Another "What's ok during pregnancy" debate

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Did you sleep on your side, as recommended, during pregnancy?
Yes, religiously 11 40.74%
Sometimes 8 29.63%
No 4 14.81%
I slept that way before I was pregnant 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Veteran
I usually sleep on my back and switching to my side was so hard. I didn't get a good night's sleep the whole pregnancy. I absolutely hated it.
June 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have much choice anymore - back is uncomfortable, stomach is impossible....

BUT, I can't always lay on my left side, which is what is recommended. I'm a violent sleeper by nature - always have been. I move a lot, constantly, so I alternate sides.

Sleep does not come easily this pregnancy

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
chlodoll
i am a tummy sleeper, i got no sleep when i was pregnant! i hate side sleeping and i cant do back sleeping period.
June 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
for the most part I was on my side, but occasionally I'd wake up on my back. During the last trimester I totally paid for it if I woke up on my back cuz the weight just killed my back!
June 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I sleep on my side. Sometimes I wake on my back. When I do I am in pain. There were times I tried to swtich sides and I would get pains in my hip that almost have me screaming.
June 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't lay on my left side, its very uncomfortable, and I can't fall asleep that way. But I try too. I'm generally a tummy sleeper - and otherwise "violent" sleeper. I toss and turn all night, and still do, just now its even more painful. The most comfortable way to lay is on my right side or back.
June 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had severe pelvic pain when I laid on my side. So I slept either half propped up or in a modified side/stomach position.

June 20th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got really lucky in this sense because I've always been a side sleeper so I didn't have to change any sleeping habits. I do know how hard it can be to try and sleep in a position that you aren't comfortable in and I really feel for you gals!
Amanda
June 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
i am a tummy sleeper, i got no sleep when i was pregnant! i hate side sleeping and i cant do back sleeping period.[/b]

June 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted religiously but it wasnt really relgiously but it was more than sometimes. it was mostly.

I slept on my side after 16 weeks. Before that my belly was so small I hadnt even noticed a difference. I hated sleeping on my side, I love my tummy, but tummy was no longer feasible. I slept on my back until it started to make me nauseas and then no more back. I used one of those big ole preggo pillows though, those things are awesome!

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't sleep on my left. I broke my left rib a few years back and whenever I get pregnant it ends up refracturing and is terribly painful so I can't lay on that side. I try to sleep on my right side but I'll wake up on my back.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
I always sleep on my side anyway, so being pregnant didnt have much of an affect on how I slept (except that I woke up more often to go tinkle!).
June 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was always a back sleeper till I was pregnant. Then, out of paranoia, I slept on my left side, usually with a body pillow. Now I can't sleep any other way, weird.

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was a tummy sleeper but that is now impossible. I generally fall asleep on my side (left or right) but often wake up on my back. If I'm having a really bad night then sometimes the most comfortable way for me to fall asleep in on my back, so that's what I do. I know I'm going to wake up again in about an hour and a half when I do (heck I wake up every 90 odd min all night everynight regardless of how I sleep) and then I'll often move onto my side.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Veteran
Tip from when I was preggo-- I put a pillow under my belly to help support it and put another one between my legs. It really made side sleeping a heck of a lot better for me.
June 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I can't sleep on my left. I broke my left rib a few years back and whenever I get pregnant it ends up refracturing and is terribly painful so I can't lay on that side. I try to sleep on my right side but I'll wake up on my back.[/b]

All I have to say is ouch! I fractured 3 ribs back in 99 and I know how painful that is.
June 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Super Mommy
I slept on my stomach until that got uncomfy, then moved to halfway sleeping on my stomach. Then it became impossible altogether so I slept on my sides and back because it never bothered me. Over the past 3-4 weeks I haven't been able to sleep/lay on my back at all as I simply cannot breathe and it causes me pain. I'm stuck with laying on my left (ew...) and right sides for the moment. It's terribly hard to roll back and forth though at night as I'm getting signs (...pfft..signs my BUTT) of SPD.
June 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Sleeping on your left side will increase the amount of blood and nutrients that reach the placenta and your baby.

Sleeping on your back: This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is a result of your abdomen resting on your intestines and major blood vessels (the aorta and vena cava)[/b]
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy...gpositions.html

It might wake you up if the vein is totally cut off, but just a little bit of suppression would prevent as many nutrients from reaching the baby. Why do they recommend that to all pregnant women if our bodies would wake us up?

It took me a while to learn to sleep on my side, and sure didn't sleep well in the beginning. Pregnancy sleep is not good anyways, regardless of how you sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search