Is addiction a disease?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Do you believe that addictions (drug addiction, alcoholism, food, etc) is a disease?

Why or why not?

December 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning

A disease or medical condition is an abnormal condition of an organism that impairs bodily functions, associated with specific symptoms and signs.

An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired
So, yes.
December 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
aussiemummy
I never really thought about it to be honest. I have a heavy drug addict for 9 years on and off and I never thought I had a 'disease'. But I'm guessing that yes it is a disease.
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I think it is a disease. I'd be interested to hear Lauren's take on this debate, from a psychology standpoint.

Lisa
December 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I think it is a disease. I would consider it a mental illness.

December 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes and no and it depends on the person. It's an illness, but it's in a class all by itself, imo. I don't want to explain more than that because I will probably really rub some people the wrong way.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

December 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I think it is a disease. I would consider it a mental illness.
I do not think it is a disease but if I did I would have to put it in the mental illness category.

I think that it is a weakness. I think that when children of addicts become addicted themselves it is less genetics and more influence.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
December 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
I do not think it is a disease but if I did I would have to put it in the mental illness category.

I think that it is a weakness. I think that when children of addicts become addicted themselves it is less genetics and more influence.
I think the exact opposite of this.

December 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
This explains why addiction and mental illness are linked.

Mental Illness And Drug Addiction May Co-occur Due To Disturbance In Part Of The Brain

December 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
"Addiction researchers have found that several genes are linked with multiple addictions," says co-author Ming Li, Ph.D., professor of psychiatry and neurobehavioral sciences at the UVA School of Medicine. "So, we're narrowing the scope to specific genetic targets. Once researchers can pinpoint exact genetic variants and molecular mechanisms, then we can create much more effective, even personalized, treatments for individuals addicted to a variety of substances."
Common Genes Tied To Alcohol, Nicotine, Cocaine Addictions

This shows how their are genetic links to addiction.

December 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For some people, yes, it is a form of mental illness that they may geneticallly predisposed to. These are the people who will struggle the most with addiction.

Some other people I think do not have this same level of addictive predisposition, but are instead chronic users and come up with excuses why not to quit something they in reality enjoy, and claiming a disease can be a handy excuse for those ones. It's too bad, because that takes credibility away from those who really do struggle with true addiction.

December 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I consider it a mental illness (if it's a true addiction and not just something the person is doing for recreation).

December 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
For those that do not consider addiction a disease, would you mind explaining what the difference between the two is, in your opinion?

December 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that for many people there is a genetic predisposition. I don't know as I would consider it a mental illness but more of someone trying to self medicate for other reasons that may include mental illness.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmom View Post
Yes and no and it depends on the person. It's an illness, but it's in a class all by itself, imo. I don't want to explain more than that because I will probably really rub some people the wrong way.
No go ahead and explain, I'm interested to read it

Honestly, all BS aside.

I was an addict for quite a few years. Shooting speed for 8 years, then heroin for a year.
December 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyones addicted to something. Im addicted to my guitar.

I don't like the idea of calling it a disease- you dont have a choice in a disease.
You dont try a sickness out and then get addicted to it.

Theres too much choice involved in creating an addiction and also in breaking an addiction. I KNOW it is incredibly difficult to break an addiction but its always %100 possible. Depending on how deep in you've fallen you may or may not need outside help.
that doesnt make it a disease though.

Im willing to believe its possible some people are more predispositioned than others but as far as I know there's no documentation of that theory.
December 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
Everyones addicted to something. Im addicted to my guitar.

I don't like the idea of calling it a disease- you dont have a choice in a disease.
You dont try a sickness out and then get addicted to it.

Theres too much choice involved in creating an addiction and also in breaking an addiction. I KNOW it is incredibly difficult to break an addiction but its always %100 possible. Depending on how deep in you've fallen you may or may not need outside help.
that doesnt make it a disease though.

Im willing to believe its possible some people are more predispositioned than others but as far as I know there's no documentation of that theory.
I have to agree with this.
December 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
^^The links I provided would probably be interesting to you then, Eowyn.

Addction is something that involves compulsion and lack of self control. It isn't about liking something or thinking it is fun and spending a lot of time doing it. Just sayin'

December 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
^^The links I provided would probably be interesting to you then, Eowyn.

Addction is something that involves compulsion and lack of self control. It isn't about liking something or thinking it is fun and spending a lot of time doing it. Just sayin'

I understand. I havent had dangerous addictions personally, but I've been brutally close to those who've struggled through the experience and I don't hold my opinions lightly. but you dont just wake up addicted to something for some random reason-its a process and usually that process is a series of choices made by that individual (I realize there are extreme cases outside this norm from abuse/accidental medical overdosing etc)
Which is why I said, depending on how deep you've 'fallen' into an addiction-you may need outside help. At some point if you keep going too far-your brain takes over in a way you can't control on your own-but if YOU brought yourself to that point then its still a result of your choices made. And then at that point you need outside help to successfully 'beat it'.
December 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
I understand. I havent had dangerous addictions personally, but I've been brutally close to those who've struggled through the experience and I don't hold my opinions lightly. but you dont just wake up addicted to something for some random reason-its a process and usually that process is a series of choices made by that individual (I realize there are extreme cases outside this norm from abuse/accidental medical overdosing etc)
Which is why I said, depending on how deep you've 'fallen' into an addiction-you may need outside help. At some point if you keep going too far-your brain takes over in a way you can't control on your own-but if YOU brought yourself to that point then its still a result of your choices made. And then at that point you need outside help to successfully 'beat it'.
I am not arguing that. I was responding more to "I'm willing to believe its possible some people are more predispositioned than others but as far as I know there's no documentation of that theory."

I was thinking that some are predisposed to obsessive behaviors. So I thought the articles might be interesting to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search