Children and grocery stores

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I just got back from the grocery store and it made me think to post this topic. I absolutely hate it when I'm grocery shopping and there are kids running in and out of the isles at grocery stores. My parents would never have tolerated this behavior from me as a child and it really angers me that people let their children behave in this manner. Now I understand that it is hard as a mother to tend to an active child and get groceries at the same time, but I just feel that these people aren't discipling their children. Most of the time when their child runs in front of someone the parent doesn't apologize or say anything to their child. How do all of you feel about the situation?
Amanda
June 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think because of the crime rates today, tht parents need to keep their kids beside them at all times in public places like that where it's easy to disappear with a child....

I also think as a common curteousy they should keep them beside them and under control as well..

Just my opinion.
June 20th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh Cari thanks for bringing that point up too. I can't even tell you how many young children I see running around with no parents in sight.
Amanda
June 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
People do let their kids act like animals in the grocery store. I try to keep at least one of mine (DS) in the cart to cut down on the mayhem, and keep DD right by the cart or busy fetching things for me.

Last time I went to the grocery store there was a woman there with three kids--aged about 2, 4 and 6. Both the mother and the 6 year old (boy) were pushing shopping carts. The boy was running into everything--display items, me and DD, other shoppers, everything in sight. The mother was also running over everything because she was turned around coaching her son while pushing her own cart. That really got on my nerves, because of course we met them on several aisles before we finally got away from them. She should have taken one cart at a time--gotten non-perishables first, then parked the cart at the front, and gotten everything else. Sheesh!

June 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I havent actually had a problem with this. But when I was a kid my mom made me hold onto her belt all the time everywhere we went. I guess it was a good way to keep us next to her but I think she did it till we were pretty old, not sure, maybe 9 and I sure did feel silly.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
It's almost comical that I came on to this post tonight. I was in the grocery store earlier this evening with my two daughters. My oldest daughter (who will be 10 in 2 months) rarely gives me any problems in the stores. However, my youngest, who is almost 9 and is ADHD (and unmedicated over the summer break), gives me fits. I was lecturing my youngest daughter in the store on her behavior, and had to reprimand her several times throughout the store before we finally made it through the checkout. As we were loading things into the car, a woman actually had the audacity to come up to me and lecture me on how I was disciplining my daughter while in the store. Apparently, she feels it is inappropriate to discipline a child in public. In her words, I "should have had the wits about me to at least take her into the restroom before reprimanding her, and publically embarassing her. Poor child was probably traumatized by the whole ordeal." Now, keep in mind, I didn't spank her, didn't pop her leg, and didn't in fact lay a hand on her in any way. I simply reminded her that her behavior was unacceptable for *these* reasons, and if it continued any further, she would be punished when we got home.
I, personally, found it quite amusing that someone would have the nerve to even say anything to another person about that, especially since nothing I did or said was that bad. I just told the woman when she took custody of my child and had to raise her on a daily basis, then she could offer her input on how she was disciplined. Until that day comes, she needed to butt out and mind her own business.
June 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow! That woman has b*lls . We have a play place, it's called at our grocery store. It's really great. I get a pager and the kids get wrist bands, as do I. The door has an alarm on it that the girls have to turn off before anyone goes in or out so it would be impossible for someone to get in and take a kid. We've been using it for 4 years, the same girls are still there and the kids love it. They have a ball crawl, those climbing nets, video games, all kinds of stuff.

I mostly try to go though, when they are in school or I leave one with dh. I can't stans parents who LET their kids misbehave in the store. I have left a cart of groceries and walked out because I didn't want anyone else to have to suffer my child's behavement I make sure that they say excuse me if they cut in front of someone or need to get by. Our store has those carts too, that have a little car on the front that the kids ride in so that keeps them busy. DD is 7 and she still fits

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Super Mommy
It frustrates me to no end when I'm grocery shopping and there is a woman/man with 3-4 kids and they are running around screaming, playing, acting up, getting in my way, running into me...ARG!!!! The parents just act as if nothing is wrong!!

What ticks me off the most?????? Ppl who leave their carts in the MIDDLE of the aisle.....or they have it cockeyed..or ppl who are in your way and can CLEARLY make room for you to pass by yet they just keep on doing what they are doing....OR OR...(wow I'm really worked up on this one..lol) ppl who take up the WHOLE aisle when they are walking down and they are going SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOw and they KNOW you are behind them trying to get by.

Dh says at times I can be mean (when I get my b*%#$y look on my face) ...I call it making a statement that I'm NOT happy LOL!!
June 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we should have a debate about shopping carts. A couple weeks ago I was in the store parking lot and a woman left hers on the curb and this guy started screaming at her for it. It never occured to me how much venom shopping carts could bring out.
June 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OOO our Fred meyer has a daycare. IT'S SOOOO NICE!!!! I wish more grocery/department stores had them.
Josie

June 21st, 2006, 06:32 AM
Sad thing is it was on our news not that long ago about two 5y/o children who were raped in a clothing store between the clothing racks while their mother shopped and they ran around playing....
June 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Sad thing is it was on our news not that long ago about two 5y/o children who were raped in a clothing store between the clothing racks while their mother shopped and they ran around playing....[/b]
Okay, judging...what a crappy mother! How could that happen and you don't know??????????? Sick

June 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Children Sexually Abused inside Store

There's a link to the article...

Easy... the children were running around and playing... mommy not paying attention... Man grabs children, goes inbetween/behind/whatever a clothes rack... and does what he does.

This should be a lesson to parents to WATCH your children in public places and keep them within arms reach/line of sight at all times.
June 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I think it would not be THAT hard to keep an eye on ONE child at all times.
But four or five? I don't know. It's not like mom has eyes in the back of her head.

June 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
wow! That woman has b*lls blink.gif . We have a play place, it's called at our grocery store. It's really great. I get a pager and the kids get wrist bands, as do I. The door has an alarm on it that the girls have to turn off before anyone goes in or out so it would be impossible for someone to get in and take a kid. We've been using it for 4 years, the same girls are still there and the kids love it. They have a ball crawl, those climbing nets, video games, all kinds of stuff.[/b]
THATS AN AWSOME IDEA!!! More places should have those

When I was little, we always had to have a hand on the cart. If we took our hand off, it had to be because mom asked us to grab something off the shelf, or some other really good reason.

It drives me crazy seeing kids run wild, in the store. Luckly though, around here, *knock on wood* parents do a good job of keeping there kids under control. I can't recall a time, where it was a serious issue.

What does bug me though is shopping carts Somebody left there cart in the only maternity parking spot, and there is a cart area in the next spot over! And the only other parking spots were all the way across the parking lot. Being due any day, walking across the parking lot, in this heat is not fun, with a cart full of food.
June 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like it when I see kids running around the store either. I make Kiera and Nick sit in the cart(no choice, unless I am wearing Kiera), and the older boys have to stay right with me(and out of the way, not blocking the aisle) at all times. If my kids do something wrong, I correct them right then and there and make them apologize(or do it myself if they can't). I have no problem keeping up with all 5 of mine, so I'm sure other people can do it to.

June 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Okay, I think it would not be THAT hard to keep an eye on ONE child at all times.
But four or five? I don't know. It's not like mom has eyes in the back of her head.[/b]
I'm sorry but if you can't keep track of ALL of your kids, you shouldn't be out with them.

June 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It's almost comical that I came on to this post tonight. I was in the grocery store earlier this evening with my two daughters. My oldest daughter (who will be 10 in 2 months) rarely gives me any problems in the stores. However, my youngest, who is almost 9 and is ADHD (and unmedicated over the summer break), gives me fits. I was lecturing my youngest daughter in the store on her behavior, and had to reprimand her several times throughout the store before we finally made it through the checkout. As we were loading things into the car, a woman actually had the audacity to come up to me and lecture me on how I was disciplining my daughter while in the store. Apparently, she feels it is inappropriate to discipline a child in public. In her words, I "should have had the wits about me to at least take her into the restroom before reprimanding her, and publically embarassing her. Poor child was probably traumatized by the whole ordeal." Now, keep in mind, I didn't spank her, didn't pop her leg, and didn't in fact lay a hand on her in any way. I simply reminded her that her behavior was unacceptable for *these* reasons, and if it continued any further, she would be punished when we got home.
I, personally, found it quite amusing that someone would have the nerve to even say anything to another person about that, especially since nothing I did or said was that bad. I just told the woman when she took custody of my child and had to raise her on a daily basis, then she could offer her input on how she was disciplined. Until that day comes, she needed to butt out and mind her own business.[/b]
Wow, I can't believe she said anything to you! You were a lot nicer than I would have been, lol.

I think it's very important to discipline right then! Don't let them think they are getting away with murder until they get home. If they don't want to be embarrassed then they better behave. My kids don't even try to test me in the store because they know I will correct them immediately.

June 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
CJMOM209
I don't like to see kids running around either. Although, sometimes Caleb gets away from me at the grocery store and I have to chase him down. I hope that nobody is judging me saying what a bad mom, she can't control her child.
June 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Super Mommy
I think they are geared more towards the kids that are running around and the parents don't even bat an eye. In your case, you WOULD be doing something about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search