Loud motorcycles

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My local paper has steam articles where people call and leave vents about things going on in the city. Well there's always people arguing back and forth about motorcycles and how loud they are.

Most people defend them and say motorcycles need loud pipes so they dont get run over and people can hear them coming. Then others say they are rude and do not need to have such loud pipes.

Anyway Im interested in hearing other opinions.

July 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
It doesn't really matter to me, I like motorcycles although I don't have one or a license to drive one. It might suck if I had a neighbour who liked to rev up at all hours of the night... but that would be the neighbour's fault, not the bike.

And, I'd never heard that about them being loud for safety's sake but it makes sense.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Veteran
It makes sense that if their loud, you can "see" them coming better. And people honestly do not watch for motorcycles on the road.

Its different if your neighbor is sitting outside revving their engine to show off. But if their just riding, then their not trying to disturbe you. They are simply exisiting.

I think some people still have a stigma about motorcycles and those who ride them. We aren't just outlaws anymore.
July 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Try living near someone who has one of the really loud "chopper" types and believe me I don't think most of you would be too happy about it. Even if they don't "rev" it up they are incredibly loud.

One thing I've never understood is how they don't consider them a violation of a noise ordinance. Here they can ticket you for blasting your radio loudly but those bikes are many times louder than any radio I've ever heard.

There are several people in my neighborhood who have them and it isn't pleasant to be woken up at 2 am as one goes roaring by.

July 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Try living near someone who has one of the really loud "chopper" types and believe me I don't think most of you would be too happy about it. Even if they don't "rev" it up they are incredibly loud.

One thing I've never understood is how they don't consider them a violation of a noise ordinance. Here they can ticket you for blasting your radio loudly but those bikes are many times louder than any radio I've ever heard.

There are several people in my neighborhood who have them and it isn't pleasant to be woken up at 2 am as one goes roaring by.[/b]
Yep I agree because where I live these men/women with motorcycles ride up and down the streets in a pack with SUPER loud pipes. It is very irritating when they go by. I understand they should be loud, but sometimes the loudness is just TOO loud.

July 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find motorcycles irresponsible and wreckless, regardless of whether they have loud pipes.
Most local communities have noise ordinances for homeowners. I think that cars and motorcycles should have to adhere to these noise ordinances. So, I am opposed to loud motorcycles in communities. On large roads not surrounded by homes, they can do whatever they want.
Although....I think that they are kidding themselves to believe that loud pipes is going to make the motorcycle any safer.
July 21st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Veteran
I've been riding since I was 18 (as a "driver" before that I'd just be on the back), that was the age I was finally allowed to get my motorcycle license. I don't actually own a bike, because I can't afford one right now. But I have friends that have them, my aunt and uncle have a few, basically I borrow other people's and hope to get my own eventually (I have a cycle fund).

Some riders to purposley make their's loud. I'll admit that. Because, well hell, it sounds cooler! But look at the engine on a bike compared to one on a car, the car one isn't as exposed. If you took the hood off your car, your car would sound pretty loud too. Not that I'm reccomending, please, everyone keep the hood on your car, don't take it off.

And bikers deserve the right to ride wherever cars get to drive. For some people their bike is their main source of transportation. If they are restricted from riding in a community they live in, what are they suppossed to do to get to and from and work, the store, or wherever they need to go?
July 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If gas prices keep climbing more of us might have to turn to the two wheeled mode of transportation.

I would much wake up to the sound of loud bike than the sounds of gunfire, which is what we heard when we live in our last home.

July 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I would much wake up to the sound of loud bike than the sounds of gunfire, which is what we heard when we live in our last home.[/b]
SCARY! Especially if you have kids.
July 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
It's not that I think bikes should be outlawed or anything. I do believe they have every right to own them and use them. I do, however, think they should have to abide by noise ordinances just like everyone else. If a person can be fined for having their radio too loud then I think the motorcycle owner whose bike is 10 times louder should be fined as well.

July 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sometimes the really loud ones annoy me. My Dad rides a Harley and it doesn't bother me. I just don't like when people "rev" their engines.

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesn't bother me. And right next to our community, there is a Harley Davidson shop. So there are motorcycles constantly driving by. We live about 10 houses in and I can hear the motorcycles from this far away. Just something we are used to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search