Bad Parenting or Ingenuity?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel

dangerous and reckless or not so much?
December 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMGosh! Please tell me thats a doll and not a real baby
If they bump something or someone and knock that box off center, it could fall into the cart. I can feel my inner panic rising ~ its dangerous and stupid imo.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
OMGosh! Please tell me thats a doll and not a real baby
If they bump something or someone and knock that box off center, it could fall into the cart. I can feel my inner panic rising ~ its dangerous and stupid imo.
Big Fat Freaking Ditto!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
December 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
lilflower
OMG are you serious? That is way more than dangerous! I think if I saw that I might want to resort to physical violence to make that mother realize what she is doing!
December 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
That looks like a dad decision to me. I think most guys are missing the part of their brain that yells, "Dangerous! Bad idea!"

December 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Since they're standing in line, I vote that it's not ridiculously bad parenting. if the cart gets bumped into, the box would fall to the front, since it's weighted by the box on top of it. Plus it's a scooter, and not especially heavy. Plus, it looks like someone is holding the box in place.

If they were walking around the store like that, I might freak out a little. But it's kind of hard to tell how long the box has been there just from a snapshot. Long enough that stuff is leaning against it, but not so long that there's not stuff underneath it.

It's not something I would personally do, but I doubt the kid is in a huge amount of danger either. It's a bad decision either way, but not one I would call DCF for or anything.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
IceAngel8381's Avatar Wendy~~Mommy To Eva
***!?!?

I *really* hope that is a doll and not a real child. Otherwise, someone needs slapped!!

A special thank you to Amber for the awesome siggy!! You ROCK!!

December 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Since they're standing in line, I vote that it's not ridiculously bad parenting. if the cart gets bumped into, the box would fall to the front, since it's weighted by the box on top of it. Plus it's a scooter, and not especially heavy. Plus, it looks like someone is holding the box in place.

If they were walking around the store like that, I might freak out a little. But it's kind of hard to tell how long the box has been there just from a snapshot. Long enough that stuff is leaning against it, but not so long that there's not stuff underneath it.

If you look a little closer it appears that there are items on top of the childs leg and lower body area inside the cart.

Also, if they are standing in line then how did they get those large boxes to the check out? I would bet money that they didn't carry them to the check out THEN place them on top of the cart...because in that case it would have made more sense to put those large boxes on the floor beside the cart rather than on top of the cart.

December 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh my! We've laid our kids in the cart to nap before but never with things on top like that!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oy.....

December 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
For all we know, they could have transferred carts when they got in line. Maybe they were walking about with two carts in the store and wanted to downsize to one cart at check out. One picture doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I don't tend to make snap judgments about people and situations without considering both sides of the situation to some extent, but you forgot the rest of my quote where I said it was a bad decision.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That looks like a dad decision to me. I think most guys are missing the part of their brain that yells, "Dangerous! Bad idea!"
LOL. Exactly what I was thinking. I don't think bad parenting, just a stupid decision. They probably didn't see the danger in it. I bet if they saw this on the net, and ppl to it, they are probably red in the face.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
irishxrose
Oh wow... I wouldn't say bad parenting right off the bat, but that certainly seems dangerous to me!
December 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Quote:
For all we know, they could have transferred carts when they got in line. Maybe they were walking about with two carts in the store and wanted to downsize to one cart at check out. One picture doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I don't tend to make snap judgments about people and situations without considering both sides of the situation to some extent, but you forgot the rest of my quote where I said it was a bad decision.
In the end does it really matter how long the boxes have been there? The point is it is a bad choice..that's the bottom line. There are products stacked up on top of the child’s lower body. There are TWO large boxes stacked above the child’s head. It is a bad accident waiting to happen.

It's like not wearing your seat belt to move the car across the street because 'I am just moving it across the street.' Bad stuff happens when you think it is least possible.

December 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
but you forgot the rest of my quote where I said it was a bad decision.
Twice.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Plus it's a scooter, and not especially heavy. Plus, it looks like someone is holding the box in place.
??? It looks to me like a big wheel with a shop vac on top of that. Those things together would definitely be much heavier than that small child. I think this is incredibly stupid. If your child is that tired and needs a nap in the cart, grab another one to pile your stuff on. It's not that hard.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
??? It looks to me like a big wheel with a shop vac on top of that. Those things together would definitely be much heavier than that small child. I think this is incredibly stupid. If your child is that tired and needs a nap in the cart, grab another one to pile your stuff on. It's not that hard.
It's a "6-volt, 3-wheel Scooter." And physics would dictate that the shop vac would not fall onto the child, even if the scooter did.

My point was that I don't think it's a life or death situation, lol.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Twice.
No, I didn't forget.

December 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok... I have to admit that I stared at that picture for about 10 minutes wondering what the big deal was before I saw the poor little kid in the cart. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sorry, wrong.

I mean, putting the kid in the cart is already grey territory, I mean I've done it myself if Ivy was tired or misbehaving, but I know it's grey territory because store clerks will come over and telly ou nott o put the kid in that part of the cart. But omg, the boxes over the poor little guy?

I mean, I don't think that if the boxes fell that it would kill or even seriously injure him. I think he would be scared for sure, might get dinged up, but I think ultimately he'd be ok. Thing is though... Thats still a human being, and I mean I just don't think that putting any human being in a position like that... it's undignified. Really, it is. Thoughtless.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

December 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

My point was that I don't think it's a life or death situation, lol.

Something doesn't have to be life or death to be dangerous. If that box fell on the child, a bone could be broken, he could suffer a head wound -- lots of things could happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search