Bad Baby Naming

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/0...a-nz-name.html

A judge has made a 9 year old child, called Talula does the hula a ward of the state so that her name may be legally changed...

What do you think, should anyone have the right to tell parents they CANNOT name their child THAT?
July 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Regardless of the fact that, that is a ridiculously stupid name it is no business of the government and they should NOT be allowed to remove custody of her from her parents.

I am tired of these crazy judges thinking they rule the world.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Quote:
Regardless of the fact that, that is a ridiculously stupid name it is no business of the government and they should NOT be allowed to remove custody of her from her parents.

I am tired of these crazy judges thinking they rule the world.[/b]

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Im not sure how i feel about it, while i feel a little sad for kids with really unfortunate names, i guess its not really my business

i suppose once a child is 18 they can change their name if they so choose

Makenna's mommy your "war on terror" blinkie caught my eye, im very interested in hearing more behind that, if youd like to chat about it......
July 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Must be an NZ thing, along with the bizarre names. A few months ago I heard a story about an NZ court stepping in and forbidding a couple from naming their son 4Real.

On one hand, I want to smack those parents and tell them "it's a child, not a race horse," but on the other... it's not a court matter, and it's not something to make her a ward of the state over. Who gets to pick the NEW name? What if she's actually perfectly happy with that?

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Im not sure who actually gets to pick the name, honestly i think just drop does the hula and let the girl pick a middle name there really isnt anything wrong with Talula
July 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Her name is actually Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii. She joins such illustrious fellow countryman like Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy, Yeah Detroit, Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay.
Really, I know someone who named their child his name in binary. That's what's on his birth certificate, but everyone just calls him by his name. It's only spelled in binary. Whatever. NZ has different naming laws from us, I tend to feel it's nobody's business.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
July 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I don't agree with the name choice but I don't understand why, if the state didn't approve that they allowed it for 9 years? And why does she have to become a ward of the state to change it? Just give her the option to change it if she wants. I have to wonder if there is more to the custody battle than the girl's name.
July 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Christy72
Nice to know the courts can take over our children and change their names. Nice.

For the record I think that name is dumb.
July 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offence to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of births, deaths and marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them of the potential embarrassment for the child.[/b]
It's part of the law over there that you can't give your child some asinine name. The judge wasn't doing anything unprecedented. My guess is that because the girl hates her name and wants it changed, and she is a minor and her parents won't allow it, the judge made her a ward of the court to give her the ability to do so. It also came about because of a custody battle, so there may be more to the story but the name change is taking the spotlight.

July 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
its just a name. I tend to think they have better (well worse) things to worry about. the kid can always change her name when she gets older if she doesnt like it. And who is to say she wont like it...
July 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She said she was embaressed by the name so she had her friends just call her K who in their right mind would name a child that. I do believe there is more to the story that was written. I am assuming she will get to pick the new name. What about the childs emotional well being for having that name for 18 years? What about her rights to not be humilitated everytime she had to tell someone her name?

July 26th, 2008, 08:28 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
She said she was embaressed by the name so she had her friends just call her K who in their right mind would name a child that. I do believe there is more to the story that was written. I am assuming she will get to pick the new name. What about the childs emotional well being for having that name for 18 years? What about her rights to not be humilitated everytime she had to tell someone her name?[/b]
That's pretty much what I was thinking. While I wouldn't really want a court to step in and I don't really think they have a right to I also think that giving your child a name like that is a form of abuse! It isn't fair for a child to be stuck with some ridiculous name until they are 18. At what point should someone step in? Should someone ever step in? What if the parent named the child something completely horrible and degrading?

July 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Quote:

I am tired of these crazy judges thinking they rule the world.[/b]

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
July 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont think anyone has the right to tell a parent what to name their children. My child has a weird middle name ( that we call him by in our home) and I wish someone would tell me how to name him. His father is Jamaican and me and his father chose his named based on that. No one knows how they name their children in other countries. Sooner or later we will have NO say so over ourselves or our children. Cant they take away a child that is being beat by their parents instead of one that has a funny name? Dont you think that a child being abused needs the help more than one that has a funny middle name (that most likey isnt funny where they come from)? I just dont understand.

July 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think there is more to this story as there is also a custody battle. If I am reading it right the child ask for the name change. I would think the custody battle might have more to do with becoming a ward of the state than just the name change but thats just my opinion

July 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
I know that everyone is constantly arguing for the government to stay out of our business, and I do agree with that on *most* accounts... however, it's not like a government official overheard a parent talking to their child in a grocery store ("Hey Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii, go get the milk") and took it upon himself to push the parents out of the child's life and change her name without hearing how she felt about it. They were already within the court system because of a custody battle and the nine year old child commented that she is embarassed by her name and refuses to even tell her friends what her real name is... I think if a nine year old is that upset about her name, and it is a drastically abnormal name, then I have no problem with the court system helping her change it.

As other ladies on here posted, I'm sure there is more to the story with her becoming a ward of the state based on the custody battle, but the story sells the best if they focus purely on the name change, since that is what they know will catch the public's attention.
July 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Veteran
I don't think the court "stepped in", they were already in court and the little girl was obviously upset by her name. She wouldn't tell her friends what it was. I mean, I have an odd name, but its never caused me any real embarressment or emotional distress.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Just Nana. I've had a friend become a ward of the state during a nasty custody battle between his parents.

Now...when are we going to start talking to stars who name their kids things like Piolt Inspektor?
July 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Her name is actually Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii. She joins such illustrious fellow countryman like Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy, Yeah Detroit, Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay.
Really, I know someone who named their child his name in binary. That's what's on his birth certificate, but everyone just calls him by his name. It's only spelled in binary. Whatever. NZ has different naming laws from us, I tend to feel it's nobody's business.[/b]
And suddenly I see why NZ has laws against certain kinds of names... Number 16 Bus Shelter? I mean, I've heard of people naming their children after where they were conceived but come on.

Quote:
I don't think the court "stepped in", they were already in court and the little girl was obviously upset by her name. She wouldn't tell her friends what it was. I mean, I have an odd name, but its never caused me any real embarressment or emotional distress.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Just Nana. I've had a friend become a ward of the state during a nasty custody battle between his parents.

Now...when are we going to start talking to stars who name their kids things like Piolt Inspektor?[/b]
My favourite celebrity baby name is Moxie Crimefighter.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While I think that it would be RARE the court would ever allow a child to change their name at 9 yrs old, I think there are cases where it is not only warranted it is the kind & appropriate thing to do. From what I read in this article & other articles she HAD to become a ward of the state to allow her to change her name since her parents wouldn't consent. She may be 9 - but she is human & deserves some dignity. Maybe dignity is subjective, but I would challenge anyone here to say THEY would want to be known as Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. I also don't have an issue with making numbers or symbols illegal as valid names (or binary for that matter). It IS a NAME which means it is what you are meant to be called & there are LOTS & LOTS of options out there. It isn't as if rules forbidding vulgarity means you will have nothing to choose from (or ones that forbid symbols...like Prince or numbers or binary) will leave you with nothing to choose from. Now beyond that I think you can't make too many rules about it & as previously stated a child can change there name at 18. However, I also feel that if a child is unhappy with their name at an earlier age & the court deems it is fully reasonable that the child would be unhappy (such as Number 16 Bus Shelter) they should be allowed to do so without having to become a ward of the state to do so - I also think their request should be taken seriously & any fees for such a change should be incurred by the asinine parents that bestowed a ridiculous name on their offspring. I don't think courts should decide what a child's name should be or if it needs to be changed, but they certainly have a right & in some cases an obligation to allow a child's complaint on this issue to be heard. Maybe some of you were cooler & much stronger personally than I was as a kid, but I seriously don't know how I would have made it growing up with names like they listed in these articles. Eighteen seems a bit late to undo the damage. By 18 - you could really go by any name you chose...as a kid your FULL REAL NAME gets read off at least once a year at the beginning of school for attendance - I doubt it does you much good after that to tell people your name is "K".

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search