Your Daughter Gets Her Period...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Tampons or Pads....
I use pads, so she'll use pads. 6 10.00%
I use tampons, so she'll use tampons. 0 0%
I use tampons, but she'll use pads. 4 6.67%
I use pads, but she'll use tampons. 0 0%
I'll let her make her own decision. 49 81.67%
Virgins shouldn't use tampons. 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
At the age of 13 or under...tampons or pads?

October 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Whatever she feels comfortable with.

October 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
foxfire_ga79
Whatever she wants. My sister and I both started at 11 and our mom had taught us about both. I wouldn't force my daughter to use something she wasn't comfortable with. Some people have really strong aversions to one or the other.
October 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Her own decision, although I hope she'll use pads since there are less negative side effects. I'd probably encourage to especially start with pads since many teens can forget to change a tampon but if she felt more comfortable with tampons and understood about toxic shock syndrome then I'd let her.

October 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I agree Lori. I have that same issue with a young girl using tampons. I'd be afraid that she'd forget to change it often enough, which could lead to TSS or some other infection. So, I'd start her out with pads and let her make her own decision a little later.

My mom started me out with pads and I hated EVERY. MINUTE. OF. IT. but later on she did allow me to switch over to tamphon after making me read that little graphic piece of paper that comes in the tampon box. I abhor pads, but feel it would be best for her to start out with them just as I did.

October 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would likely encourage her to at least try pads at first until she gets a little more adjusted. That being said, for each of my nieces when they started their 1st period I celebrated & gave them a "coming of age" gift which consisted of a heating pad, some motrin/midol, a box of chocolate, several fun magazines that suited them & about every kind of feminine product you could think of in small size so they could try out whatever they wanted at their leisure & decide what they felt was best for them. In the end I would hope she would be willing to try something like a Diva cup over tampons....but we'll see. I don't even have a DD at this point...LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I'll let her decide. I hate pads, so I never have any in the house. So she may have to use tampons until I can get to a store to get pads if that's what she wants.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
October 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
She can use whatever she wants to use.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
irishxrose
Whatever she chooses, I'm fine with.
October 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She can choose what she wants. I'll let her know about each option, including Diva Cups and the like. But ultimately, it's her choice about what's right for her.

My mom was very hands off when it came to this issue. We never discussed it. We had both pads and tampons in the house and it was understood that I could use what I wanted. I used pads at first because it was easy and I was a little leery about trying tampons. That only lasted about a year. Then I decided one day to try tampons on my own and I've used both since.
October 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I have a 14 year old step daughter. She got her period for the first time while she was here with us. I gave her pads to start with and she was fine with that.

Now she's been through 2 summers with having her period. Her mom will NOT let her wear tampons. Her dad and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Poor kid wanted to swim and her mom told her to just wear a pad in the pool and put shorts over her bathing suit. Her mom is an idiot though.

October 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll probably buy her pads at first, with the understanding that when she feels ready and comfortable, I will buy her tampons. I used pads for the first couple of years because it seemed very complicated and foreign to me to use tampons. I use a keeper, so I will encourage her to use that or similar over tampons when she is ready, for the environment and also because I think it is healthier.
October 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Poor kid wanted to swim and her mom told her to just wear a pad in the pool and put shorts over her bathing suit.
Poor baby...too bad she has to suffer because her mom is an idiot. And that's very unsanitary as well.

October 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pads at first.

I still will not let my 15 year old go to tampons (unless shes swimming and I can remind her to go back to a pad when shes done). She has issues with her periods and pads work better for her.

When my 8 year old had her first cycle with only Daddy home (I was working), DH cut a pad to fit her underwear and had my teen take it into her to show her what it was and how to use it.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
October 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswordwiz View Post
Pads at first.

When my 8 year old had her first cycle with only Daddy home (I was working), DH cut a pad to fit her underwear and had my teen take it into her to show her what it was and how to use it.

8?!?! Is that how young girls are starting these days? DD is almost 7, so I guess it may be sooner than I had hoped. What a cute daddy though.
October 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Poor baby...too bad she has to suffer because her mom is an idiot. And that's very unsanitary as well.
That's for sure. Her mom will let her wear 10 tons of makeup, dye her hair all kinds of ridiculous colors and wear clothes that aren't very appropriate but she won't let her wear a tampon to swim!

Her Dad told her she could use a tampon (after all he is her parent too) but DSD refused because she knew her mom would be mad.

October 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will likely give her pads for her first period or 2. But i plan to educate her on whats out there, and how to use them, when to change them, etc, and let her make her own decision. I'm sure the first time she wears something other then a pad, i'll be constantly reminding her to change.

I get all sad when i think about topics like these, my baby girl is growing up so fast and before i know it she will be a little woman.
October 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
what PP have said.

up to DD but pads preferably at first

October 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whatever she felt comfortable with. That being said, she may not be able to use tampons so easily if she takes after me. I pass big big clots during my period and have extremely heavy periods, and can bleed through a tampon in sometimes as little as an hour. I usually have to have a pad and tampon on (2 pads to be honest) in order to control my flow and not leak. So if she is like me she might need to use them to keep the flow somewhat manageable. But if she didn't want to, fine. If she did, I will let her as long as she proves to be responsible enough to change it when it needs to.
October 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whatever she feels comfortable with. I use cloth pads, and I hope that she'll choose to do the same, but if she doesn't thats fine.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search