Is Tamiflu safe?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Super Mommy
I have read a lot of negative things about Tamiflu......do you think it is safe?

I am not sure how to post links to the negative things i have found because i am no that computer savvy yet, lol.

Would you give it to your child....would you take it?

If you or your child has taken it have you had any negative reactions?
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

November 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I personally think it's one of those things where the risk of dying from the flu outweighs the potential risk of the drug. I won't get a preventative vaccine that's iffy, but if I did end up with the flu, I would take Tamiflu. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't have little kids at home, and if I wasn't preggers. I don't think I've ever taken drugs for the flu in my life, unless it turned into pneumonia. But I've also never had the flu when my immune system was compromised by pregnancy.
November 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
There is not a medicine on the market that is side effect free. With that said, here is what I found:

1. Rare but serious skin reactions and allergic reactions have been reported

2. People with the flu, particularly children and adolescents, may be at an increased risk of self injury and confusion shortly after taking TAMIFLU and should be closely monitored for signs of unusual behavior.

3. The most common side effects of TAMIFLU are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting. TAMIFLU is generally well tolerated.

From what I'm gathering, none of these side effects are guaranteed to take place. I think the benefits of Tamiflu outweigh the risks.

TAMIFLU Side Effects and Safety | TAMIFLU

If I came down with the swine flu, I wouldn't hesitate to take this; especially if it would save my life. The same goes for my son.

November 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I personally think it's one of those things where the risk of dying from the flu outweighs the potential risk of the drug. I won't get a preventative vaccine that's iffy, but if I did end up with the flu, I would take Tamiflu. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't have little kids at home, and if I wasn't preggers. I don't think I've ever taken drugs for the flu in my life, unless it turned into pneumonia. But I've also never had the flu when my immune system was compromised by pregnancy.
Ditto. Tamiflu is a Class C pregnancy drug, so I would avoid it at all costs, but if I had a severe case of the flu, I would take it if that is what my dr recommended. However, a little known fact is that the flu vaccine (ALL flu vaccines) are also Class C drugs. I would much rather take Tamiflu if I really really needed it than get a vaccine "just in case" that is at least as dangerous, and may not even work.

I wouldn't hesitate giving Tamiflu to my kid if they needed it.
November 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Tofu Bacon
No I would not give Tamiflu to myself or my children. I'll have to sort though my bookmarks to find them, but several Japanese studies showing Tamilfu to be associated with sudden deaths (possibly due suppression of the central nervous system, as well as psychiatric disturbances in adolescents. A few months back, a study published in the British Medical Journal revealed that while Tamiflu and Relenza do shorten the duration of the flu by a "whopping" 1.5 days, there is no evidence that the drugs reduce the odds of complications like pneumonia or hospitalization, no studies in infants under 1 year, and no information on the possible long-term effects when given to children. There's also concern about flu viruses becoming resistant to these drugs, just as certain bacteria have become resistant to antibiotics, so it is prudent to reserve antiral drugs for the most serious cases of flu.

I personally feel that for a typical case of flu its much safer to rely on natural antivirals (vitamin C, raw garlic and raw ginger, elderberry extract, olive leaf extract) which don't have the risks associated with Tamiflu, especially considering the benefits of Tamiflu aren't that significant.

Study: Tamiflu may do children more harm than good - CNN.com
bmj.com Rapid Responses for Maxwell, 334 (7606) 1232-1233
Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treati... [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007] - PubMed result
Guidelines on neuraminidase inhibitors in children are not supported by evidence
November 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am another one leery of taking it. I would have to think I was in serious danger first...as I am not convinced of it's safety, especially while pg. I do understand everyone being nervous - heck they are plastering it all over the news.... But what we perceive as our risks & what our real risks are, aren't always similar. For instance...I constantly hear references to how bad things are regarding crime & how it just keeps getting worse. Here is a graph from the BJS showing just the opposite: Bureau of Justice Statistics Violent Crime Rate Trends ALL my life I have heard how it's getting worse....when most graphs will show you that it has been getting better (regarding crime0 my whole life...LOL It just shows the gap between what is perception, what is reality & what is REPORTED constantly in our newspapers, online & TV....it plays into how we perceive those threats. I am personally not immune either - I just try to talk myself down from it....LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post

3. The most common side effects of TAMIFLU are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting.
Wait a second. How do they know that's a side effect? lol If you have the flu, you're throwing up and nauseous anyways.

Quote:
I personally feel that for a typical case of flu its much safer to rely on natural antivirals (vitamin C, raw garlic and raw ginger, elderberry extract, olive leaf extract) which don't have the risks associated with Tamiflu, especially considering the benefits of Tamiflu aren't that significant.
I totally agree with this. Even while pregnant, I'd have to have some serious symptoms to take any real medication for it besides Tylenol or Imodium. I tend to let my body do the natural fighting off of any viruses / bacteria and wait until it gets pretty bad before turning to antibiotics. This will probably get me killed some day, though.
November 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My personal experience with Tamiflu was BEYOND HORRIBLE!

November 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaAlexasMom View Post
My personal experience with Tamiflu was BEYOND HORRIBLE!
If you don't mind me asking...why was it horrible?
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

November 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Wait a second. How do they know that's a side effect? lol If you have the flu, you're throwing up and nauseous anyways.
They know because the rates & severity of people experiencing nausea & vomiting is much higher among those taking Tamiflu (particularly children) than among those with the same presenting symptoms who did not take it.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
foxfire_ga79
2 weeks ago DH was diagnosed with flu type A and they suspected it was H1N1. His doctor RX'd TamiFlu for me and all 3 kids. I called my OB the next morning to tell them and they said go ahead with the TamiFlu the other doc gave because they would have done the same thing.
None of the kids or I got sick from the TamiFlu and we didn't end up getting the flu either.
November 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I have read a lot of negative things about Tamiflu......do you think it is safe?

- I can speak from personal BTDT as I respond to this. I am currently on Tamiflu, something I had never heard of until last week when my 9 year old was diagnosed w/ H1N1. I am about to have surgery on the 23rd & both my PCP & surgeon told me that they wanted me on Tamiflu, they said it was preventative. I honestly have "never" heard of this drug "until" last week. So I feel at this point it's safe b/c I haven't had any adverse reactions.

Would you give it to your child....would you take it?

-As per above, I am already taking it, have been & all is well. Since so far I've had no negative reaction & it's been effective at best, I would give it to my kids, if the doctor's recommended it for a reason or so.

If you or your child has taken it have you had any negative reactions?

-I am on it, no negative reactions other than a small upset stomach, like need to take it w/ crackers & stuff. Other than that, no bad reactions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search