I Kissed a Girl

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
the new song by Katie Perry. I love this song, so cute and catchy... but a part of me wouldn't want my DD listening to it if she were old enough to understand. I have nothing against being gay/lesbian, I think it has more to do with promoting the party lifestyle. I could hear it now.. "mommy why does she want to kiss a girl? .. well honey thats just what some girls do when they get tipsy.... mommy whats tipsy?"

What do you guys think of the song and would you let your younger DD's sing along?

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't even know what song you are talking about....

I probably wouldn't though as I am not a fan of current music & tend to listen to some older music. DS seldom hears anything current....and /i try to be conscious of the message in the music he does hear as best I can.

I will however go investigate & find the lyrics so I can better say one way or another.

Okay I went & found it...

This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion

It's not what
I'm used to
Just wanna try u on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

(CHORUS)
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I liked it

(V2)
No I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter
You're my expiramental game
Just human nature

It's not what
Good girls do
Not how they should behave
My head gets
So confused
Hard to obey

(CHORUS)
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
I liked it

(BRIDGE)
Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable
Too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent

(CHORUS)
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
I liked it

I'd have to say that would definitely be a BIG FAT NO from me on letting my young DD or DS listen to this.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
irishxrose
I don't have a daughter, but I love that song. If I had a daughter, I would let her listen to it. It's really not a big deal to me, and I'm not a fan of censoring music.
July 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its not something I would listen to so I would not want my daughter to would I stop her prob not my parents never stopped me from some of the crap I listened to they would have their imput but the decision was mine

July 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Theo's Avatar Fall Down, Go Boom
Ha, well, all of my kids have routinely seen their godparents kissing (males, but same principle), so I doubt they'd think that two girls doing the same would be particularly odd.
Though I've never heard this song and it's probably not the type of stuff I have around, I don't believe in censoring music (unless it's that rap stuff about killing women and raping dogs or something, then I won't have it anywhere near), so it'd be fine with me.
If DD was singing along, I'd probably laugh it off but tell her that it's not appropriate to sing around other people, lest the stuffy social conservatives get so offended and appalled that they have a coronary.
July 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't find anything wrong with the song. And my 12 y/o DD laughs every time she hears it, starting with Katy Perry's performance on network TV singing it (So You Think You Can Dance on FOX). I also don't believe in music censorship unless it's got a violent message. It's just a song plain and simple. And if I censor every single thing that they listen to, watch, etc. they are going to live a too sheltered life and be shocked when they actually do go out in the world.

In fact DD and I went to the store yesterday and I have it on my mp3 player. We were listening to it (through the cigarette lighter adapter) and we were both singing along.

My mom never tried to censor the music we listened to, though I am a HUGE Jimmy Buffett fan like they are. And so are my kiddos. His songs are about nothing but the partying lifestyle.

July 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Quote:
and I'm not a fan of censoring music.[/b]
me neither, at all! thats why this feeling to shelter her is so weird to me. And as if that song would really do her any harm! It must just be a mommy instinct or something, lol. I have to remember to have faith in myself that I can raise my child to be a responsible adult!!

stand.

July 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I dont have a child, but if i did i would let my child listen to that song, because i dont have a problem with anything that is said in that song
July 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't find anything wrong with the song. And my 12 y/o DD laughs every time she hears it, starting with Katy Perry's performance on network TV singing it (So You Think You Can Dance on FOX). I also don't believe in music censorship unless it's got a violent message. It's just a song plain and simple. And if I censor every single thing that they listen to, watch, etc. they are going to live a too sheltered life and be shocked when they actually do go out in the world.

In fact DD and I went to the store yesterday and I have it on my mp3 player. We were listening to it (through the cigarette lighter adapter) and we were both singing along.

My mom never tried to censor the music we listened to, though I am a HUGE Jimmy Buffett fan like they are. And so are my kiddos. His songs are about nothing but the partying lifestyle.[/b]
I have to disagree with you on this one Holly. I realize you can't censor everything, but I grew up in a VERY censored house & guess what? It NEVER once hurt me one bit. In fact - the total contrary. I was generally way more respectful to my parents than my peers, way more respectful to authority, and graduated being quit popular (I was on Homecoming Court, voted friendliest, most talkative, and about 4 other things), not a bit stuffy or arrogant (how could I be? - most of my clothes were from Goodwill or Salvation Army) and yet even with my parents totally censoring music & movies, etc .... the "real world" never shocked me in any way related to that. In fact I don't think this music, or trashy videos, or R rated movies ARE the real world. Not the world I want to be part of nor what I want for my kiddos. My parents didn't get a lot of things right - but this one I have to say they did. I also happened to be the ONLY virgin I knew when I graduated & that was also part of it - my parents NEVER allowing anything that glorified or demeaned sex to be something we listened to or viewed.

I agree that censorship of music overall is wrong. don't want to stop other people from listening to things. But just like i would never let my 7 yr old watch an R rated movie with sex & violence in it, I wouldn't let my 7 yr old listen to lyrics that I feel are explicit or inappropriate. If my DS or DD grows up to be homosexual I am FINE with that. I am not personally fine with glorifying exploration of sexuality to children too young to understand it. Whatever my kids do when they are old enough to digest it & understand it - fine. I have friends/family that are gay. I don't plan to keep that from my children either - it doesn't bother me. I do not want my 7 yr old thinking about such adult topics at such a young age as a girl that wants to kiss a girl & has a boyfriend. I think for that age it is inappropriate. If we are talking about 17 yrs old - that is TOTALLY different IMO.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
TeresaMarie's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't object to kissing girls, but I object to the situation.

Kailey si not allowed to sing that song as I don't find it appropriate for 7 yr old girls to sing.

Katy Perry came from a really strict family and the song was a sort of anthem for he to her parents about finally breaking free from the confines of her childhood oppression.
July 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM
*Lacey*
Im not all for censoring to the general public, but my own kids? Heck yes! I dont want my YOUNGER children (which is what was stated in the O/P) singing songs about partying... its inappropriate. I wouldnt let them sing songs with cursing either, as its also inappropriate. I dont think NOT allowing your young child to listen to or sing along with a song about getting drunk and cheating on a boyfriend with a girl just for FUN.. is PROMOTING CENSORSHIP? Those that are totally against censorship, do you believe in ANY boundaries?
July 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
TeresaMarie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm completely against censorship in the arts.

BUT, as a parent it is my responsibility to pick and choose what is healthy and age appropriate for my child. I don't raise anyone else's kids so I don't know what they can handle emotionally so I can't judge what decisions other parents make because they know their child best.
July 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Quote:
as a parent it is my responsibility to pick and choose what is healthy and age appropriate for my child. I don't raise anyone else's kids so I don't know what they can handle emotionally so I can't judge what decisions other parents make because they know their child best.[/b]
ITA, good point

stand.

July 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would not allow my daughter to listen to it. She will not be allowed to listen to music that promotes or makes light of immoral or demeaning things. Whether or not I like the song is irrelevant, and it really has nothing to do with not liking gays (which I have no problem with.) She doesn't say "come on, kissing a girl is awesome and you should do it!" but releasing a song like this is condoning getting drunk and being promiscuous.

I don't agree with censorship overall, but I certainly do have a right to censor what my own kids listen to, and I will.

Lisa

July 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Quote:

My mom never tried to censor the music we listened to, though I am a HUGE Jimmy Buffett fan like they are. And so are my kiddos. His songs are about nothing but the partying lifestyle.[/b]
I have to disagree with you on this one Holly. I realize you can't censor everything, but I grew up in a VERY censored house & guess what? It NEVER once hurt me one bit. In fact - the total contrary. I was generally way more respectful to my parents than my peers, way more respectful to authority, and graduated being quit popular (I was on Homecoming Court, voted friendliest, most talkative, and about 4 other things), not a bit stuffy or arrogant (how could I be? - most of my clothes were from Goodwill or Salvation Army) and yet even with my parents totally censoring music & movies, etc .... the "real world" never shocked me in any way related to that. In fact I don't think this music, or trashy videos, or R rated movies ARE the real world. Not the world I want to be part of nor what I want for my kiddos. My parents didn't get a lot of things right - but this one I have to say they did. I also happened to be the ONLY virgin I knew when I graduated & that was also part of it - my parents NEVER allowing anything that glorified or demeaned sex to be something we listened to or viewed.

I agree that censorship of music overall is wrong. don't want to stop other people from listening to things. But just like i would never let my 7 yr old watch an R rated movie with sex & violence in it, I wouldn't let my 7 yr old listen to lyrics that I feel are explicit or inappropriate. If my DS or DD grows up to be homosexual I am FINE with that. I am not personally fine with glorifying exploration of sexuality to children too young to understand it. Whatever my kids do when they are old enough to digest it & understand it - fine. I have friends/family that are gay. I don't plan to keep that from my children either - it doesn't bother me. I do not want my 7 yr old thinking about such adult topics at such a young age as a girl that wants to kiss a girl & has a boyfriend. I think for that age it is inappropriate. If we are talking about 17 yrs old - that is TOTALLY different IMO.
[/b]

Scott came from a censored home and we know it did a lot more damage to him than good. I mean, he's fine but when he got out of HS he had a real hard time with it.

My boys don't listen to the song. And I guess I am getting now the OP was about young children. My older son would say "ewwww" to it, as he thinks anything to do with homosexuality is wrong, though we are NOT teaching him that. Unfortunately his bio dad is telling him that and we are trying to tell JJ there is absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

I do not let my children watch movies with excessive sex and violence. I do draw some lines. I just said I really don't censor the music too much. If I don't let them listen to music that mentions kissing, homosexuality, cheating, drinking, etc....there's almost nothing for them to listen to.

I mean Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, etc. sings songs about kissing, love and stuff.

July 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have nothing against the lyrical themes of the song, and if I had a DD, or if DS were old enough, I wouldn't have a problem with them listening to this song beyond the fact that I think it SUCKS and would hope that from being around what DF and I listen to, our children will know better.

I have no issues with the song itself, but I have major issues with Katy Perry. I find her disgusting and pretty close to being offensive, as well as an attention seeker. Did you know she used to be a Christian singer? But singing about kissing another girl is an easier way to get attention, even though it's hardly edgy anymore. I mean, this is 2008. Who HASN'T kissed a girl?

She has another song called "Ur So Gay," which, atrocious spelling aside, does nothing more than reinforce gay stereotypes in a mildly "humorous" slam at her metrosexual hipster boyfriend. Throughout the lyrics she talks about the boy acting and dressing 'gay,' making fun of him the whole time as if there is something wrong with perceived homosexuality.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I actually didn't know all that about her. Learn something new everyday.

I am the kind of person if I hear a song I don't go looking for their other songs. Unless I am totally familiar with the artist i.e. Jimmy Buffett. I know it's strange.

I think I'd have more of a problem with the gay song, as I am trying to teach my kids to love all people regardless of color, sexual preference, etc. I don't want them hearing a song that bashes people.

July 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I have a 9 yr old DS, and he listens to it, sings it, and as he does with every other song - he changes the words. Sometimes he sings "I kissed a girl", sometimes "guy" sometimes he says "and i liked it" and other times he sings "and i hated it" lol.

He really cant understand the words to MOST songs these days -his version of what he THINKS they say is usually pretty humorous, so I'm not so worried about what he thinks of it or its influence just yet. And since we dont think theres anything wrong with girls kissing girls (even if its not *my* thing), we dont censor this in particular.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Well I have a 9 yr old DS, and he listens to it, sings it, and as he does with every other song - he changes the words. Sometimes he sings "I kissed a girl", sometimes "guy" sometimes he says "and i liked it" and other times he sings "and i hated it" lol.

He really cant understand the words to MOST songs these days -his version of what he THINKS they say is usually pretty humorous, so I'm not so worried about what he thinks of it or its influence just yet. And since we dont think theres anything wrong with girls kissing girls (even if its not *my* thing), we dont censor this in particular.

Lala...[/b]
That's funny because my DH often gets this song in his head since it's so catchy and he changes the words to kissing our sons' names or our dogs' names

I wouldn't censor this song, especially when there are far worse other songs and messages out there for kids to hear.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search