Spin-off: Phones and Driving..

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Dayna (thanks love) brought this up in another thread. Do you think it's irresponsible to text and/or talk on a phone while driving?

I know that I'm guilty of doing both and I need to stop.

October 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes but probably not a whole lot more/less dangerous than changing the radio station, eating, checking make-up, passing objects back and forth between seats, etc. while driving.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
aussiemummy
I'm sorry but YES IT IS!

I know a guy here who was texting and hit another car. He killed someone and he spent a few years in prison because of it.

People need to get one of those ear things while driving. And no more texting Carla!
October 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
You're right Dayna...it's dangerous. I don't think the earbuds/headsets that makes them handfree are any better. Talking on the phone is more a distraction of the mind than it is of the hands.

October 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Put the phone away while driving. All the time and every time.

October 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Yes but probably not a whole lot more/less dangerous than changing the radio station, eating, checking make-up, passing objects back and forth between seats, etc. while driving.
I agree. It is dangerous but so is everything else people do while they are driving.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
aussiemummy
You guys saying everything is dangerous must text while driving lol.

I'd be more than happy with banning talking on the phone while driving. People dying because of texting is crazy.
October 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post

I'd be more than happy with banning talking on the phone while driving. People dying because of texting is crazy.
I have never sent a text in my life and I rarely ever use a cell phone.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I have texted at red lights. I put the phone down if I am moving. I don't like really like texting so it isn't something I do in the car very often anyway.

October 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post

Yes, I have texted while driving before. Yes, people dying because of texting is crazy. However there are a million other things going on in the car that cause accidents where people die too. Some of those things were listed eating, changing the station, etc.

I really can't see though how you can make a statement like you did...it was awfully bold. I saw the 'lol' after it so maybe you were just joking though.

October 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
aussiemummy
I was joking
October 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I thought you might have been after I was replying.

October 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Ontario's distracted driving law kicks in Oct. 26

I am very happy about this! Whenever I'm driving and someone is being a total idiot, they are always on the darn phone!

Quote:
radio station, eating, checking make-up, passing objects back and forth between seats, etc. while driving.
agreed but most phone conversationalists take longer than a few seconds. Eating would be more up there on the dangerous list.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt223 View Post

I am very happy about this! Whenever I'm driving and someone is being a total idiot, they are always on the darn phone!

agreed but most phone conversationalists take longer than a few seconds. Eating would be more up there on the dangerous list.
I love that new law. I think it should be everywhere though. It's in Australia too -

Mobile phone laws change - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
October 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
irishxrose
I don't text while I'm driving. I do answer the phone if it is DH or my parents, though I don't call anyone and people usually know that when I'm driving I don't like to talk for very long or at all.

That said, yes I think it's irresponsible and I try not to do it at all.
October 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt223 View Post

I was just about to post this. YAY! Dangerous driving is a pet peeve of mine.

Avery Raine - 6
Brynlee Skye - 4
Baby #3 - Due January 2016
October 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I'll admit to having done most of what's listed up there.

However, I have a headset for talking, or speaker phone, I don't even have to touch the phone (I actually put it in my bra lol). Talking to my mother on the phone is LESS distracting than talking to someone in the passengers seat because I like to make eye contact when talking to someone I can see.

I in the past have texted, but only when there is no other cars coming. I put the phone in my right hand and put the hand in the wheel. It makes a text take about 10 minutes to type, but at least my eyes are still aimed in the direction of the road. I almost got run over yesterday by someone texting.. who had the phone down in their lap! they hit a pole and got mad at me when I burst out laughing at their "crap, where's my phone, I need to finish that text!". They didn't even care that their car was totaled, their head was gushing blood and that they weren't going to be able to get out of the car because it was all smushed... all they wanted was to finish their text.

But you have to admit dropping a phone is a lot less distracting than dropping a coffee in your lap. I can ignore the phone, the burning coffee is a little harder to ignore.

I think that anything that doesn't involve driving should be banned in a car. No smoking, no make up, no fiddling with the radio, no coffee, no eating. NOTHING but driving. Turn the radio on when you leave the house and leave it alone. Have the smoke BEFORE You get in. I've seen more than one accident as a volunteer firefighter in my younger years where the accident causer admits to having dropped a cigarette and reaching to get it and then hitting someone.

My brother is studying this in class this year. They've gathered data on accidents involving kids using phones. And kids not using phones. 80% of the accidents turned up on both sides involve cars FULL of kids. Maybe the issue (when discussing kids) isn't the phone, but it's the fact that as soon as you've got your license you cram the car full of immature children and go joy riding? I have "young" restrictions still, because I can't afford the course to get my adult license (lol) I can put 1 person in front with me and fill all the belts in the back. So I can grab a mini van and go ride with 7 ppl. Even with 10 years of driving behind me now (as of yesterday lol) I would get distracted.

October 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Mommyto2Girls's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that talking on the phone, and texting while driving is dangerous, but like some other ladies have said so are many other things people do in their cars. I have seen people eating nachos while driving...LOL, putting on makeup, reading, fumbling with iPods, the list could go on. That said I am definitely guilty of occasionally using the phone while driving, but I usually put it on speaker, and set it on the dash board. I also do not text while my car is moving.

Thanks AlexAiden Mommy
for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search