student/teacher relationship

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are there any spoken or unspoke rules about babysitting a college professors child? I don't want to go into TOO may details....but would you do it?
July 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
stardusthealer's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Are there any spoken or unspoke rules about babysitting a college professors child? I don't want to go into TOO may details....but would you do it?[/b]
I don't believe there is a spoken or unspoken rule about babysitting a college professors child they do need someone to watch there children too. I think as long as there are ground rules and no favortism then it is fine.
I probably would do it. I did have friends in highschool who did babysit for some of our teachers kids.

1. Mom to Arielle13,Tyler 10.5, Dylan 8.5 and Autumn Rayne 21mths and Step dd Nevaeh 3

July 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. College professors need babysitters for their kids like students need babysitting jobs.

July 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
as long as you're getting paid the same way any other babysitter would (i.e. money, not grades), it's fine.

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
July 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
i see no problem with it
July 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
I did this when I was in college. I answered an ad for a baby-sitter that was advertised through our university's career services center (there was a book of people looking for a baby-sitter because I think many families around the college preferred using college students over high school) When I called and got an interview, I had no clue that the mother and father were professors at my college. I actually didn't find out until the end of the interview when they were explaining that I'd need to pick up the kids from their school every Tuesday and Thursday because they both had to teach classes at that time. The reason I hadn't recognized their last name or even their faces is because my major had nothing to do with the subjects they taught. Once I baby-sat for them for a semester, the mother passed my name on to other professors. Through word of mouth, I ended up baby-sitting for many professors at my college. Only once did I baby-sit for a professor I actually had as a teacher at the time. Honestly, it didn't make a difference to me or the professor. She didn't grade me easier or harder or change her expectations for me.

I think as long as the student and the professor in question are able to establish the clear line between student/professor both in the classroom and in the baby-sitting atmosphere, there's no problem with it.
July 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would be ok as long as you did not have the professor as a teacher that could get ugly in this day and age. Where people like to make up what ever their hearts desire about any given situation

July 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did it in college- I also worked at the University Daycare so parents (who were often students and professors) would ask me to to baby sit often. They figured I knew their child well, their children were comfortable around me, and the daycare was fine with it.

I had children at the daycare whos' parents were also my professors in class multiple times. I babysat one of those children outside of the daycare and class, but AFTER I was out of his class

July 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
TeresaMarie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Are there any spoken or unspoke rules about babysitting a college professors child? I don't want to go into TOO may details....but would you do it?[/b]

A professor in a class I am taking or will take? Definitely not.

They may need someone to watch their kids but they can find someone other than a student to do it.

It seems a little like the professor taking advantage of the student (whether they get paid or not isn't the issue for me).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search