Baby Einstein Fraud?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Disney admits Baby Einstein is a fraud | Art Threat

Quote:
Disney’s Baby Einstein videos are no more educational than crayons are nutritious. The company is offering refunds to anyone who has purchased their insanely popular videos, arguably caving under the pressure of a complaint to the US Federal Trade Commission by the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. The CCFC filed the complaint back in 2006, based on the lack of credible evidence that screen-based media can educate children under two. It wasn’t long before Disney removed educational claims from their Baby Einstein products.
What do you think of this????

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Go Disney. I think it is stupid. I never bought them, and would never dish out that much money for them, but meh. Get a refund if your kid has outgrown them, and they are offering. Free money to buy something educational for your child. I know a lot of ppl who used those just to get 10min to do the dishes, and that is almost worth the $15 per DVD. I honestly don't care. However, I do think they are highly overpriced.
November 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah saw this one coming a long time ago. Plenty of scientific studies reported long ago that Mozart and so on do not enhance IQ or intelligence, so it was obvious these video's did nothing

November 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I agree with the refund somewhat. On one hand, I think it was irresponsible to claim the videos were educational when 1) they aren't; and 2) the recommendation is no TV at all before 2. On the other hand, I think it should have been buyer beware, and parents should have been educating themselves on what the medical community says about infants and television.

November 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They have come out and said they never stated their videos would raise IQ's. I have them and I love them. They are mesmorizing and occasionally you need 20 minutes to get things done. I never bought them thinking they'd make my kids smarter.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think anyone who honestly thought that ANY set of DVD's were going to raise their kids' IQ were probably missing a few IQ points of their own.

We bought them for Landon, not because I thought he was going to smarter because of them, but because he LOVED them, and it kept him entertained long enough for me to make dinner, or so homework every now and again. I'm not planning on returning them either.
November 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
They have come out and said they never stated their videos would raise IQ's. I have them and I love them. They are mesmorizing and occasionally you need 20 minutes to get things done. I never bought them thinking they'd make my kids smarter.
Does seem like a better choice than some other video's you could pick, so if you are looking for 20 mins of peace and quiet, I'd still pick these over something like Dora for a baby

November 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
We have them and I like them. DD still likes then at 3.5 years old. I never really count on anyone to make my kids "smarter."

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I think most people (I hope) were always aware that just because it had the word Einstein on it it wasn't going to make your kids smarter... but in the spectrum of choices, if you're looking for something to put on, I'd say these are likely better than plenty of other things.

I was a compulsive "no TV" person for the first two years... then I got pregnant, and really really tired and really really nausous, so for the last three months there's been a bit more TV watching around here than I ever would have guessed

I do think that some toys and videos, etc. tap into this fear that parents have of accidentally leaving their kids behind, or not "unleashing your child's potential during the small window of critical development" and that kind of stuff. I'm sure the marketing behind these videos was very good at quietly lending that idea to the appeal of them.

November 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Yeah I never bought into the " Baby Einstein will make my kid smarter" I don't own any of these dvds per se but he does have a few Leap frog dvds. They are not there to make kids " Smarter" however, he just likes watching them lol. I, myself, would rather him watch Leap Frog or Little Einsteins rather than Sponge Bob or Billy and Mandy". Whatever happened to shows like Eureka's castle or Lamb Chops lol.

November 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
irishxrose
Saw this one coming from a mile away. I never really liked them anyway - we had one and it just wasn't that great. I much preferred the Baby Sesame Street ones with Elmo... Joshua loved them, and when I needed to take a shower or clean, those DVDs were a lifesaver. Of course, I never bought into the whole "they make kids smarter" line either.
November 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
CSC6709
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post

I never thought they were for educational purposes.
November 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
I think anyone who honestly thought that ANY set of DVD's were going to raise their kids' IQ were probably missing a few IQ points of their own.

this

November 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
I think this is a little harsh. I know a lot of well educated mother's who thought that this would help their child at learning. I am not sure about where you are from, but in Canada it was highly publicized when my DD was born in '05. There was a HUGE hype about classical music and intelligence in children when DD was born. I never really gave it a second glance (I hate classical music and those overpriced annoying DVD's, so I wouldn't put it on for her), but I know a lot of mother's who did, and still do. Baby Eintein was super popular in my PR as well as in real life. Even the name of the DVD suggests some sort of education from them.
November 30th, 2009, 07:33 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hee hee, DH will LOVE this because he HATES Baby Einstein, and has called it a scam from day one. I thought scam was a little heavy of a word for it, but certainly over rated and not worth the cost. The only dvd we have is one we were given. I did use it a handful times when dd was around 5 months old so I could shower (strapped her into her bouncy chair, put the dogs outside) but I never counted on them to make her "smarter".

I don't know that refunds are necessary - after all, like Jess pointed out it's "Buyer Beware". Really, you're going to take recommendations on what is best for your child from a company trying to sell a product?

November 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmama09 View Post
Yeah I never bought into the " Baby Einstein will make my kid smarter" I don't own any of these dvds per se but he does have a few Leap frog dvds. They are not there to make kids " Smarter" however, he just likes watching them lol. I, myself, would rather him watch Leap Frog or Little Einsteins rather than Sponge Bob or Billy and Mandy". Whatever happened to shows like Eureka's castle or Lamb Chops lol.
Hey now, don't hate Spongebob! We love Spongebob in this house!

I always thought they were silly and only useful for distraction so you can get some dishes done. Also IMO Little Einsteins is one of the most annoying and pretentious shows ever.

November 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I knew it! When I had dd we TOLD mil not to waste ehr money on baby einstein, if she wanted to get a dvd, just get sesame street or a disney movie. So of course she bought baby einstein and then got mad when we didn't use them! We told her repeatedly that we had watched them (which, sign we DID omg) and that there was no WAY that garbage was going to make ANYONE even an infant smarter, end of story. It was crap. Looking around the living room and listening to the radio in the car is more stimulating! Anyway she would always try to lay this guilt trip on that we were making our baby stupid by not watchign the baby einstein. ANYWAY dd is very bright without baby einstein... but I have to argue that I think kids can learn things from educational videos before the age of 2. After 18 months I KNOW dd was pisking things up from the little bit of sesame street I let her watch, at the very least it was reinforcing what she learned at daycare. By the time she was 2 she knew her whole alphabet and her numbers up to 12.

Anyway we used to not let her watch more than 30 minutes of tv per day,b ut now that I'm preggo again and tired... shes watching enough that I feel guilty. We're trying to figure out some more constructive things for her, that would be low input on my end, but it's hard... the only other things she likes are those that make a giant mess!

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

November 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol. Im sorry i really dont mean to sound snobby or anything but ... This is NEWS!?
November 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Little Einsteins is definitely boring and annoying, what's really the point of it lol! DS falls asleep/ goes to play when its on lol/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search