What is Scientology?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I got this email today about buying a Scientology book. I can't give you the exact link to the message since its in my email but I can give you the link of the people who sent it to me. But anyways, do you think this is a good way to try and get people to join? And get a load of these questions that YOU will find ANSWERED if you buy it today!

Quote:
Here are some questions you will find answered:

Body? Mind? Spirit? Which one are you? [page 65]

What are the three elements needed to succeed in any area of life? [page 59]

How does the loss of control take place with anyone or anything? [page 78]

What are the three component parts of understanding in living associations? [page 45]

Find out the real anatomy of "problems" and how they can be easily remedied with any individual. [page 156]

What are the eight basic urges to survive and how are these used to increase your survival potential? [page 37]
All of the above and more are answered in the book Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought.

There's only one way to find out if this book is everything millions of people say it is.

Don't just take my word for it. Try it.

Available in a paperback format for $15.00 with free shipping, directly from the Publisher (also in audio format and hardcover).

I am so confident that this book will achieve the desired results, that I'm actually offering a 30-day money-back guarantee if for some reason you are not completely satisfied.[/b]
http://www.bridgepub.com/list/index.html

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

July 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do I think Scientology is?

I probably shouldn't answer because it will offend somebody, but the gist of it is:

July 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Quote:
What do I think Scientology is?

I probably shouldn't answer because it will offend somebody, but the gist of it is:

[/b]

lol I heard it has something to do with aliens and that you have to buy your way in.. haven't really looked too much into it. But I found this part of wikepidia's info interesting:

Quote:
Beliefs

Scientology's beliefs and related techniques comprise 18 basic books,[42] and 3,000 recorded lectures.[43] There is no single Scientology book that is the equivalent of the Bible or the Qur'an, but the study of Scientology is achieved through the chronological study of its basic books and lectures.[44]
Scientology describes itself as "the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life,"[45] and "encompasses all aspects of life from the point of view of the spirit" — including "auditing"[46] and training in morals, ethics, detoxification, education and management.[47]
Prime among Scientology's beliefs is "that man is a spiritual being whose existence spans more than one life and who is endowed with abilities well beyond those which he normally considers he possesses."[48] Scientology believes man to be basically good, that his experiences have led him into evil, that he errs because he seeks to solve his problems by considering only his own point of view, and that man can improve to the degree he preserves his spiritual integrity and remains honest and decent.[49] According to the Church, the ultimate goal is: "a civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights."[50]
The Church of Scientology declares that the goal of Scientology is to achieve "certainty of one’s spiritual existence and [of] one’s relationship to the Supreme Being,"[51] and says that Scientology's tenets are not a matter of faith but of testable practice: "That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true."[52]
The exact nature of all of existence is said to be stated in Hubbard's Scientology and Dianetics Axioms.
Other beliefs of Scientology are:[53]
A person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body.
The thetan has lived through many past lives and will continue to live beyond the death of the body.
Through the Scientology process of "auditing," people can free themselves of traumatic incidents, ethical transgressions and bad decisions which are said to collectively restrict the person from reaching the state of "Clear" and "Operating Thetan." Each state is said to represent the recovery of native spiritual abilities and to confer mental and physical benefits.
A person is basically good, but becomes "aberrated" by moments of pain and unconsciousness.
Psychiatry and psychology are destructive and abusive practices.[54]
Members study Scientology and receive auditing sessions to advance from a status of preclear to Operating Thetan.[55][56][/b]
eta: link

stand.

July 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
It sounds great, but to attain higher and higher levels within the church you have to shell out increasing amounts of money. How spiritually advanced you are seems to be related to the size of your pocketbook. While I know not everything on the internet is true, there are some terrifying accounts of former Scientology members being kidnapped and brainwashed, and some allegations of murder when a member tries to leave.

On a related note, South Park did a hilarious episode on it that did cover some of what they do believe. You can go to their website and view it (episode 912).

July 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Quote:
On a related note, South Park did a hilarious episode on it that did cover some of what they do believe. You can go to their website and view it (episode 912).[/b]
I saw that episode, HILARIOUS!!

I wonder where all that money goes to?

stand.

August 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know, somehow I just can't wrap myself around the idea that a science fiction auithor holds THE spiritual truth. Especially when his version of the truth sounds like a great sci-fi movie. Something about an alien evil emperor (Xenu, I think) who came to earth and killed all the people he brought here and so the remaining energy from these people creates us spiritual harm. I'm sorry, if anyone wishes to believe that, well, I'll respect that, but honestly... sounds like a lot of hoopla, even if I'm as much of a Trekkie as the next guy . But I guess that for some people what I believe sounds like a lot of hoopla, so who am I to judge, right?
Whatever makes you happy! Now, I know Scientology is considered a "cult" and I believe even a dangerous one. I don't have details on that since it's not something I'm very interested in, but I wonder what's been going on there to make it so.

Sharon
August 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM
^^Well, this is something my husband told me, so let me say upfront I don't know where he read it nor do I have sources, but apparently L. Ron Hubbard was bet by a friend that he couldn't create a religion. Guess who won the bet?

August 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
whatever
When I was a little girl my dad had a Dianetics book. I asked him after I was an adult (and knew what that book was about) if he ever thought about being a Scientologist, he had no idea what I was talking about...apparently he did not get too far into the book. lol I have been an atheist for a long time, but I can still understand why people believe in god, angels, etc. But for some odd reason I can not wrap my mind around why anyone would choose to believe in something that makes you pay so much for your salvation. I just don't get it.
September 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I've finally figured it out!!!!!!! Scientologists believe in the Legend of Atlantis!! (please correct me if I'm wrong) But of all the research I've been doing lately it makes perfectly good sense... not the legend itself, but that it is what they believe. Also, scientologists don't care about the value of a dollar... that is why to them, giving up their money is easy to help spread the word because they don't care about money, it is meaningless to them. Things are getting clearer to me =) Just thought I would share!
Oh! If you haven't read about Atlantis in awhile I can point you to a documentary I just recently watched. Its summarized at wikipedia >here< .

stand.

September 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am instantly suspicious of any faith that 1) is created by a science fiction author, 2) requires you to pay money to learn about them and then increase your prominence within the faith, and 3) boasts Tom Cruise as an ardent follower

September 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Quote:
I am instantly suspicious of any faith that 1) is created by a science fiction author, 2) requires you to pay money to learn about them and then increase your prominence within the faith, and 3) boasts Tom Cruise as an ardent follower [/b]
Good point!

September 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Quote:
I am instantly suspicious of any faith that 1) is created by a science fiction author, 2) requires you to pay money to learn about them and then increase your prominence within the faith, and 3) boasts Tom Cruise as an ardent follower [/b]

actually the rumour that people MUST pay to learn about them is false, although people have chosen to buy the books, you can't really blame them for their curiousity and their ignorance of other means of educating themselves. Heck, look at all the money being spent on education! Is spiritual learning not as important? But the truth is you can learn all about what Scientology has to offer if you do a little digging. I haven't bought a single book and I believe I have a complete understanding of what scientology is. Also, there is no "moving on up" in Scientology... you either believe or you don't believe. Those who give their money to the cause are only passionate about it and are no different than people who donate to their own Church. And furthermore, the only people who boast about Tom Cruise being a Scientologist are the mainstream media.

stand.

September 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

actually the rumour that people MUST pay to learn about them is false, although people have chosen to buy the books, you can't really blame them for their curiousity and their ignorance of other means of educating themselves. Heck, look at all the money being spent on education! Is spiritual learning not as important? But the truth is you can learn all about what Scientology has to offer if you do a little digging. I haven't bought a single book and I believe I have a complete understanding of what scientology is. Also, there is no "moving on up" in Scientology... you either believe or you don't believe. Those who give their money to the cause are only passionate about it and are no different than people who donate to their own Church. And furthermore, the only people who boast about Tom Cruise being a Scientologist are the mainstream media.
[/b]
Fair enough. Really, my comment regarding Tom Cruise was made in jest, not suggesting that the church itself has held him up as a spokesman. And I don't agree with charging people for books to learn about their faith, if you feel it is so important that people know the truth as you see it, wouldn't you want to spread the word at no cost to your audience? Wouldn't the congregation cover the cost so that more could learn? But hey, if people are willing to buy the book then that's fine, or if they are serious and will do the research to find out from free accurate sources, even better.

The origins of the faith have not been discussed. I'm curious as to how Mr. Hubbard came to these beliefs.

September 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
well that is definitely where it gets tricky I cannot say for certain because like I said, I have never been to a Scientologist meeting, nor have I ever talked to any Scientologist. But from what I understand it IS alien knowledge. Now before I go on, I can say that I have seen a UFO, and have talked to many others who have seen them as well. If you doubt this completely I urge you to look into the Disclosure Project.

Quote:
The Disclosure Project is a nonprofit research project working to fully disclose the facts about UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and classified advanced energy and propulsion systems. We have over 400 government, military, and intelligence community witnesses testifying to their direct, personal, first hand experience with UFOs, ETs, ET technology, and the cover-up that keeps this information secret.[/b]
http://www.disclosureproject.org/

If you still have doubts maybe the documentary Secret Space will help. Also, look into why the government is planning to weaponize space (if they haven't already). Talk to your friends and family and ask them if they have ever had any strange experiences from beyond!!

As far as any of their other beliefs (detoxifying, dianetics, ascension, 2012, planetary realignment) they are hidden throughout history in mystical text and prophecy. Even in Christianity they speak of the second coming of Jesus Christ, well that is what the ascension is to Scientologists... the awakening of the Christ Consciousness, finding your merkaba, opening your 5 chakaras... neat huh They believe that the alien presence around the earth is here to help us on the path to ascension, to guide humanity and help us overcome our oppression and a global awakening will occur. People will begin to find their inner source of Light and Love and be pulled away from negative forces that exist in the world that block us from seeing the Truth.

Obviously there is more (like how did we really get here? creation? evolution? planned placement by humanoid aliens?) but I don't want to write a mini novel, LOL!!! If I have truly sparked your interest I suggest trying to find the series Legend of Atlantis by Elia, if you use torrents that might be the easiest way. I don't know much about this dude other than he is a self proclaimed prophet, I don't know if he has ties to Scientologists at all, or what religion if any he claims to stand for, but through interviewing various historians throughout the world, I was pretty blown away by what I was hearing and it helped me put the pieces together =) Who knows, he might be alien!!

One last note, I really wish more Scientologists would come forth and talk to more people about their beliefs openly, so that they were not seen as so secretive. I understand why they do it, escaping ridicule from the ignorant or closed minded (heck even I started out this thread making fun of them) but this IS the 21st century... we aren't here to judge, only to understand!!

stand.

September 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Lachesis's Avatar Member

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the quotes here.

I know I'm new, but I'm going to jump in on this one because it's something I've had a bit of experience in.

I've never been a Scientologist, but I have been to meetings, primarily because I was required to by a previous employer. I will freely acknowledge up front that I am NOT a fan of Scientology and that I realize my opinions are somewhat biased, but they are based on past experience.

While it is not required that you pay to get Dianetics (you can request it for free) and possibly some other materials, it IS required that you pay to receive deeper training. And EVERYONE is required to get deeper training if they want to reach the level of "OT" or "Operating Thetan," the level at which it is believed that your soul has been possessed with the spirit of one of the aliens that was supposedly left behind after the evil alien king killed them. And the deeper the level of training, the more expensive the cost.

If you are not a professional with a private company who should be expected to be able to get the most expensive classes, you can join the "Sea Org" by signing a million year contract. Members of the Sea Org generally must work for companies owned by Scientologist and their children must go to Scientologist schools. I do not know what the level of monetary commitment is for the members of the Sea Org, but there IS a monetary commitment that is required.

And I agree that people who are passionate about their places of worship generally do donate. My problem with Scientology (one of my many problems with them), is the way in which they manipulate their members into their "higher" levels, thereby making their members pay out more and more money, or give up more and more of their freedoms, in order to reach these levels.

I don't know about the bet the LRon Hubbard supposedly made, but he WAS quoted at a Science Fiction writer's convention as saying "If you really want to make money, start a religion."

September 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
thank you for your personal insight and experience. the way you describe it does make it seem so sketchy... to each their own I guess!! Sea Org?? weird.

stand.

September 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Lachesis's Avatar Member
Quote:
thank you for your personal insight and experience. the way you describe it does make it seem so sketchy... to each their own I guess!! Sea Org?? weird.[/b]
Yeah, I lived in Clearwater, Florida where one of their headquarters is located. I knew we didn't have a Navy base around, and I was trying to figure out who all the people were in naval uniforms.

They scare the living daylights out of me. My experiences with them notwithstanding, there have been far too many documented cases of what they do to people who oppose them, including going so far as having people framed for crimes. This is not heresay, this is evidence substantiated by the FBI.

Oh, and for the record, the Cult Awareness Network, a watchdog group of cults, is now owned by the Church of Scientology.

October 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
ilovesnails's Avatar Tina come get some ham...
I think Tom Cruise is crazy(Think: PPD does not exist). So I would avoid any religion he embraced. Ick.
October 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The origins of the faith have not been discussed. I'm curious as to how Mr. Hubbard came to these beliefs.[/b]
I read somewhere that he made a bet with a friend (I think Asimov) that he could start a whole religious movement with his readers. Apparently he won...

Sharon
October 27th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
It's a cult

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search