Black Hole

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Had to post this-- apparently the use of the SCIENTFIC term "Black Hole" is racist. This seriously makes me laugh.
I've got video too!
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/D...mp;pageId=1.1.1

In this video, he defends his comments, including that angel food cake and devils food cake are also racist
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/D...mp;pageId=1.1.1
Quote:
A special meeting about Dallas County traffic tickets turned tense and bizarre this afternoon.

County commissioners were discussing problems with the central collections office that is used to process traffic ticket payments and handle other paperwork normally done by the JP Courts.

Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said it seemed that central collections “has become a black hole” because paperwork reportedly has become lost in the office.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud “Excuse me!” He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a “white hole.”

That prompted Judge Thomas Jones, who is black, to demand an apology from Mayfield for his racially insensitive analogy.[/b]
[quote]

SO....
Do you believe or otherwise?

July 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG you have got to be kidding me after seeing the video no way do I believe he ment that as a racist comment

July 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heard about this and my jaw just dropped. Similar to the story like a week ago where a company banned the term "brainstorming" because it was offensive to people with epilepsy and to instead call it "thought showers" or "blue sky thinking" Talk about taking "political correctness" to a whole new, absolutely ridiculous & insane, level.

July 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Welcome to my hometown, Dallas, folks!

July 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I do not in any way think the term black hole, or his use of it here, is racist. A black hole is black because even light cannot escape from it .... this is a simple scientific concept (ok, not so simple ) and it has come to mean a place where things disappear and are never seen again. There is absolutely no "version" of this term, that I am aware of, that has some racial overtone because of the word black.

But I do think the "white hole" followup gave the first comment an unwarranted slant and made him/his colleague look stupid.

July 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I guess they need to rename the Blackjack, the Black Pearl, the Black Eyed Peas, Black Crows, Blackout....

July 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's racist at all.

How about Beaner's coffee shop's name being changed because Mexicans were offended by it? I'm Mexican and didn't think a thing of it. And neither did any of my family.

People are just being WAYYYY too PC now. It can get quite irritating.

July 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
ROFLMAO! THATS FOR REAL?
July 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG.... seriously? That's completely ridiculous. I don't even think I have words to express how stupid that is.

If "Black Hole" is no longer acceptable, then I want White-out changed to "Paint like substance that fixes typing/handwritten errors."

Lisa

July 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I do think the people who were offended were honestly thinking he was making a racial comment though. They didn't seem to know that there is such a thing as a black hole and that it has nothing to do with human race!

July 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so are we basically not alowed to say black at all aneymore?
July 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
whatever
Oh my, this reminds me of the feminist on Legally Blond, Semester v/s Ovester (sp) I think this is silly.
July 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

July 11th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cannot believe I claim this city as my hometown.
July 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we need a new word or words for black....how about "darker than brown hole"

Or "it fell into the lacking hue and brightness; absorbing light without reflecting any of the rays composing it...hole"

</div>
July 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
holy hell.... First of all, if you want to get technical you'd be hard pressed to find a truly "black" person. The skin color is various shades of brown ranging from light to dark but very few could be truly called "black". Black is the absence of any light or color.... The term is not offensive and people need to get their panties out of a bunch.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
I thought Angel's food cake was *ANGELS* food cake cause it was all light and fluffy kinda like a cloud or something ? and Devils food cake is the opposite.. like its heavy and chocolate-y and "sinful" (cause its so bad for you) and also because its DARK.. like you know.. the devil.

thats just so weird that ppl's minds can actually function that way to make a science term "racially insensitive." And I can't believe there was actually MORE than one person in THAT room to think that way (judge that asked for apology).

I thought it was funny though when the guy was like "FINE, a pink hole!"
July 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
LOL Pink hole sounds dirty. I'm gonna sue for sexual harassment.

July 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
Quote:
LOL Pink hole sounds dirty. I'm gonna sue for sexual harassment.[/b]
OMG I didnt even think about that...we should call in and demand an apology for that sexist comment! bah ha!
July 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
There. are. no. words.

Quote:
OMG.... seriously? That's completely ridiculous. I don't even think I have words to express how stupid that is.

If "Black Hole" is no longer acceptable, then I want White-out changed to "Paint like substance that fixes typing/handwritten errors."

Lisa[/b]
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
LOL Pink hole sounds dirty. I'm gonna sue for sexual harassment.[/b]
can't.....stop....laughing.....peeing on myself......ribs.....ouch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search