicted to plastic surgery and acquiring the "perfect" body.

But if a strong confident woman wants to enlarge her breasts or lipo her butt, what's the big deal?

As far as the money issue, that could really be applied to many different aspects of life: bigger house, new car, name-brand clothes, etc. Different people have different priorities. I've lived without cable tv, eating out, or a cell phone (aside from a prepaid for emergencies) for years, but I chose to get a boob job. It was a priority for me, and I sacrificed in other areas of my finances to allow it to be possible, just like some people do for a nicer car, or bigger home, or nice vacations.[/b]
I could not agree more with your entire post!!
July 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
I don't think it's for me to judge what anyone chooses to do with their own body.
However, I do agree with Christina's post. It is very easy to think that you will feel better if your boobs or face are perfect, when in fact it's something else triggering your unhappiness. However, I do concede that it is more than possible for a woman to get a procedure done and not go overboard or suffer disappointment when her life is then less than perfect.
I personally am exactly the way I was intended to be. I will never fix my big roman nose or my big butt. I simply wouldn't be me without them.

Besides without plastic surgery, we wouldn't have Jocelyn Wildenstein.
She's way too much fun.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
July 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say,if you have what it takes to get it done (money,guts lol) then go ahead Its not for me though.

Personally,I think some people go way to far..like Pamela Anderson.She looks REDICULOUS! Those great big deformed (they are dented) boobs and tooth pick legs look terrible.She is totally out of proportion.
I also think its dumb when someone get so much crap done that they walk around with a surprised look on their face and they are barely recognizable.

As much as I would love to change certain things on my body,I dont have the guts to do it because Id be scared to have wonky boobs that slip and slide all over my chest when pressed or boobs that look like a couple of grape fruits,or dimples where the liposuction went wrong (Tara reid) etc.
Out of all the plastic surgery pics Iv seen,VERY few look natural.I think I was traumatized when I saw a friends new boobs.When she wore something tight,her boobs would scoot up into her chest/neck area They also felt like stress releivers,not boobs (yes,she let me feel them lol).

Id love to look 18 again,but Im scared Id hate the results.I figure,Im a mom of 3 kids..Im allowed to look a little saggy at this point lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

July 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I don't see anything WRONG with it, whether cosmetic or not. But personally I wouldn't want to do it for cosmetic reasons alone. I'd rather age naturally (except for my grey hairs coming in!) But I do agree with Gina, some people go WAY overboard!

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Quote:
I say,if you have what it takes to get it done (money,guts lol) then go ahead Its not for me though.

Personally,I think some people go way to far..like Pamela Anderson.She looks REDICULOUS! Those great big deformed (they are dented) boobs and tooth pick legs look terrible.She is totally out of proportion.
I also think its dumb when someone get so much crap done that they walk around with a surprised look on their face and they are barely recognizable.

As much as I would love to change certain things on my body,I dont have the guts to do it because Id be scared to have wonky boobs that slip and slide all over my chest when pressed or boobs that look like a couple of grape fruits,or dimples where the liposuction went wrong (Tara reid) etc.
Out of all the plastic surgery pics Iv seen,VERY few look natural.I think I was traumatized when I saw a friends new boobs.When she wore something tight,her boobs would scoot up into her chest/neck area They also felt like stress releivers,not boobs (yes,she let me feel them lol).

Id love to look 18 again,but Im scared Id hate the results.I figure,Im a mom of 3 kids..Im allowed to look a little saggy at this point lol.[/b]
I totally agree with just about everything in this post. I've got a few friends with implants, and they're just not boobs anymore! LOL.

To the bolded... lol... yup, you are allowed to look a bit saggy after 3 kids.. BUT, how would you feel if you looked like that BEFORE you had your 3 kids, knowing it was going to get worse? That's what I'm facing... and it's rather scary.

July 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Quote:
BUT, how would you feel if you looked like that BEFORE you had your 3 kids, knowing it was going to get worse? That's what I'm facing... and it's rather scary.[/b]
Are you reffering to massive weight loss and fixing the saggy skin? If so,I totally agree with that.Infact,after going through the difficulties of loosing so much weight,I think its a cruel twist of nature to have to deal with saggy skin afterwards
I dont think that can be compared to having 100lbs of plastic injected into your lips or baseballs added to your chest...I admire and support people who have lost tons of weight and then find they have to make their skin fit again.Good luck to them!

July 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am undergoing weightloss suregery in about a month. A gastric bypass. After it is all said and doen and I am done having children, I will probably get a breast reduction (if needed) and a breast lift. They sag from breastfeeding. I will prbably need a tummy tuck to get rid of all the loose skin.

I think if it floats your boat, and you can afford it, then do it.

Its not my place to draw lines for anyone else, but for myself, I draw it at just wanting to look normal

</div>
July 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Quote:
BUT, how would you feel if you looked like that BEFORE you had your 3 kids, knowing it was going to get worse? That's what I'm facing... and it's rather scary.[/b]
Are you reffering to massive weight loss and fixing the saggy skin? If so,I totally agree with that.Infact,after going through the difficulties of loosing so much weight,I think its a cruel twist of nature to have to deal with saggy skin afterwards
I dont think that can be compared to having 100lbs of plastic injected into your lips or baseballs added to your chest...I admire and support people who have lost tons of weight and then find they have to make their skin fit again.Good luck to them!
[/b]
Ha! I wish it was from massive weight loss. LOL.. I'm one of those unlucky girls who got big fast, and the weight pulled the skin down. My doctor comments once a year when I have my gyn appt that I look like I've breast fed four kids... lol
I'm scared to see what my 45lb weight loss goal is going to do to them.

July 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Quote:
My doctor comments once a year when I have my gyn appt that I look like I've breast fed four kids... lol[/b]
Your doctor says that about your boobs!!??? OMG,Id be telling him to stick to his job and to make less comments on what he thinks your boobs look like
Firstly,its not his job to point out how atractive or not your boobs are,and secondly,no wonder you feel bad! If people (especially your doctor) are going to point out how "saggy" your boobs look,you are naturally going to feel bad about them kwim?
Im sure they are fine.But if you DO have anything done to them,it sould be because YOU want it done,not because someone has told you that it looks like youve BFd 4 kids.
If thats you in your siggy,I think you look GREAT! So your boobs are soft? Well,thats great!-more cushin for the pushin!! You dont want your DH to feel like hes making love to a bucket of lego do you???

I swear,I hate it when men poopoo saggy boobs! We arent perpetually 16 years old and its not even BFing that makes them sag.Its age,pregnancy (not BFing) and gravity etc
Like they (men) dont get old? They dont sag? They dont grow huge beer guts and get white hair? My DH made a comment on what my boobs could look like after my last pregnancy,so I said "well,I COULD get implants,but when Im 70,Ill look like this" (and I showed him this picture:

Now he loves my boobs!! (and I have BFd two of mt 3 kids).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search