Should Thanksgiving be discontinued?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Due to the history of genocide against the Native Americans, etc. etc.? What are we actually celebrating here?

Discuss.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
November 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I've never really liked the idea behind it to by honest. And I never once celebrated it until I was 20, but that was more for religious reasons. I don't think it necessarily needs to be discontinued, because it's not about Native Americans anymore. Now it's about family, friends, and food. Really I think it's just an excuse for kids to get off school and for families to make an effort to see each other - and I'm okay with that.
November 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
foxfire_ga79
No it does not need to be discontinued. We are not celebrating genocide we are celebrating the things we have to be thankful for in this life.
November 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No. Frankly, I'm INCREDIBLY sick of the PC crowd trying to ruin EVERY great tradition we have in this country. You know what I celebrate at Thanksgiving? Family, Friends, Health, and all the other blessings I have to be grateful for. Perhaps if we spent MORE time as a nation being GRATEFUL for what we have rather than lamenting what we don't, we'd be better off altogether.

Last edited by DollBabyKG; November 27th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
November 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
KimberlyD0
Thanksgiving in Canada is about the celebration of the Harvest actually. Which is why ours is in October rather then November. Our harvests are mostly over by that time.

No I don't think it sould be discontinued.
November 27th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
why discontinue it? why take EVERYTHING away? thanksgiving to us is about family being together and us being thankful for what we have..which now aways doesnt happen often..even if thanksgiving was discontinued it will always be our family tradition every year..

November 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Tofu Bacon
I don't necessarily agree with it being discontinued, being so ingrained in our culture, and we cannot change what happened before our time. I just wish, like all big holidays, there wasn't so much excess and gluttony; every day of the year food is plentiful for most of us, yet on holidays we indulge even more while people all over the world are starving. I think the way to truly show that we are are thankful is to pay it forward.
November 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by insert clever username View Post
I don't necessarily agree with it being discontinued, being so ingrained in our culture, and we cannot change what happened before our time. I just wish, like all big holidays, there wasn't so much excess and gluttony; every day of the year food is plentiful for most of us, yet on holidays we indulge even more while people all over the world are starving. I think the way to truly show that we are are thankful is to pay it forward.
Very good Point
November 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
frugality=reality
It was never about the Native Americans. It's about this:

Giving Thanks 3c

It's not about the Natives. It's about our Forefathers giving thanks for being here and surviving the travels (those who did) and the war (those who did) and making sure to give thanks for it.
November 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality=reality View Post
It was never about the Native Americans. It's about this:

Giving Thanks 3c

It's not about the Natives. It's about our Forefathers giving thanks for being here and surviving the travels (those who did) and the war (those who did) and making sure to give thanks for it.
From the same site about Thanksgiving
First Thanksgiving - Primary Sources
There are 2 (and only 2) primary sources
for the events of autumn 1621 in Plymouth :
Edward Winslow writing in Mourt's Relation and
William Bradford writing in Of Plymouth Plantation

Edward Winslow, Mourt's Relation :
Quote:
"our harvest being gotten in, our governour sent foure men on fowling, that so we might after a speciall manner rejoyce together, after we had gathered the fruits of our labours ; they foure in one day killed as much fowle, as with a little helpe beside, served the Company almost a weeke, at which time amongst other Recreations, we exercised our Armes, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and amongst the rest their greatest king Massasoyt, with some ninetie men, whom for three dayes we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five Deere, which they brought to the Plantation and bestowed on our Governour, and upon the Captaine and others. And although it be not always so plentifull, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so farre from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plentie."

William Bradford, Of Plimoth Plantation :
In the original 17th century spelling

Quote:
"They begane now to gather in ye small harvest they had, and to fitte up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health & strenght, and had all things in good plenty; fFor as some were thus imployed in affairs abroad, others were excersised in fishing, aboute codd, & bass, & other fish, of which yey tooke good store, of which every family had their portion. All ye somer ther was no want. And now begane to come in store of foule, as winter approached, of which this place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besids water foule, ther was great store of wild Turkies, of which they tooke many, besids venison, &c. Besids, they had about a peck a meale a weeke to a person, or now since harvest, Indean corn to yt proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largly of their plenty hear to their freinds in England, which were not fained, but true reports."

The modern spelling is at the link
(and I don't know why this is in red and am not taking the time to figure it out....sorry)

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
frugality=reality
At what people look at as the "original" Thanksgiving, there were pilgrims and natives. However, when it was declared a National Holiday, as evidenced by the Thanksgiving Proclamation, it had ZERO to do with Natives and everything about being thankful (to God, no less) about our great country. Period. Just because there had been a shared harvest between the Natives and the Pilgrims doesn't mean that is what Thanksgiving is all about. It clearly isn't if you read the actual Proclamation.
November 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by insert clever username View Post
You are so right. The best Thanksgiving I ever had is when I went to eat with my family and then spent the rest of the evening working at a Soup Kitchen. I seriously tear up just thinking about it. It was a wonderful experience and something everyone should try to do.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

November 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. I do think people should know about the REAL Thanksgiving though. But it is a tradition and we celebrate a time for thanks more than anything. I don't think anyone celebrates the first fake thanksgiving. I DO get mad at elementary teachers (plenty at my school) who continue that crap and have them make Indian feather headbands, etc.

When I taught 2nd grade we looked critically at a book about Pilgrims and I asked them questions. It showed Pilgrims going into places where INdians were and I aske dhtem, "how would YOU feel if strangers were coming in your house?" It made for a great conversation.

November 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
No. Frankly, I'm INCREDIBLY sick of the PC crowd trying to ruin EVERY great tradition we have in this country. You know what I celebrate at Thanksgiving? Family, Friends, Health, and all the other blessings I have to be grateful for. Perhaps if we spent MORE time as a nation being GRATEFUL for what we have rather than lamenting what we don't, we'd be better off altogether.
Thank you! And there we go---agreeing again!

November 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
My grandfather was raised on a Cherokee reservation in Oklahoma, and we celebrate it. Of course, the Cherokees celebrated the harvest long before settlers landed. I do think people who protest Thanksgiving are skewing history a bit for the sake of their agenda. There are other ways to make sure what happened isn't forgotten, and there's no rule that says the day has to be about the Puritans' history.

November 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
irishxrose
No, I don't think Thanksgiving should be discontinued - it's an important holiday. What happened shouldn't be forgotten, but really a more appropriate holiday for that kind of protest is Columbus Day (which I don't believe should be a holiday as the man participated in one of the worst human rights disasters of all time, which has been covered up by our history books as he's been made into this mythical "great" figure, oh and the simple fact that he never "discovered" anything - the Vikings had landed on the continent long before so they get first European contact award, and the Natives were obviously the first discoverers of the continent in the first place as they were already here before any Europeans... anyway).

Thanksgiving celebrates the harvest and is time to give thanks for what we have. The Natives aspect is twisting history considerably, but the holiday should not be discontinued - Columbus Day is a holiday that better fits that argument.
November 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What does PC stand for anyways. Does it mean politically correct?
November 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Politically Correct, yes. There are too many abbreviations these days.
November 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Politically Correct, yes. There are too many abbreviations these days.
Got that right
November 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i suppose you could say we celebrate. Most everyone has off from work and its a perfect opportunity to get together for a meal.

We gather regularly as a family for big get together meals all throughout the year though.
I think anyone would be hard pressed to distinguish our thanksgiving celebration next to any other get together out of the year in our family. Even the theme at our normal meals is always about thanks-giving. so yes, I guess you could say we celebrate thanksgiving on the calendar-but also throughout the year. lol.
we dont always have turkey, most of us vote for Lamb.haha.

I agree that history doesnt support the Origin of thanksgiving is this list of terrible things. It just wasnt. And regardless of what it may or may not have BEEN. *Now* it is what it is -it holds its own meanings of what we celebrate in this age.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search