Flowers in the Attic... Butterfly Suicide.

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
flowers in the attic

Debate this. Tell me what you think this represents and how you feel about it. Good bad and Ugly.

I was contemplating getting this tattooed.

February 4th, 2010, 03:27 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I think I would just buy the tshirt. I am probably not the best person to respond because I am picky about what I would want on my body for the rest of my life.

Also, I think the gun to the head is just too violent looking for my taste. It brings too many images that are negative into my mind, and all the butterflies don't erase that for me. I would also wonder how to explain that to my child. I think they would lose the symbolism and be disturbed by a woman holding a gun to her head and what appears to be blood shooting out of it.

So yeah, it is edgy and it looks kinda cool on the shirt, but I would leave it there.

February 4th, 2010, 05:28 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I first read the title, I instantly thought the book!

I think that image is very disturbing. I wouldn't get it tattooed. Shirt, fine. But honestly, I wouldn't want my kids to see me in a shirt like that. The message seems to be that suicide is a good thing. I find it very disturbing. It is a cool design, but again, too disturbing.

February 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
I like it, would I get it tattooed? Ask me after I have gotten the ones on my list done first (Tanja's name and footprints, wings with a fairy on the edge)

February 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
What's the message behind the tattoo to you?

I don't think I'd get something like that on my body, and I'm pretty liberal and I like interpretive stuff. It's cool art, but too violent for me, and like Jillian said, I doubt kids would pick up on the symbolism (which I'm not even sure what the symbolism is myself, and I'm 25).
February 4th, 2010, 06:04 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's certainly thought provoking. But a little too violent for my taste, at the same time.

February 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I find it somewhat disturbing, honestly. The idea of glorifying suicide doesn't really appeal to me.
February 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't. I don't think suicide needs to be taken lightly. There is nothing butterfly-ish about suicide.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 4th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I find it disturbing as well.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 4th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I wouldn't. I don't think suicide needs to be taken lightly. There is nothing butterfly-ish about suicide.
This.

February 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
No way, and I've got tattoos and am very liberal. But that sends the absolute wrong message to me and there's no way I'd want my kids to see something glorifying and prettying up suicide tattooed on their mama's body. Not to mention violent and scary.

What, exactly, will you tell your daughter when she asks about it?

February 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Agreed.
February 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Quote:

This, absolutely.

My best friend put a gun to his head & pulled the trigger when I was 13, it's not something a person ever forgets.

The shirt is disgusting enough, but I have nothing polite in any way to say to those of you who want to get it stencilled on your body; in fact, what I am thinking about those people right now would get me banned if I put it in text.

Don't bother explaining for my benefit either, cause I really don't give a ****.

February 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's creepy.
February 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From a graphic art standpoint, I think it is interesting and a great use of space and color. Symbolically, I could do with a little less blood.
As a tattoo, I guess the question is, what does it mean to you? I am a big believer in if you are going to get a tattoo that is going to be on your body forever, it better mean something significant.
I would take into consideration the fact that the average person is going to react like most people in this thread so when you go to get a job, or meet a new person, or whatever, they are going to judge you on this tattoo. Just something to contemplate if it is in a visible space...
February 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yes, this.

I found it thought provoking in "how does it represent suicide to a person who's really struggling and feels trapped" kind of way.... but I could never actually wear this shirt let alone put it on my body. I think that if this is how someone is viewing suicide (as a beautiful release) then they need to be speaking to a councillor.

February 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why would you want this permanently on your body?! I think it's horrific, and tries to shed a beautiful, innocent light on suicide. Suicide is neither beautiful nor innocent. Seriously, why do you want this on your body? I can't imagine even wanting the t-shirt!
February 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Artistically interesting, but disturbing and I wouldn't want it on my body as a shirt or tattoo.

February 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mmmmmmmm... no. Not my style. I wouldn't wear the shirt either, too insensitive to people who have lost a loved one that way or to survivors of suicide.

Artistically pleasing to the eye, but otherwise a messege I don't want to represent.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search