Strongest kids in the world..

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Thoughs about this?

Here is an example of one of the latest kids i have seen like this..
what is everyones thoughts? nay, no or just whatever?

Giuliano Stroe - World's Strongest Kids in the World | World Records 2010 2009 2008 | Limca Records Books | Amazing Video

(Watch the video on there.. there is even more on youtube)

Quote:
Giuliano has been training since he was 2 in the town in Italy where his family lives.

"He has been going to the gym with me ever since he was born. I always took him with me when I went training," the boy's father, Iulian Stroe, 33, told the paper.
Do you think his parents (dad?) is in any way making him do those things and over doing it with the boy?

December 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Without knowing the parents, I have no idea.

We've seen 5-year-olds play Beethoven perfectly on the piano, 6-year-olds singing opera..

If the kid loves doing it then awesome. But it's hard to tell which it is just from one video. It is difficult to make a toddler work hard enough to gets abs like that if they don't enjoy it, though.. I'd wager.
December 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
It is a lot different from playing the piano - it can really stunt a kids growth and mess them up to have them lift at such a young age. It is not healthy for their little bodies.
December 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband is really into physical fitness. He was telling me thats it really really bad for these kids bodies to be doing this. They shouldn't be weight training until they are a certain age (can't remember what it was but I think it was around puberty) because you can severely damage yourself prior.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Do you think his parents (dad?) is in any way making him do those things and over doing it with the boy?
Was the question I was answering.

However..

Quote:
According to both the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), prepubescent children can safely engage in resistance training, with certain limitations. These bodies have issued guidelines on childhood strength training.

*Children should be sufficiently mature that they can respond to coaching advice, and will behave appropriately (follow instructions and respect their fellow trainers).
*Weight-training should form only part of a child's exercise regime (sports, play and other movement related activities are also important).
*Children should avoid maximal or near-maximal lifts. ACSM specifically states that children should work with a resistance that will allow them to perform no fewer than eight repetitions (in other words, with children, emphasize lighter weights and higher reps).
*Children should be supervised at all times during their weight-training sessions.
Special care must be taken to avoid overuse injuries, which growing children may be more predisposed to (keep the exercise routine varied to prevent continued stress on any particular part of the body).
*Proper form and technique must be maintained in all lifts. Given children are more susceptible to injury, as their muscular systems are underdeveloped, never risk cheating or sacrificing technique for weight/rep targets.
ETA: I'm not saying it's awesome for them, but there are worse ways to let a child enjoy himself if he does, in fact, enjoy the activity. Playing in traffic, for instance.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; December 5th, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
December 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
My husband is really into physical fitness. He was telling me thats it really really bad for these kids bodies to be doing this. They shouldn't be weight training until they are a certain age (can't remember what it was but I think it was around puberty) because you can severely damage yourself prior.
I was going to say that if he was actually interested in training, then great. But after reading your response I think I can safely change my answer to it's not okay. I didn't realise that kids can severley damage themselves.
December 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
They can damage themselves by pulling muscles and regular sport's injuries mostly.. which even an adult can do. It's not that much different than a pregnant women in the third trimester. You alter the training program to fit the needs and limitations of a child.
December 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Was the question I was answering.

However..

ETA: I'm not saying it's awesome for them, but there are worse ways to let a child enjoy himself if he does, in fact, enjoy the activity. Playing in traffic, for instance.

well, obviously if it bad for the child's body then the parents are over doing it - you don't have to know the parents to know that.
As for the ACSM instruction you posted - childhood goes all the way through the teenage years. There is a big difference between a five year old paying soccer and doing drills related to soccer and a five year lifting weights. There is also a huge difference between a five year old lifting weights and a 13 year old lifting weights.
I don't think the argument that there are worse things a parent could do really makes much sense. There are also worse things a parent could do than letting a kid play in traffic. so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
They can damage themselves by pulling muscles and regular sport's injuries mostly.. which even an adult can do. It's not that much different than a pregnant women in the third trimester. You alter the training program to fit the needs and limitations of a child.

I understand what you are saying but it is obvious just by looking at the picture of that little boy that he has done extensive training that is bad for his body.
December 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
well, obviously if it bad for the child's body then the parents are over doing it - you don't have to know the parents to know that.
As for the ACSM instruction you posted - childhood goes all the way through the teenage years. There is a big difference between a five year old paying soccer and doing drills related to soccer and a five year lifting weights. There is also a huge difference between a five year old lifting weights and a 13 year old lifting weights.
I don't think the argument that there are worse things a parent could do really makes much sense. There are also worse things a parent could do than letting a kid play in traffic. so?

I understand what you are saying but it is obvious just by looking at the picture of that little boy that he has done extensive training that is bad for his body.
I agree.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search