Eating right, excercising and keeping a healthy body weight

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
We all know that maintaining a healthy BMI, having a nutritious diet and exercising regularily will keep us healthy and likely extend our lives. Not doing those things put us at increased risk for a variety of health issues. Yet, so many of us don't have (make?) time for exercise, make poor food choices, or don't maintain a healthy body weight. When it comes to these things, do you think we should be looking at diet, exercise and weight as being as important as not smoking or wearing a seatbelt to ensure we give ourselves the best possible outcome for our children?

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersh View Post
We all know that maintaining a healthy BMI, having a nutritious diet and exercising regularily will keep us healthy and likely extend our lives. Not doing those things put us at increased risk for a variety of health issues. Yet, so many of us don't have (make?) time for exercise, make poor food choices, or don't maintain a healthy body weight. When it comes to these things, do you think we should be looking at diet, exercise and weight as being as important as not smoking or wearing a seatbelt to ensure we give ourselves the best possible outcome for our children?
This is totally right. I think we should be doing these things.

I'm not right now. I'm trying and I know that's more than nothing but I find it hard to do with a toddler and a nursing one at that. I need to balance my sanity so I'm on JM more than the bike downstairs because I need to get that human interaction, even if it's online, on a phone or in a book. I know I've been working out and learning about proper nutrition my entire adult life so I think it's a good example to my kids even if I can't do it all the time. (I play hard with dd. I'm the horse she rides on, I chase, I hide, I run, I go up and down the stairs.. I'm happy with that.) My house could be cleaner but I'm willing to let that slide in order to play with my dd and live a little.
November 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to say I didn't have time to exercise. Until I came down with Ehlers Danlos syndrome and had no choice. If I don't exercise I lose the ability to use my legs and arms. All of a sudden I HAD to find the time to do it. It's amazing how much time you have for something when you have no choice to the contrary.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
chlodoll
I am currently on a weight loss mission! I have now been going to the gym for two months and although sometimes I would rather stay home and take a nap I always feel good about going. I think its should definitely be encouraged. I think kids should have gym everyday to ingrain the importance of physical activity.
November 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
lilflower
I do maintain all, except for right now because I'm on bed rest. I attended yoga classes twice a week, and I dance/d (taught intermediate ballet) 4 one hour classes a week. I am still in great shape despite the bed rest.
November 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am the most out of shape skinny person ever. I am thin. I eat liek garbage. I try to buy and eat healthy things, but I am a sugar junky. I don't exercise. However, I am getting a family membership to the YMCA because I am aware that my health is important. It is also good for the winter blahs!
November 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I think they are as important.

But, for whatever reason, it's harder for us to approach them from that perspective - emotion, habit, family-learned traits, etc.

I am definitely guilty of this - my son gets a lunch packed for daycare with fruit, veggies, milk, wholesome hot lunch, healthy whole grain breads or crackers, etc.... and then I grab some drive-through on my way to work for myself.

Why do I have time to make sure he is well fed, but I don't have time to do it for me? Wouldn't me being healthy be just as important to him, on multiple levels? Rationally, yes... and yet, my brain doesn't go there in that moment of making a fast choice, or deciding if I want to read a book or work out, kwim?

November 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eating well and exercising is huge. I'd bet if everyone did that on a regular basis a lot of diseases would be drastically decreased.

However, I'll admit to being guilty of eating like crap sometimes and getting very little exercise. Between working and dd I don't get a lot of opportunity, and when I do have time I'm usually too wiped out to do more than sit on the couch and goof off on JM. If I eat junk it's usually because I'm too tired to fix something better.

We plan on joining a gym in the new year, and alternating nights so hopefully that will solve the babysitting dilemma as well. Finding someone to watch dd so I can work out is another huge hurdle.

November 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
irishxrose
It absolutely is just as important. I've been really getting on my DH about it, especially after I reached my goal weight and went to my doctor, and all of my bloodwork came back as the best I've ever had - it took an entire lifestyle change to get me to that point. I'm not a member of a gym, because I have anxiety about working out in front of people, but I work out at home, with weights and my Wii Fit, and I run when the weather's not crappy. I completely changed my eating habits, and have made it a point to eat smaller portions and order "petite" sizes if we end up going out to a restuarant. I made this choice because I had to for my career - but also for me, for my health. Not exercising, having excess weight and eating like total crap didn't help my PCOS, and probably contributed to its severity. Now, my PCOS is manageable and nowhere near severe - and it was because I knew that I HAD to change. And I've never been so happier that I have, and that I took that time to commit to changing. It's something I'm immensely proud of and I know that I have added back the years my poor choices took away... or at least some of them.

And I just want to say - you don't have to join a gym to get fit. Just sayin'.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search