Smoke alarm beeps

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: ~*~
Ignore it, you know it's for safety 12 54.55%
Take the batteries out/unhook it from the wall 9 40.91%
I don't have any working smoke alarms in my home 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was on the phone with my sister earlier. When we are talking, she is ALWAYS complaining about a beep coming from my smoke detector. She tells me I need to take it down because it "annoys" her and she doesn't know how we live with it.

It's hard wired into the wall. Also, my DH is an EMT/former firefighter. We know the importance of fire safety, including keeping working smoke alarms. And it doesn't really bother us, we barely notice it after 4 years of living here.

THEN she tells me that since her smoke alarm goes off EVERY time she cooks, she doesn't even have a working smoke alarm in her house. I was appalled! She's got 2 little boys, both under the age of 5!

So I was wondering what would you do in this situation or what you have done?

July 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I'm guilty of taking it off the wall!! I know its bad but it would beep every time anyone got out of the shower!! I couldn't tolerate it. I guess my reasoning behind it was that there were others in the house that worked and I was too lazy to find a new spot for it. I know... awful right?

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
They do make ones that are less sensitive. I'm not sure exactly where you buy them but I can ask my best friend, who is a firefighter. Ours is right in the middle of our home (we live in a mobile home) and it's right where the hallway and living room join together. We also have a battery one by the bathroom but you never hear that one at all. It's on the ceiling because if it goes off, there is a light that shines to guide you out.

When we moved in here and saw the wires sticking out of the wall, I was surprised when Scott told me it was for a smoke alarm. This one isn't real sensitive but periodically it will emit a real short beep. That's what annoys my sister when we are talking. I'm pretty sure it's just a test beep of some sort.

July 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm all about safety first. We have 5 smoke alarms in our house (it's not a huge house, just your average 3 bed/2 bath), and they are all linked together so that if one goes off, they all go off, and they are piercingly loud. You can hear it from several houses away when it goes off, lol. Yes, it's a PITA when I burn something in the kitchen and all the darned things start shrieking, but you know what, it's better to deal with the occasional inconvenience than put our lives at risk.

As far as the occasional beep, I know ours "chirp" every once in a while when they need a new battery. Have you tried replacing the battery to see if the beeping stops?

July 25th, 2008, 06:42 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I don't have the hard wired kind. I have the regular battery operated ones so if it beeps/chirps it means it needs a new battery. When I hear it start doing that I change the battery right away. I don't take chances when it comes to smoke detectors.

July 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your smoke detector should not randomly beep. If it is chirping, it needs a new battery - even if it is hard wired. If it doesn't have a battery and is chirping then it isn't getting sufficient power and need to be re-wired or replaced. Smoke detectors do have a life of about 10 years so if it is older then it is time to replace it.
July 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM
stardusthealer's Avatar Super Mommy
I just ignore it when it makes noise.
I actually set it off alot it does the normal alarm and the one outside the bathroom alarms and talks and says fire in both english and french.
We have them on all floors we get it checked every year the base requires the fire department go around every year and inspect everyone on bases smoke detectors.

1. Mom to Arielle13,Tyler 10.5, Dylan 8.5 and Autumn Rayne 21mths and Step dd Nevaeh 3

July 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
chlodoll
Our detectors don't have batteries and they are all wired together so if one goes off they ALL go off!! SO LOUD!! They go off sometimes when I cook, especially if I fry something like hamburgers, and they will also go off if you shower with the bathroom door open. Its annoying but not enough that I would risk removing them!

I did though take down my carbon monoxide detector because it would go off for no reason and I could not figure out what the heck is wrong with it!! I do have another one though that plugs into the wall and it has never gone off so I think the one connected to the wall is wonky.
July 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would rather worry about a little beep once in a while than not be allerted when there was a fire

July 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Your smoke detector should not randomly beep. If it is chirping, it needs a new battery - even if it is hard wired. If it doesn't have a battery and is chirping then it isn't getting sufficient power and need to be re-wired or replaced. Smoke detectors do have a life of about 10 years so if it is older then it is time to replace it.[/b]

In the instructions to our smoke alarm it said it would chirp. Letting us know there is power to it. I guess if there isn't enough power to it, it will let out some sort of low wail. Haven't heard that, even when we've lost power a couple times due to storms. There are no batteries for this one and we are religious about changing the batteries of the one that does have batteries. We change it every March 3 (DH's birthday) and every Oct 12 (DD's birthday). I know they say once a year but that's just a general rule. We opt to replace it more often, even if the batteries DO work.

Quote:
I would rather worry about a little beep once in a while than not be allerted when there was a fire[/b]
That's exactly what I told my sister and she said it would annoy her to where she takes it down. Well it doesn't bother me, Scott or the kiddos. We have lived in the same house for 4 years and we installed it before we even moved in. It's been doing the chirp since day 1.

July 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I definitely need to invest in some new ones!! Now I'm all worried that I'm going to wake up to a fire

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I also have a battery smoke detector it only beeps at me when i burn food or it needs the battery changed LOL

but honestly id just deal with it, id rather live with an annoying beep than not live at all
July 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would annoy me & I would probably just change to a different kind that didn't beep so often...but to each their own. Mine have never gone off from cooking or anything that it shouldn't go off from. We did have 2 carbon monoxide testers that were always going off though. I called our gas company & they checked it all out TWICE...with the first one & then I called again saying we got a new one & it was going off as well & they came AGAIN - and both times told me there was no sign of carbon monoxide despite the stupid alarms. They were 2 different brands too & put in two different places. Both were fine when I hooked them up but days later started going off....so I never replaced it after the second bad reading & that has been years. Maybe I should think about it again now.....

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 27th, 2008, 06:56 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont have a smoke detector because I just moved into an apartment and the landlord keeps telling us hes going to get a smoke alarm but hasnt yet :/

July 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I dont have a smoke detector because I just moved into an apartment and the landlord keeps telling us hes going to get a smoke alarm but hasnt yet :/[/b]
That is super illegal. He needs to supply you with a smoke detector immediately.
July 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Quote:
I dont have a smoke detector because I just moved into an apartment and the landlord keeps telling us hes going to get a smoke alarm but hasnt yet :/[/b]
That is super illegal. He needs to supply you with a smoke detector immediately.
[/b]
That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't even know how he was able to let you move into the apartment without there being a working smoke detector.

July 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine are sensitive also, but I wont take them down for anything. I would rather them be sensitive than have a fire and it be to late when they go off. You have to remember, alot of people pass out from smoke while they are sleeping, so I would much rather it go off before that happens!

July 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Come to think of it I know there's enough power to it with the hard wiring because it goes off every single time I fry bacon. And I don't even burn it!

It used to annoy us. But we learned to live with it over the years. Plus my house is almost never quiet with the kiddos running around. Being married to an EMT/former firefighter, I am all about safety even if it might be a little inconvenient.

Quote:
That is super illegal and the landlord can get into a lot of trouble for that! I'd just go buy one and give him the receipt to either reimburse you or to take it off of the next month's rent. If he is any type of legit landlord he will agree to it.

July 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
irishxrose
I chose take the batteries out/unhook it from the wall, BUT I only do that to the one in the kitchen when I am cooking something because otherwise it will go off every time I cook something on the stove. I always reconnect it after I'm done cooking. Otherwise, ours usually don't beep until the batteries are dying.
July 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Veteran
If our smoke alarm is doing the little chirp thing, it means it needs to batteries. So I take it off the wall, yank out the batteries, and then try to find new ones or actually go to the store and buy some.

Ok, it also beeps when I cook...mostly cause I'm not the world's greatest cook. I yank em down then too and open up all the windows to get the smoke and stuff out. Then I re-hook up all the alarms, because while I'm trying to save our dinner I don't need to smoke alarm yelling at me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search