How much do you trust your government?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Choose the best answer
Completely 0 0%
Mostly 4 10.53%
Somewhat 20 52.63%
Not at all 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This issue was brought up in another debate and I wondered just how much we trust our governments. I'm very interested to see the responses to this one.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

July 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I some what trust my government...

July 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Tofu Bacon
Somewhat. It really depends on what type of "trust" we are talking about; if you mean:do I trust the government to represent the people and make administrative decisions that are in the public's best interest? No, but I think I place more trust in local government than I do in the federal or even state government because I feel that local officials have more accountability for their actions; the constituent you screwed over yesterday might be standing next to you in the grocery check-out line tomorrow. Higher levels of government are often times to busy selling out to special-interest groups and lobbyists to remember who they truly work for. Color me cynical, I guess.
July 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Somewhat. Higher levels of government are often times to busy selling out to special-interest groups and lobbyists to remember who they truly work for.[/b]
July 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do... they give me my paycheck... just those people though... not everyone else

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
July 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Somewhat... I'm sure there are some legitimate, honest people in there somewhere. But as far as paychecks? Don't forget the federal taxes they take off that infringes on your constitutional rights. This was one of the reasons I started that Federal Reserve topic that no one responded to Also, there is absolutely no law written in any book anywhere that states you HAVE to file for income tax, ask any IRS agent to show it to you and they can't. Better yet ask the IRS agents who've quit and haven't filed tax returns in years!

heres one example:

Quote:
I handle my fight personally using a system called the Hart System of Effective Tax Avoidance. Gerry Hart passed avay recently in Winnipeg, but not before becoming Canada's undisputed champion No. 1 tax fighter. Mr. Hart for many years opted to take an aggressive and active position against oppressive government, and he has not paid income tax in nearly 50 years. During that time, he has been imposed upon, charged, harassed, his privacy invaded, and his person subjected to illegal search. But he has never given an inch. He has been to the Manitoba Court of Appeal 22 times, but has never lost.

In 1950 Gerry Hart received a copy of a Vancouver newspaper article which reported on a recent ruling made by the Supreme Court of Canada. He then requested a copy of the ruling itself, from the Supreme Court Chancery in Ottawa. He also requested a copy of the B.N.A. Act, because the ruling quoted various sections of that document. He found, just as the newspaper had reported, that Section 91 and 92 of the B.N.A. Act do not allow for the Federal Government to be in the Income Tax business.

The two documents - the Supreme Court ruling and the B.N.A. Act - have been the basis of his battle, and the only two cocuments he has needed. He has never had the benefit of legal counsel, and has chosen to appear in court by himself. His only evidence has been those two documents. Charges against him have been thrown out of court 22 times. The last time, some twelve or so years ago, Revenue Canada was told that if it ever brought Gerry Hart back into court, that Revenue Canada itself would be charged with contempt of court.

Gerry Hart has never been convicted under the Income Tax Act. As he says, "Income Tax is illegal. Therefore the collection of it is also illegal. Since Revenue Canada has no legal method of collecting income tax, they must resort to illegal means." Those illegal means include harassment, intimidation, illegal search, illegal seizure, violation of privacy, extortion, coercion, and complete ignorance and contempt for the human rights of Canadian citizens..[/b]
Full Article

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
somewhat. I dont think they are all bad. and I do think its set up in away to prevent them from becoming terrible - but I think we need to fight to keep things in balance.
July 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I said somewhat as well. I guess part of that is that I trust that they will be corrupt & not have my personal best interest at heart - LOL. Seriously though - I wish there was a "not veyr much" because that is more accurate for me - as I can't say "not at all" - but "somewhat" seems like more than I actually do.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
I believe it's every citizen's duty to distrust their government.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
July 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I believe it's every citizen's duty to distrust their government.[/b]
I don't know why, but that totally caught me off guard and cracked me up at the same time! You should get that phrase protected so you could make it into a bumper sticker and make money off of it!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

July 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
whatever
I said not at all. I almost registered as a democrat this last primary so I could vote for the dem of my choice, but I just couldn't do it, I don't trust those dudes either although I like their spin a little better. I totally agree with Torrie.
July 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Theo's Avatar Fall Down, Go Boom
Various. I'm British by birth, but have lived on and off in America in two states, so I have different views of both.

UK: I somewhat trust our government. I don't think they're quite as malignant as the American government, but they're catching on fast. It's going downhill. Most of our higher politicians are useless, but I do like and trust my local government. My respect for government declines every day, particularly over the refusal to grant the independence of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

US: I don't trust any form of American government; from the White House to the local school board. Corruption is rampant, politicians are absolutely useless, lying and stealing is practically institutionalised, the education system is broken, public service is practically non-existent, the tax system is a joke, and the law is too heavily influenced by religion.
July 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
US: I don't trust any form of American government; from the White House to the local school board. Corruption is rampant, politicians are absolutely useless, lying and stealing is practically institutionalised, the education system is broken, public service is practically non-existent, the tax system is a joke, and the law is too heavily influenced by religion.[/b]
I voted somewhat, but really it's more like what Beck said... "not very much" and the reasons are exactly what Theo outlined above. I can't put not at all because I do trust certain local parts of the government, but I do not trust the federal government one bit.
July 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Quote:
particularly over the refusal to grant the independence of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.[/b]
thank you for this bit of info gonna go read up on it now I'm not surprised they were denied.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Theo's Avatar Fall Down, Go Boom
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
particularly over the refusal to grant the independence of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.[/b]
thank you for this bit of info gonna go read up on it now I'm not surprised they were denied.
[/b][/quote]
It hasn't been officially denied, I don't believe. There's political groups within each country that are pushing for it, but so far, it has not been officially posed, though the consensus is assumed that the UK will not grant independence when it is officially asked for.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search