Polygamy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Do you think polygamy should be legalized? What are your thoughts on it

October 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Hmm I really struggle with this one. If were between only between consenting adults I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, these girls are often married off to men before they are even 18 years old. I do not agree with that at all.

October 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My only problem with more than two consenting adults being married is that it may cause a spouse shortage. If so many men marries three women, thats a lot of single men who have to face life alone, for example.

October 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
lol I for one would be a woman with 5 husbands lol.

October 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmama09 View Post
lol I for one would be a woman with 5 husbands lol.
Not me! One whiny husband is all I can take some days. If all 5 got sick at once and I had to listen to 5 whiny grown men I'd lose my mind. I love my DH but man he can turn into a big baby when he's sick.

October 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
kellsman
myself i think its wrong i mean it is illegal and sides who the heck would wanna be with a girl so young hell most of the girls that are married off don't even know anything about being a mother nor has she had any responsabilities ,never babysat or nothing
October 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it should be legal because it is too complicated legally. If a married couple wants another woman to move & act like a wife, fine - that is their business....but with issues like divorce, insurance coverage, death benefits, etc...it's all too much headache. I think 2 people being married (legally) is what our system is currently set up to handle (regarding laws, etc) - and if people want to deviate from that then I don't think we should have to sort out a whole new system to handle it - especially when there should be nothing preventing them from having whatever religious (or otherwise) ceremony they want to have for commitment & going on from there as if they are legally married & then if THEY want to establish death benefits through will writing, etc - they can sort out what they think should happen & have it be their issue to deal with.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
foxfire_ga79
I just want to point out that polygamy does not automatically mean underage people will be getting married, those are 2 separate issues. Polygamy refers to how many people are in 1 marriage, not their ages. You can accept polygamy and still think underage marriages are wrong.
October 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I just want to point out that polygamy does not automatically mean underage people will be getting married, those are 2 separate issues. Polygamy refers to how many people are in 1 marriage, not their ages. You can accept polygamy and still think underage marriages are wrong.
Agreed here.

But as for me, I think marriage should be between 2 people, whether that be 2 men, 2 girls, or one of each.

But I am not opposed to outside mutual relationships. There are girls I have met I would easily add into the dynamics of our relationship, however, getting to the married point is where I don't agree. I want to marry my boyfriend, he marry only me, and any secondary people will only be relationships that will never go above a girlfriend/boyfriend level.
October 20th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally,I find poligamy disgusting and I shudder at the thought...But thats just me
If someone else wants more than one partner,and the couple is OK with it,then It doesnt bother me,because it doesnt effect me.Should it be legal? Yes.
Adults should be able to live with who they want and take their relationships to what ever level they want..its no bodies buisness.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

October 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont care if multiple people want to live together and call themselves married. But I don't think that there should be any kind of legal contract or anything like there is in a standard marriage because of the insurance. If one man is working and has health insurance and he has 10 wives and 2 kids by each wife... who is covered by the insurance? They're all legally his wife and children. What a mess and I don't want my insurance premium to go up to pay for a guy to have 10 wives...

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

October 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't care. I see it no different than open marriages. I can't be pro-choice for pretty much everything and then be anti-this. I've always said that no one made me ask or defend MY marriage, so I won't put those constraints on others.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
aussiemummy
As long as the individuals are over 18, then go for it it.
October 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I don't have a problem with other consenting adults doing it, but personally I wouldn't be able to share my husband. However its quite possible I could stand more than one husband, lol.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't have a problem with it.

July 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Hmmm, I never responded to this.

I watch Big Love so I am understanding to some people wanting to be polygamists. I don't care who someone marries or what the terms of their marriage are.

July 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
i didn't reply either? weird.

if pologamy can be governed like a regular marriage (equal partners in every etc) then sure why not?

It's when you get into women becoming property, then you have to reconsider.

Makes me wonder how assistance would go for families like this....

July 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I believe that govt' assistance is one of the main reasons polygamy will never be accepted. Well, other than the religious side of it.

I know that when they have wives that they can't claim it means there are women that look like they are single mothers. They get assistance without having to claim the husband's income.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search