Inducing labor at home

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Ok I was due yesterday with baby #2 (baby #1 came at 38 1/2 weeks). While I am incredibly grateful to have had a full term healthy pregnancy I'm not ashamed to admit that I really want to be done. I'm ready to hold my baby, I'm ready to feel more comfortable again, I'm ready to eat a meal without feeling sick and I'm very very ready to be able to play with DS2 more easily.

So my question is how do you feel about home induction methods (things to encourage the start of labor)?

Which ones do you think are safe and what would you avoid?

Have you ever tried any method and did it work for you?

October 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
You mean like walking, sex, and caster oil? I don't see a problem with them.. they don't hurt the baby. Caster oil is gross and will give you the craps and stomach craps and might not work, but I don't think it's "unsafe" as long as you rehydrate right away. I wouldn't like, start a pitocin drip at home, lol.

Those methods won't work if your body and the baby aren't ready, but there's no harm is trying them, IMO. I tried most of them, and nothing worked. I was induced both pregnancies (though for medical necessity the second time, but I was 3 days post due).

ETA: I would use herbal options with caution. I know there are safe ones that ladies swear by, but I'm sure there are some unsafe ones out there. Sorry I don't know any by name - I'm not generally an herb person.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; October 29th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
October 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Yep those are the kinds of things I was thinking. Although someone said I should try to strip my own membranes. That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me!

October 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I've never had my membranes stripped, and don't know what it entails at all.. I think you have to be able to reach your own cervix, though? I know I can't reach mine, especially not when I'm "about to pop pregnant."
October 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah you have to be able to reach your own cervix which I'm not sure I'd even be capable of at this point. My belly is huge!

October 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
foxfire_ga79
Castor oil is dangerous and CAN hurt the baby. Not to mention it doesn't work on its own. It can cause contractions but if your cervix isn't ready then you won't dilate. I've tried it with all 3 of my kids. In my first and 3rd it started contractions and no dilation, with my 2nd it didn't do anything at all.
THEN I found out how toxic it is so I will not be doing it this time around.
Thinking of Using Castor Oil to Induce Labor? Think Again!
I haven't found anything that induces labor. With my 2nd I walked 4 miles a day the entire 3rd trimester, drove over bumpy roads and train tracks, did the castor oil thing, hopped up stairs and down stairs, nipple stimulation, and even accidentally fell off my horse the day after my due date. Nada. She was a week late. The doctor had even stripped my membranes at 40 weeks.
On the other hand, my mom was 10 days overdue with my little sister, and my aunt told her that she heard pizza and beer will start labor. So they ordered a bunch of pizzas, my mom had 1 beer with it, and went into labor that night lol Cute coincidence.
I know how sucky the end of pregnancy is. But considering how I've tried most home remedies before, I don't even find it worth the effort. All those things only work if you were ready to go into labor on your own, so might as well wait. *Sigh*

ETA, here's another link that mentions castor oil....Among other things.
Inducing Labor | Pregnancy | Babies Online The Blog

Last edited by foxfire_ga79; October 29th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
October 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'd personally stick to the non-medical procedures, but that's just me. *shrug*
October 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I had good luck with sex. It might have been a total coincidence but my water broke a few hours later. I was 38 weeks exactly and less than a centimeter dilated. I wasn't actually trying to induce labor and it took me a few weeks to think, "Hmmm."

October 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
At least walking is really good exercise, and good for your body in a lot of OTHER ways!

As for caster oil: "there seems to be an increase in meconium staining of the amniotic fluid" has no medical basis or proof. Some babies poop before they're born, and some babies don't. And in fact, probably most of the women who try caster oil are past 40 weeks, when the chance of meconium is higher anyways, which could easily be where the correlation comes from.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; October 29th, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
October 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
foxfire_ga79
Oh I don't regret walking at all! It may not have STARTED labor, but walking a few miles a day supposedly makes labor faster and easier when your body does finally decide to get around to it. I didn't walk with my first pregnancy and that labor was long and very rough. I walked with my 2nd and 3rd, and those labors were easy. Well, as easy as one could expect labor to be anyway. lol
October 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've heard about the meconium with the castor oil. I haven't tried it and don't really want to. With my luck it would just give me horrible diarrhea and no baby!

I know I was 2 cm dilated at 70% effaced at my appointment on Monday so my body has done some getting ready. Now hopefully it'll kick it into high gear soon!

October 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Hehe, that's farther than I ever got! I was six days "past due" with my first, and I was at 20% and .5cm. And with my second I was six days "past due" and I was at 0%, 0cm. I'm convinced that my babies don't know how to be born on their own.
October 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd be willing to try sex and chinese food (I know several folks who swear by chinese food.)

Castor oil, no way.

Stripping your OWN membranes? Egads. No.

October 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Chinese food? I've never heard that one but I love Chinese food. I wonder what you have to eat for it to supposedly work.

Yeah the stripping your own membranes one is way too much for me. That's not a risk I'd be willing to take even if I had "Go go Gadget" arms that could reach that far.

October 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My coworker just had her membranes stripped by her doctor, she said it was painful.

Try sex, but make sure he "goes off" inside because I heard its the semen that can trigger labor.

October 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think you should strip your own membranes. I would be scared of infection or something.

As for other things, I tried them, did not work. I tried walking, sex, and even eating dinner from a place that always sends people into labor

October 30th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
walking, sex, nipple stimulation, acupunctur(sp?), warm shower, spicy food, raw pineapple, bumpy drives, etc
there are SO many things you could try that wouldn't hurt

then there are caster oil,home stripping of the membrance and such that i would never personally take/do as they simply are not safe

Sex : semen softens and can trigger labour, orgasms can trigger labour and such

walking : helps to dialate and bring on contractions and can make labour easier and it can also thin out and pull the water sac more down and ready so it tears easier

Those are the two most common ways i believe

some links
How to Induce Labor Naturally?

Natural Ways to Induce Labor

Inducing Labor : American Pregnancy Association

Natural Ways to Induce Labor - LoveToKnow Pregnancy

Tired of Being Pregnant! Waiting for Labor to Begin Versus Ways to Naturally Induce Labor | Suite101.com

Last edited by Nekinna2402; October 30th, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
October 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was never desperate enough to try castor oil. Sex, chinese food, and walking ~ none worked. Had my membranes stripped at the OB's office ~ didn't work. I was even out using the push mower at 39wks 6days with my last baby ~ didn't work. All my babies were 40wks to 41 wks. Two labors started on their own and two inductions.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
my dr did a strech and sweep
that + walking + shower = owie painful contractions and baby 12-15 hours later

October 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its fine (as long as its not something like bungee jumping lol).

When I reached exactly 40 weeks (it was Wednesday the 30th of April) I told DH that we could start having sex without a condom again and that I felt comfortable about having orgasms again.
YES,I made DH wear condoms from week 10 of my pregnancy because I was scared that his sperm would make me have another premature baby (my first was a preemie) and I also made sure I had no orgasms during sex.It wasnt easy,during sex Id think about laundry or cooking

Well,that night,we DTD,I had lots of fun (if you know what I mean lol) and at 10am the next morning,my waters broke!! lol.

I dont know if it was a coincidence or not,but DH bragged about that for days! and I kept thinking "OMG,thank god we didnt do that earlier on in my pregnancy" lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search