Halloween "crossdressing" spinoff

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
For those who said they wouldn't let their boy dress like a girl for Halloween I'm really curious about your reasons?

Do you think it's going to turn your son into a crossdresser or turn him gay?

Would you let your daughter dress like a football player?

I just really don't get it. It's Halloween. The whole point is to dress up as something you're not.

October 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM
aussiemummy
I said I wouldn't care but my boyfriend wouldn't allow it. Not sure why he wouldn't. But he's one of those dads who won't let Brayden play with girls toys etc etc. Drives me nuts really. I let him play with whatever he wants.

I asked him if he's worried about him 'turning gay' *ridiculous I know* and he said no. He wouldn't care if he was gay. So I'm not sure if I understand his reasoning.
October 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
I said I wouldn't care but my boyfriend wouldn't allow it. Not sure why he wouldn't. But he's one of those dads who won't let Brayden play with girls toys etc etc. Drives me nuts really. I let him play with whatever he wants.

I asked him if he's worried about him 'turning gay' *ridiculous I know* and he said no. He wouldn't care if he was gay. So I'm not sure if I understand his reasoning.
I think sometimes people who feel that way don't have a specific reasoning. It's just because they were raised that way so they continue to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

One that always cracks me up is that toy kitchens are "girl toys." Funny thing is that most of the world's most famous chefs are men!

October 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
One that always cracks me up is that toy kitchens are "girl toys." Funny thing is that most of the world's most famous chefs are men!

This really ticks me off - that things that are considered "girl toys" only come totally girled out to the max. Practically every kitchen set I have seen has Barbie or the Disney princesses plastered all over them. I wanted to get my son a stroller because he likes to push around his stuffed animals in, and I literally couldn't find one that wasn't pink with flowers or Cinderella all over it. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded, but it still really irritated me that the manufacturers assumed only girlie girls want to play with those kinds of toys. Oh, and the worst I have experienced? When I got pregnant with this baby, I got each of my kids a baby doll to practice with. DS really wants a brother, so I wanted to get him a boy baby doll, or at least one that didn't scream girl. After going to 2 stores and looking on every single shelf, I found ONE boy doll that Toys R Us carried. When I was paying for it, I casually mentioned to the checker that they need to supply more boy dolls. He said "That's beacuse boys don't play with dolls." I informed him that yes, boys often played with dolls, and he said "Well, I'm sure their dad's don't want them to play with dolls." I couldn't believe it. I really should have called the manager the next day, but I completely forgot all about doing it.

Ok, end of my boy/girl toy rant.
October 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Do you think it's going to turn your son into a crossdresser or turn him gay? I almost fell off my chair laughing at this question. No, I do not think that dressing as a girl for halloween would turn my 'son' into a crossdresser or gay.

Would you let your daughter dress like a football player? No, I would not.

When my children are old enough to make/buy their own costumes they can be whatever they want to be for Halloween. Halloween is supposed to be a fun holiday but when I am taking them trick-or-treating and supervising parties they will dress according to my guidelines. I would have no problem with my high school aged son dressing as Cher or HM or Madonna for Halloween. I would be laughing my butt off and taking pictures to show his future wife and kids.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
This really ticks me off - that things that are considered "girl toys" only come totally girled out to the max. Practically every kitchen set I have seen has Barbie or the Disney princesses plastered all over them. I wanted to get my son a stroller because he likes to push around his stuffed animals in, and I literally couldn't find one that wasn't pink with flowers or Cinderella all over it. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded, but it still really irritated me that the manufacturers assumed only girlie girls want to play with those kinds of toys. Oh, and the worst I have experienced? When I got pregnant with this baby, I got each of my kids a baby doll to practice with. DS really wants a brother, so I wanted to get him a boy baby doll, or at least one that didn't scream girl. After going to 2 stores and looking on every single shelf, I found ONE boy doll that Toys R Us carried. When I was paying for it, I casually mentioned to the checker that they need to supply more boy dolls. He said "That's beacuse boys don't play with dolls." I informed him that yes, boys often played with dolls, and he said "Well, I'm sure their dad's don't want them to play with dolls." I couldn't believe it. I really should have called the manager the next day, but I completely forgot all about doing it.

Ok, end of my boy/girl toy rant.
That would have made me so mad!!

It took us a little bit, but last year we found a kitchen that wasn't pink and frilly, and Joshua loves it. So if anyone's looking for a kitchen set that's unisex, it's the Step2 50's Retro Diner. And here's proof that boys like kitchens just as much as girls!

Ahem.

Personally, I would let my son, and if I have a daughter, dress up as they want on Halloween. It's not going to hurt them and it's Halloween. You're supposed to dress up as something you're not!
October 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
This really ticks me off - that things that are considered "girl toys" only come totally girled out to the max. Practically every kitchen set I have seen has Barbie or the Disney princesses plastered all over them. .
We bought ds a kitchen for Christma when he was 2 and it wasn't girly. Little Tyke usually and Step 2 usually has some that are great. Ours was a Step 2 green/burgundy/off white colors. Similar to this one...just a little smaller
Step2 Lifestyle Deluxe Kitchen with Realistic Sounds, Granite-Style Countertop & 28-piece Accessory Set - Step2 - Toys "R" Us
Dh also bought him a grocery cart, fake groceries, and boyish looking apron/oven mit combo (red/blue stripes).

Omgosh Andrika! I LOVE the diner. Jacob is a little big for it now but when he was a baby and my middle children were younger, dh was looking for something like that. SO cute!

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
We have a toy kitchen that isn't pink or 'girly' at all. I have actually seen more gender nutral color kitchens then pink ones. Except maybe at Target...their toy kitchens are VERY girly.

October 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
irishxrose
Thanks Tammy! Joshua loves his, even though he's grown out of the chair part lol. We're thinking of buying that deluxe one next year once he fully grows out of the diner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
We have a toy kitchen that isn't pink or 'girly' at all. I have actually seen more gender nutral color kitchens then pink ones. Except maybe at Target...their toy kitchens are VERY girly.
Yeah, Little Tyke and Step2 have a ton, you just have to know where to look KWIM? They definitely have more selection now, I've noticed. I avoid Target whenever I want to buy Joshua anything that might be considered "girly". Apparently they think anything that has to do with cleaning or cooking or dolls are for girls only. I do have to say though, I am glad that more of the toy companies are catching on that boys like the kitchens too. It took my mom ages to find one that wasn't real "girly" for my brother and I when we were little.
October 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Cooper's kitchen is gray and blue. I never understood the whole cooking is a woman's work thing. Are guys just supposed to starve until they get married? I'd prefer my son to know how to cook for himself so he's not stuck with eating out and microwave dinners after he moves out. I'm also looking forward to when he's old enough to start handling some of the meals himself.

Anyway, in regard to the original post, I honestly cannot imagine telling my child he couldn't have the costume he wanted for Halloween. The only exception would be if he wanted something that was crazy expensive, and then I would do whatever I could to come up with an affordable alternative. Well, and I wouldn't let him be Hitler or a Klansman or something like that, but we would have a conversation about why that's not okay. "Because I don't like it," doesn't fly in this house. There has to be a reason.

October 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Cooper's kitchen is gray and blue. I never understood the whole cooking is a woman's work thing. Are guys just supposed to starve until they get married? I'd prefer my son to know how to cook for himself so he's not stuck with eating out and microwave dinners after he moves out. I'm also looking forward to when he's old enough to start handling some of the meals himself.

Anyway, in regard to the original post, I honestly cannot imagine telling my child he couldn't have the costume he wanted for Halloween. The only exception would be if he wanted something that was crazy expensive, and then I would do whatever I could to come up with an affordable alternative. Well, and I wouldn't let him be Hitler or a Klansman or something like that, but we would have a conversation about why that's not okay. "Because I don't like it," doesn't fly in this house. There has to be a reason.
Jess, you explained it in a way I couldn't. (I'm sick so I'm doped up right now lol )

I don't get the kitchen thing either. Seriously, if my son only watched me, he'd never learn how to cook. I'm not the cook in this house, DH is. This is bad to say, but I'd totally survive off of ramen and mac n cheese without DH. I'm THAT bad of a cook.
October 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Would you let your daughter dress like a football player?

This is part of the problem...assuming a football player has to be male. Girls are football players too.
October 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
This is part of the problem...assuming a football player has to be male. Girls are football players too.
That doesn't stop people from assuming that football (or any male dominated sport for that matter) is a "guy" sport only. Unfortunately.
October 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Exactly. I played competitive hockey until I was ten. Unfortunately I quit because of the attitudes toward girls playing in "boys only" sports. This was before girls hockey really took off and some of the mothers had a problem with me being in the locker room with their boys, even after everyone was dressed. I'm guessing, based on some of the attitudes in these Halloween threads, that not much has changed in the last fifteen years.

October 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Can you name one female NFL player or team? I'm not saying women can't play football that's for sure but it is typically thought of as a male sport. I was a football player for Halloween when I was maybe 5 or 6.

So still no one has explained why they'd be against their son dressing as a girl for Halloween. I'm hoping someone will offer an explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
Do you think it's going to turn your son into a crossdresser or turn him gay? I almost fell off my chair laughing at this question. No, I do not think that dressing as a girl for halloween would turn my 'son' into a crossdresser or gay.

Would you let your daughter dress like a football player? No, I would not.

When my children are old enough to make/buy their own costumes they can be whatever they want to be for Halloween. Halloween is supposed to be a fun holiday but when I am taking them trick-or-treating and supervising parties they will dress according to my guidelines. I would have no problem with my high school aged son dressing as Cher or HM or Madonna for Halloween. I would be laughing my butt off and taking pictures to show his future wife and kids.
So why would it be ok and funny for a high school kid to do it but not a little boy?

October 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
aussiemummy
Quote:
I think sometimes people who feel that way don't have a specific reasoning. It's just because they were raised that way so they continue to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

I'll have to ask the boyfriend if he was raised that way. His father wasn't really in his life so someone obviously influenced him to feel like this.

We'll be at our friends house *who has all girls* and the entire time he's taking wands and barbies off Brayden. I give them back to him and we argue about it. Our daughter plays with his cars, trucks etc and nothing is said. How hypocritical.

Toy kitchens..ugh. Another sore subject. Our friend tried to give my son a used dora kitchen but Tello refused.
October 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Can you name one female NFL player or team? I'm not saying women can't play football that's for sure but it is typically thought of as a male sport. I was a football player for Halloween when I was maybe 5 or 6.

So still no one has explained why they'd be against their son dressing as a girl for Halloween. I'm hoping someone will offer an explanation.

So why would it be ok and funny for a high school kid to do it but not a little boy?
LoriB made a good response in the original thread...check that out and mostly I agree with that.

I don't know how to better explain it really.

I should also expand on the football player daughter answer. I wouldn't let my daughter dress up as a football player but she was a hockey player for trick or treat at my dad's camp. She loves hockey (and was afraid of all the other costumes). I don't think that football, baseball, hockey, etc players are only boys and can only be boys.

October 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I said no b/c I wouldn't want him to be really proud of his costume and then get teased about it. When I was in first grade I loved the story of Paul Bunyan and one day we had a day where we could come dressed as our favorite story character. Of course I begged my mom to get the stuff so I could be Paul Bunyan. I went to school dressed like a little lumberjack with my hair tucked under a cap and my face painted to look like a beard. Got teased mercilessly. Even to this day I wish I had been little red riding hood like my mom suggested.

October 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharethissmile2 View Post
I said no b/c I wouldn't want him to be really proud of his costume and then get teased about it. When I was in first grade I loved the story of Paul Bunyan and one day we had a day where we could come dressed as our favorite story character. Of course I begged my mom to get the stuff so I could be Paul Bunyan. I went to school dressed like a little lumberjack with my hair tucked under a cap and my face painted to look like a beard. Got teased mercilessly. Even to this day I wish I had been little red riding hood like my mom suggested.
I got dressed up as some little boy when I was younger too. Can't remember his name..had a stick with my lunch tied to it...can't remember.

But I was teased too. Made me feel like crap.
October 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Not the NFL, but college, sure. And in some parts of the country, college football is much more popular than the NFL. Ashley Martin was a soccer player when I was playing who ended up kicking for Jacksonville. Katie Hnida played for CU. Both of those teams were Division I.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search