Under age abusers...what should be done?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought of this after seeing this (it doesnt play automatically-you have to hit play)
By the way,this is a HORRIBLE video of a 16 year old bouncing an 8 month old baby off of an inflatable cushion-you dont have to watch it,you can just read the article if you dont want to see it.

Bouncing Baby Prank

I watched it and cried afterwards.THIS makes me wonder what kind of parents this kid has,because what 16 year old thinks of hurting a BABY? How can a kid come up with this and think "yeah,this´ll be fun! We´ll get it on camera and upload it onto youtube."
What should be done here? It says this kid has been arrested,but its already proven that he has quite a sick sense of humor,and no consience,because the baby was laying on the floor CRYING afterwards and he just laughs..he doesnt even run to see if the baby has been hurt! (Im sure the baby must have hit that TV before he fell to the ground)
IMO,if this kid is doing these kind of things for fun at the inocent age of 16,he should be removed from society ASAP.
This is what I was saying when I said that kids these days are getting worse and worse.I was watching the news a few nights back and they showed a group of kids (all boys) aproach a random boy in the street,and beat him senseless!! (there were broken bones) and they got it all on camera with a cell phone and uploaded it onto a website! These boys were all under 16 years old.
Iv seen a guy on a train walk up to a girl (who was sitting alone) and kick her in the face just because she wasnt Spanish! etc etc
Its all sick and they are ALL kids!

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

July 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
if anyone did that to my baby they wouldn't get the chance to go before the judge. that is just plain sickening. i think the teen should have to do jail time, spend time learning about child abuse and the damage it can be done then forced to have a vasectomy so he never has children of his own. i know thats extreeme and would never really happen but what he did never should hae happen either.
July 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what should be done with kids like this, but I do believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

This year, my DS (who was born last July) took part in a program called Roots of Empathy. It's a canadian program that is now in some places in the states and also in the UK. The idea is that a mom and a new baby (born over the summer months) is matched with an elementary school class. During the year, the baby makes monthly visits to the school. Before each visit, the students in the matched class will discuss various themes or issues - crying, growth, development, etc. - and then the mom can talk about these things at the visit. The kids get a chance to see how much baby has develped each month. A big part of this is them learning that babies need help, that they are crying because they need something not to be annoying, etc.

I can genuinely say that the kids in the class we were matched with learned a lot about caring, gentleness etc. over the year. By the last month, even when they wanted to cheer for something he had done (like crawling for the first time in front of them) they'd cheer in a calm hushed way so that DS wouldn't be overwhelmed.

Honestly, it was one of the best things we did this year - it was great for us too.

Many kids today grow up in single child homes, or only have one sibling - they aren't used to be being around babies as much. Simply exposing children to babies, and then also giving them some knowledge and tools about dealing with them, makes a huge difference in empathy. The research coming back out of some of the classrooms that have done the program is pretty remarkable.

Anyway, my point is, I think part of the issue with things ilke this is that empathy is not being learned by as many young children today. It's a very "me" oriented culture in many parts of the world. Helping children learn empathy might go a long way in stopping such things...

(You can learn more about Roots of Empathy here: http://www.rootsofempathy.org/ here's a brief snippet from their site: Roots of Empathy is an evidence-based classroom program that has shown dramatic effect in reducing levels of aggression among school children by raising social/emotional competence and increasing empathy.

July 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
That sounds like an awesome program. I agree that if these "troubled" teens had better role models and did learn better how to treat other people (children and adults alike) the whole world would be a better place.
July 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really was phenomenal... I urge anyone who is interested to check out the site and then start lobbying to get it in your district. The founder is an amazing woman, and this stuff wasn't just pulled out of a hat, it's based on significant research. She has a book about developing empathy in kids also called Roots of Empathy. Her name is Mary Gordon if anyone is ever interested in finding the book.

The best part was how much the kids truly fell in love with my DS, they were his biggest cheerleaders!!! When we had our goodbye visit, they gave us a big poster with a Wishing Tree drawn on, and they had all written wishes for his future on paper leaves and taped them on. We hung it on DS's wall, and we read one or two wishes every day.

The last day they also gave us a photo album with pictures from our visit all the way through the year. When I opened it, I started to get a little weepy because he looked so little in the first photos... the little girl sitting next to me (Grade 3) started patting my back and saying "It's ok, Mrs. X, it's ok." And kids sitting nearby (boys too!) started patting my arms or shoulders. Talk about learning empathy, and not being afraid to show it!

Anyway, I know I'm getting off the topic now, I just can't say enough good things about it.

July 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
stardusthealer's Avatar Super Mommy
What should be done to under age abusers?
What should be done and what is usually done is very different... alot of times the underage abuser is put in counselling and depending on if they knew what they were doing was wrong or not. Would sending them to facility for young offenders really doing anything if they didn't understand what they did was wrong nope. If they do know what they were doing they are usually sent to juvie and or put on parole.

1. Mom to Arielle13,Tyler 10.5, Dylan 8.5 and Autumn Rayne 21mths and Step dd Nevaeh 3

July 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
they will be slapped on the wrist....

but not if I was queen of the world.

</div>
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Here is another sick example of young abusers that happened not far from my hometown.

http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?id=13859
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2008...entprofile=1042

The girl got an 18 year sentence reduced to 6 years and apparently his trial isn't over yet.
Quote:
Trujillo plans to finish high school and take cosmetology classes in the youth offender program, which is a department of corrections program designed to provide physical, emotional and mental class structure for children to help them become productive members of society.[/b]
Too bad her little sister wont ever get the chance to become a productive member of society.

In cases like this I have to wonder what responsibility the mother had in leaving her 7 year old with her daughter and boyfriend when she knew he was abusive? It's just such a sad situation and unfortunatly the innocent one is the one who paid the ultimate price.

July 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I thought of this after seeing this (it doesnt play automatically-you have to hit play)
By the way,this is a HORRIBLE video of a 16 year old bouncing an 8 month old baby off of an inflatable cushion-you dont have to watch it,you can just read the article if you dont want to see it.

Bouncing Baby Prank

I watched it and cried afterwards.THIS makes me wonder what kind of parents this kid has,because what 16 year old thinks of hurting a BABY? How can a kid come up with this and think "yeah,this´ll be fun! We´ll get it on camera and upload it onto youtube."
What should be done here? It says this kid has been arrested,but its already proven that he has quite a sick sense of humor,and no consience,because the baby was laying on the floor CRYING afterwards and he just laughs..he doesnt even run to see if the baby has been hurt! (Im sure the baby must have hit that TV before he fell to the ground)
IMO,if this kid is doing these kind of things for fun at the inocent age of 16,he should be removed from society ASAP.
This is what I was saying when I said that kids these days are getting worse and worse.I was watching the news a few nights back and they showed a group of kids (all boys) aproach a random boy in the street,and beat him senseless!! (there were broken bones) and they got it all on camera with a cell phone and uploaded it onto a website! These boys were all under 16 years old.
Iv seen a guy on a train walk up to a girl (who was sitting alone) and kick her in the face just because she wasnt Spanish! etc etc
Its all sick and they are ALL kids![/b]
While I agree that what that 16 year old boy did is disgusting and wrong, and that video brought me to tears as well, I don't think removing him from society is the answer, at least not permanently. Of COURSE he needs to be punished to learn that his actions REALLY DO have consequences, but study after study (I'm exhausted or else I'd find some) show that the last part of the brain to develop (not until the late teen years) is the part that connects actions with consequences. Basically, common sense. This is an extreme case of that, and I think he does have some deeper issues than most teens, but I don't think his laughter was because of the baby crying or that he didn't care. He may have actually not even considered what harm he could have caused. There is a psychological test to determine of someone is a sociopath, but it is NEVER administered to anyone under the age of 18 because ALL teenager would test positive for sociopathology. It's just the way they're wired.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
an eye for an eye

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search