Study Links Caesareans With Births Before Term

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/health/r...&ei=5087%0A

Study Links Caesareans With Births Before Term
By DENISE GRADY

Premature single births have been increasing in the United States, mostly among infants delivered by Caesarean section, researchers are reporting. And they say some of the increase may be due to Caesareans that are not medically necessary.

The trend is worrisome because premature babies are at risk for breathing and feeding disorders, delayed brain development, other health problems and death.

A study of single births from 1996 to 2004 found an increase of one percentage point in premature deliveries, to 10.7 percent from 9.7. Ninety-two percent of those premature deliveries were by Caesarean. Most were "late preterm," born after 34 to 37 weeks of pregnancy, instead of the normal 38 to 42 weeks.

Late preterm babies make up more than 70 percent of all premature births in the United States, and are the fastest growing subgroup of preterm births, the researchers found. Even though they may seem close to full-term, they still face increased risks of serious problems from being born too early.

The study focused on single births rather than multiple ones, because multiple births are much more likely to involve complications that require Caesareans.

The report was based on a review of birth records and previous studies, conducted by the March of Dimes Foundation, Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is to be published in the June issue of Clinics in Perinatology, a medical journal.

The researchers say they cannot be sure how much prematurity can be blamed on unneeded Caesareans, because it is often hard to tell from medical records exactly why a Caesarean was done. The Caesarean rate has been climbing steadily in recent years, from 20.7 percent in 1996 to 30.3 percent in 2005.

"The practice of obstetrics has changed so dramatically in the past 20 years, so that induction of labor and Caesarean section have become the norm," said Dr. Alan R. Fleischman, the medical director and senior vice president of the March of Dimes.

In observations at community hospitals across the country, researchers have seen obstetricians stretching diagnoses a bit to justify Caesareans that are not truly necessary, Dr. Fleischman said.

"Perhaps for convenience, perhaps out of fear of litigation, perhaps in response to a maternal request, they are scheduling their deliveries rather than allowing labor to begin," he said. "And this comes when there is an epidemic in America of prematurity."

Dr. Sarah J. Kilpatrick, chairwoman of the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Illinois, and chairwoman of the committee on obstetric practice for the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, took issue with some of Dr. Fleischman's comments and said there was no proof that unnecessary Caesareans were occurring or leading to premature births.

Noting that the college of obstetricians has guidelines stating strongly that labor should not be induced and Caesareans should not be performed before 39 weeks unless there is a genuine medical need for it, Dr. Kilpatrick said, "We stand by that."

She continued, "On the other hand, what I would agree with, I think there is pressure by patients on physicians to deliver early-ish when someone's uncomfortable, and there is medico-legal pressure. Obstetricians are afraid of being sued."

The fear of lawsuits is so great that at the first hint of a problem, Dr. Kilpatrick said, obstetricians "may proceed with a Caesarean to deliver the fetus when the fetus is probably fine."

She also said that obstetricians might have grown a bit complacent about delivering babies a few weeks early because pediatricians and neonatologists had become so good at taking care of premature infants.

"They may let their guard down around 36 weeks because they're so sure the baby will be fine," Dr. Kilpatrick said. "This paper is a good reminder to everybody that 36 weeks is still preterm."
July 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I never take any article seriously that has the word STUDY in the title. There are too many what if's involved, especially when it comes to the birth of a baby.
However, my SIL did have her caesarean booked at 38 weeks.. but she had gestational diabetes.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't imagine there are too many c-sections being scheduled prior to 38 weeks because mom is uncomfortable. I think most of those cited between 34-38 weeks are probably due to medical issues and baby is coming anyway. In a situation like that it may be safer to deliver by c-section. That way they can be sure of having the neonatologist and equipment on hand. Unfortunately it's something that you can't prove either way. Doctors can fudge reasons for doing a procedure to make it medically necessary for insurance coverage and no one would ever know. But of all the birth stories I've read on here I have never seen one who had a c-section done pre-term for convenience. I've seen several women complain when their doctors won't do one prior to x number of weeks. Personally I still think even 38 weeks is still too early for some babies.

July 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The standard time in our area for a scheduled cesarean or induction is 37 weeks, and there are a few who will do 36. If you'er planning a cesarean, whether its repeat or for any other reason - all drs here schedule them at 37 weeks unless you really insist on waiting. Allllllllll drs here offer all women, regardless of risk factors, an elective non medically necessary induction at 37 weeks (and you can bet thats a huge contributing factor to our nearly 50% cesarean rate at our local hospital).

So - its more common than you may think.

Lala.

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Wow! 37 weeks is crazy IMO without a medical issue. .

July 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Christy72
Quote:
The standard time in our area for a scheduled cesarean or induction is 37 weeks, and there are a few who will do 36. If you'er planning a cesarean, whether its repeat or for any other reason - all drs here schedule them at 37 weeks unless you really insist on waiting. Allllllllll drs here offer all women, regardless of risk factors, an elective non medically necessary induction at 37 weeks (and you can bet thats a huge contributing factor to our nearly 50% cesarean rate at our local hospital).

Lala.[/b]
Wow that is kind of scary, especially at 36w. My doc woudn't do my c-section prior to 38w. I had to have a repeat c-section for various pg related complications. My daughter was perfect and 9lb 13oz. I wouldn't do one sooner than that though. I know a lady who was pushing her doc for an induction and he wouldn't do it early. She was finally induced at around 40w and her baby was 6lb9oz. Can you imagine if they had done it early.
July 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
I delivered my DD at 35 weeks via c/s because it got too dangeroud of both me and her with me having Eclampsia. She stayed in the NICU for several days because of feeding issues and that she weighed 4lbs at birth.

If I didnt have the problems I did when I was pg, I would have elected to go into labour myself, but my OB felt it was critical for the emergency c/s, and I fully agree with his decision. (though I was freaking out at the time)

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
July 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had 4 C's, the first was an emergency but the other 3 were scheduled at 39 weeks, My Dr and the others in the practice will NOT do one anytime before unless there is a danger to baby or mommy.

I see NOTHING wrong for a woman to have a C... But to have one for NO reason, just to have one is something I dont agree with. Its bad enough a lot of people think women who have C's are less of a woman and say we technically didnt give birth, now we have females doing it for fun.

July 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Quote:
She was finally induced at around 40w and her baby was 6lb9oz. Can you imagine if they had done it early.[/b]
Yeah my dd was 7 lbs 5 oz and she was born a few days shy of 42 weeks. There's no way I'd personally schedule an induction or c-section prior to 40 weeks without a life or death situation, like eclampsia.

July 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
i don't think it's really taken seriously just how many women have c-section just because they had one before, or because they claim to be uncomfortable with their first pregnancy.

i know all data and studies can have 2 sides, but i completely believe these numbers. it is a FACT that cesareans can cause breathing problems, and obviously not all due datea are correct to the exact day. due dates are estimates of baby's expected arrival. so even if off by 3 days, that could make the difference between 37 weeks and 38 weeks. if off by a week - imagine the damage being done. unfortunately it is thought that 36 weeks is full term. it may be "considered" full term, but there's a reason why women are pregnant for 40 weeks naturally. babies need that extra time in utero. taking them 3 full weeks early CAN do damage to their development - mentally and physically.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
July 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have had 4 C's, the first was an emergency but the other 3 were scheduled at 39 weeks, My Dr and the others in the practice will NOT do one anytime before unless there is a danger to baby or mommy.

I see NOTHING wrong for a woman to have a C... But to have one for NO reason, just to have one is something I dont agree with. Its bad enough a lot of people think women who have C's are less of a woman and say we technically didnt give birth, now we have females doing it for fun.[/b]
I can't imagine what people are thinking. To me the measure of who is a real woman has more to do with the content of the character than whether or not she ever even has a child - that has NOTHING to do with it. You can't take narrow minded people like that serious - it's just plain sad. As far as giving birth goes....

birth Pronunciation Key - [burth] –noun
1. an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
2. the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring; childbirth; parturition: a difficult birth.
3. lineage; extraction; descent: of Grecian birth.
4. high or noble lineage: to be foolishly vain about one's birth.
5. natural heritage: a musician by birth.
6. any coming into existence; origin; beginning: the birth of Protestantism; the birth of an idea.
7. Archaic. something that is born.
–verb (used with object) Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.
8. to give birth to.
9. to assist in giving birth; act as midwife for.

If your child was born, then in fact by default you gave birth - just like I gave birth, etc. Our birthing stories may vary greatly - but unless someone disputes that your child is out of your uterus then they can't really say you didn't give birth - at least from my understanding of the definition. If anyone EVER says anything like that again to you I would say exactly that to them - that unless they can explain how your children got out without being born, there is no point in them saying anything else (and if they were BORN then who gave BIRTH if not you?)...people are so petty if you ask me. Sorry for the rant - but ignorance irks me.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Lala.[/b]
That's really odd because around here, they won't do them before 39 weeks. I am getting mine done at 38 weeks because it's my 5th c/s, and during my last c/s my vertical scar opened up. They're scheduling it on a Saturday because of this since they don't want to do it even one day earlier.
August 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
But to have one for NO reason, just to have one is something I dont agree with. Its bad enough a lot of people think women who have C's are less of a woman and say we technically didnt give birth, now we have females doing it for fun.[/b]
that is terrible. I think you are more of a woman. C-sections must be terrifying and the recovery even worse. A vaginal birth is over for the most part once you give birth a c-section you still have weeks of recovery.
August 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i dont think c-sections make person less of a woman. a c-section is my worst fear. I cant understand why someone would choose to have one for no reason though. As far as having babies before term for non medical reasons - I dont agree with that either. i do think c-section plays a role in it. but I think inductions play a larger role (though inductions can often lead to c-sections as well)
August 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
As far as having babies before term for non medical reasons - I dont agree with that either. i do think c-section plays a role in it. but I think inductions play a larger role (though inductions can often lead to c-sections as well)[/b]
I completely agree with this. I think that people constantly point fingers at c-sections for being the reason that so many babies are being born early, but I think inductions are to blame just as much - if not more. Many of the c-sections that studies/people are so quick to blame are caused from inductions.

I know that OBs vary in their policies and methods from region to region, but I have not heard of any OBs in my area that will schedule a c-section or an induction prior to 39 weeks unless the baby is in distress, the mother's life is in jeopardy, or some other emergency occurs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search