Snow

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you shovel snow? Do you hire someone? Do you think it's the man's job?
December 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I live in Florida.

But when I lived in Ohio, as a kid, it was definitely the kids' job to shovel the snow. Then again, I lived with my grandmother, and she couldn't shovel the snow even if she wanted to. If it got bad enough that us weakling kids couldn't do it, she called my uncle who brought over some friends and cleared the driveway for us.

I don't think it's a man's job, and if my kids ever live where it snows, I will probably make them shovel it, especially since jumping in the giant pile once it's all shoveled up is so much fun. I would also shovel it myself, assuming I wasn't ridiculously pregnant or otherwise incapable.

Mowing the lawn in the summer, however, is a man's job. Mostly I'm just afraid of lawn mowers because my mother told me way too many times that I was going to cut off a limb.
December 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The job doesn't fall to either me or my husband; just whomever can get to it more conveniently.

Last year it was my husband though. I did it a couple times, until I slipped and fell on the ice. I was pregnant so I handed off the duty! But I enjoy it so I'll be doing it this year. Most likely tonight and/or tomorrow!
December 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in Maine. Its almost everyones job in the winter here

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only job that is a mans job in my house is sorting through socks to find matches. Everything else I am perfectly capable of doing. We hire someone to plow the snow
December 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
When I'm not pregnant, I take care of the snow and I always mow the lawn - pregnant or not! I can snow blow, but I am mostly scared of slipping on ice so I don't do it.

December 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
lilflower
I used to live in Ohio and whoever wanted to go out got the fun of shoveling.
December 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I physically cannot shovel snow so it automatically falls on Chris. When he isn't here a friend from the squadron helps me out.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
The apartment complex handles snow removal BUT when I lived at home I was in charge of snow removal and lawn mowing.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
December 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I usually am in charge of the lawnmowing here too. But as our riding mower was broken this year, dh and I took turns with the push mower. Yuck!

I think I'll be shoveling tomorrow and it might be the kids first snow day

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also shovel snow, did a little his morning with my 4 year old who LOVES to shovel. I hope that continues when he's 14. I wouldn't tell my husband it's his job just like I wouldn't want him to tell him XYZ is my job.
December 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
irishxrose
Our townhome complex handles all snow removal, so we don't have to do it for most storms. We will shovel our closed-in porch and in front of the garage, if the snow gets really bad. Jason has helped out a few neighbors who got snowed in before, during our blizzards and the plows hadn't come by yet. It really depends, but I'm not against doing it. It's just usually we don't have to unless it's a really bad storm.
December 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Both of us have taken care of it. DH does it more often than I do but I don't have a problem with doing it.

December 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't shovel, I have 4 wheel drive

When there's so much we HAVE to shovel, we both do it. DH does usually clean my truck off for me so that it's quicker getting out in the morning with dd.

December 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
chlodoll
DH usually does it but I don't mind if I must. Last year was really bad!! We need to clean out the garage so we can park our cars off the driveway~!
December 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I live in Florida.
ditto. what's snow?

December 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
ditto. what's snow?

December 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I'm with the Floridians. HAHA! What is snow?

Seriously, my city shuts down if 2 inches falls. It is a HUGE deal.

December 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
And now we have sleet....gosh I hate winter
December 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Veteran
I pay two 12 year olds on my block to do it. They also mow the lawn.

I don't mind doing it, but I don't have time and neither does DW. Plus it gives some neighborhood kids a little spending money for christmas.

Oh, and it's not a man's job. They're both girls! It was funny they came up to our door last year and said "We're starting a bussiness, in the fall we'll rake your leaves, in the winter we'll shovel your snow, and we'll mow your lawn too. Each service costs $25 for each of us each. If it takes more then one day, you only have to give us each $5 extra, but if we finish the task that day and you need us a second time, you'll have to pay the $25 fee again. Are you intreasted?", I asked them why they didn't babysit and they said "Ever 12 year old in the free world who has ever read the babysitters club books babysists. This was a smarter business venture". I have a theory about the two of them eventually being put in charge of running the world, ya know, before prom. They even have business cards! Real business cards. And a business website! If I ever open my own tattoo shop, I'm hiring them to be my business managers.

Yeah, yeah, tagent. It's how I roll.
Gerard 3 12/08 and baby Daria 05/11
And expecting baby number 5 this fall!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search