Kidnapping- a practical joke

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Pissed! My Friend "Abducted" My Kid! | momlogic.com

What do you think about this? What would you have done?

November 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
foxfire_ga79
I'd be really pissed for a really long time. Who knows, I might also never speak to that "friend" again. I'd fall apart if one of my kids went missing like that. In fact, last year, my 3 y/o was in the bathroom and I didn't know about it because I was planning to go out and I thought he already went out the door while I grabbed my purse and cell phone. I was outside screaming my head off for him for what felt like forever, called Dh and he was on his way home from work, and was about to call 911, before he came outside wondering why I was having a meltdown and told me he was just going potty. I'm sure it wasn't much longer than 5 minutes but it was I think the most agonizing 5 minutes of my life.
I don't know how I would react if one of my friends made me go through that on purpose thinking it would be funny, but it wouldn't be funny and it wouldn't be pretty. I can't imagine a more horrible feeling.
November 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I honestly think I would have kicked her butt into next Wednesday, assuming I didn't press charges. Joke or not, it was technically kidnapping, and I'd probably be pissed enough to at least scare her with a threat to report it.

That being said, I watch five year olds in my neighborhood riding their trike up and down the street with no parent in sight, and I've been tempted to teach their parents a lesson in safety. I don't think I'd ever do it though.. for fear of going to jail.
November 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
UNFORGIVEABLE. i would have her arrested. friend or not. that's horrid!! i'm upset just thinking about it.

Crazy enough to try all over again for a second together baby! Hoping for a much less wild ride this time!

TTC with PCOS for 5 very long years. Annovulatory cycles. Multiple doctors. Different meds. One horrible loss. And then one wonderful success, born 2/18/14.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26/13
November 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I almost wonder if there is something REALLY wrong with her friend. I mean seriously - who thinks THAT is going to be funny to anyone? I think I would probably cut her out - but I think I may have done it before it got this far....since this seems to me like she had to have done some pretty tasteless "jokes" before it went this far.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was floored too. What her friend did shows a complete detachment from any judgment. I think in the few minutes the woman's son was gone, her world probably disappeared. I don't know if I would have pressed charges or not, but it would be the end of all communication with her.

November 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
irishxrose
I would have pressed charges. I don't care if she's a friend or not - you DON'T do that kind of crap, and I certainly wouldn't think it was funny AT ALL!
November 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I doubt I would press charges, but there is no way in he11 that she would ever be welcome anywhere near me or my child again. EVER. I agree there is seriously something wrong with a person who could ever think that it would be funny to see another person's reaction to their child missing.

November 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amegra View Post
I doubt I would press charges, but there is no way in he11 that she would ever be welcome anywhere near me or my child again. EVER. I agree there is seriously something wrong with a person who could ever think that it would be funny to see another person's reaction to their child missing.
This exactly.
How someone could be so lacking in judgement would make me unable to trust them in the future. If she lacks good judgement this bad what else is she capable of?

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

November 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh lordy. First of all I probably would have gone crazy on her upon the return of my child and possibly landed myself in jail. This person would definitely be out of my life forever. This is something that you don't just forgive & forget about. I'd never be able to move past it. The person took the child without the parent's consent, that's kidnapping and the police would have heard from me. I would tell them what happened and leave it up to them on if they'd go after criminal charges. If they decided to charge her criminally, then it's time for her to learn a hard lesson. If they didn't charge her criminally, all of our mutual friends and family would be hearing about the incident as a warning to everyone else of what this person is capable of.
November 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadwed View Post
I'm Pissed! My Friend "Abducted" My Kid! | momlogic.com

What do you think about this? What would you have done?
What an awful thing to put that child through: Even Jake tells me he said, "April, I do not think Mommy will think this is funny." <--- A 9 year old with better understanding of joking. I sure don't blame him for getting into the car but imagine the anxiety he must have been feeling through that ordeal? Most kids who are kidnapped, sexually assaulted and killed know the person well.. like poor Jake here.

I likely would have settled with the lawyers, they throw out my assault with a weapon charge from April, and I'll drop kidnapping charges on April.
November 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have pressed charges. There is a BIG difference between practical jokes and plain stupidity.

I think that my old self would have come out and I probably would have kicked her butt up and down the street in the same way that I was searching for my son moments before.

So NOT FUNNY!

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
November 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That friendship would definantly be over, charges, maybe.

After all was said and done, I was make DARN sure my kid knows never EVER to go anywhere with someone, even if its someone she knows without permission from me or her dad. What if this woman seriously wanted to kidnap that boy and managed to coax him into the car that easily? Thats what bothers me the most.

November 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
aussiemummy
I would have snatched her up by her hair and proceeded to beat her. No joke. No one messes with my kid, period.

I doubt I would press charges but she'd be leaving bloody and bruised.
November 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Beyond cutting off our friendship, I think I would press charges. This woman needs to grow up, not only did she scare the bejeezus out of her friend, but she wasted precious 911 resources, and actually DID kidnap this child. No joke there.
November 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure if I would press charges or not. I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth it since she did return the boy quickly. But I would NOT be friends with her and would not communicate with her and I would let her know that is NOT OK, and that there is something seriously wrong with her.

November 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
holy... I have NO clue how I would react to that. I'd be filled with anger and a sense of relief at the same time that my son is ok. That is definitely one of the most immature actions I have ever heard of. I would definitely end that friendship, but not press charges. I would hope however that 911 would somehow legally punish her for wasting their time.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search