Your tax dollars at work (US)

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected]com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
http://www.nationalpriorities.org/taxday06sources

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of the money you pay in taxes does NOT go to social services or welfare checks. It goes to the military. Something like $500 billion goes to the military. And $17 billion goes to TANF (Temporary assistance to needy families).

Just wanted to make you aware of that.

Education gets around $76 billion. Job training programs get around $6 billion.

This link is even better, it shows a pie chart breakdown. http://www.nationalpriorities.org/index.ph...d=37&Itemid=110

Basically, let's say you pay $100 a month in taxes.

Of that, $4 goes to education AND social services, combined.

$12 goes to medicare.

$20 to the military

$22 to social security

etc.

If you pay $1000 a month in taxes, then multiply those numbers by ten and you get: $200 supporting the military, $220 social security, $120 medicare, $40 social services and education.

June 21st, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ashes78
I'm glad you posted that. If taxes are being taken out of our checks anyway, I don't see why some people are in such a huff about where it is all going.
June 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Veteran
Because maybe our taxes wouldn't be as high if there weren't people out there taking advantage of the system. I am ALL FOR helping those in need. But I don't want money that I worked hard for going to some lazy person who just wants a free ride though life.
June 21st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Because maybe our taxes wouldn't be as high if there weren't people out there taking advantage of the system. I am ALL FOR helping those in need. But I don't want money that I worked hard for going to some lazy person who just wants a free ride though life.[/b]
Did you read what I posted?
If you pay $1000 in taxes, $40 of it goes to welfare AND education combined.

$40. Not a lot of money.

Your taxes are not high because of money the government spends on welfare/aid to needy families. Your taxes are high because of the money the government spends on the military and social security. That is what most of the tax money goes to.

If the ONLY thing your taxes paid for was welfare and aid to needy families, you'd pay 4% of what you are CURRENTLY paying.

If your taxes paid for everything they currently pay for EXCEPT social welfare programs and aid to needy families, then they would be 4% lower, that's all. Not a big difference.

June 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate to tell you that even if people stop taking advantage of the system taxes will not be lowered. They will just go somwhere else. Probably to the military

June 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What I am trying to say is.........the VAST majority of your tax dollar (96 cents out of every dollar, to be exact) goes somewhere ELSE, and not to welfare.

So even if they got RID of welfare completely, it would not save you much money. Say your family makes $25,000a year. 15% of that goes to taxes. That's $3750 a year in taxes, total. Of that, $150 a year went to pay for welfare.

June 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Because maybe our taxes wouldn't be as high if there weren't people out there taking advantage of the system. I am ALL FOR helping those in need. But I don't want money that I worked hard for going to some lazy person who just wants a free ride though life.[/b]
DITTO

Along with that, even if its only a small percentage going towards those programs [welfare/education], the government takes that money, and earns interest on it - in turn making more money. Which is why come tax time, DH and I would rather owe money then get a refund.
June 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow did you anyone read what she wrote?!?!?!?!
June 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I just don't see why someone would be that resentful of that little piddling sum of money.

Unless your family income is over $100,000 a year, you are only contributing a few hundred dollars a year (if that) to welfare. Big deal.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the THOUSANDS of dollars a year that we all contribute to the military.

Even those of us that don't support the war seem okay with that money getting spent (after all, military members have to get their paychecks too, whether we are at war or not).

June 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't personally feel that a lot of the people getting government assistance are getting a "free ride. And like the post showed, not that much is really being taken away from your precious paycheck to go to government assistance.
Amanda
June 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Quote:
I don't personally feel that a lot of the people getting government assistance are getting a "free ride. And like the post showed, not that much is really being taken away from your precious paycheck to go to government assistance[/b]
Ditto.
June 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
If you really want to know where your tax dollars are going, start with your state representatives:
Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Without much fanfare, the House of Representatives last week voted to give members of Congress yet another pay raise, as it has done almost every year for nearly a decade.

For some reason, our elected officials decided against holding a news conference. Maybe that's because they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they raise their own salaries almost every year while refusing to raise the pay of our lowest-paid workers.

Corporate America, the Bush administration and the national economic orthodoxy with which they're in league have consistently argued against helping working men and women at the lowest end of the wage scale by raising the minimum wage. Big business groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce say it will harm the economy and eliminate jobs. As is so frequent with the faith-based economics that grips both political parties in Washington, such concerns have absolutely nothing to do with reality.

For example, it's impossible to deny the national minimum wage of $5.15 is not enough for a family to live above the poverty line. The annual salary for workers earning the national minimum wage still leaves a family of three about $6,000 short of the poverty threshold.

Raising the minimum wage to $7.50 would positively affect the lives of more than 8 million workers, including an estimated 760,000 single mothers and 1.8 million parents with children under 18. But even this 46 percent increase would get them only to the poverty line. Don't you think these families just might need that cost-of-living increase a bit more than our elected officials who are paid nearly $170,000 a year?

With no Congressional action on raising the minimum wage since 1997, inflation has eroded wages. The minimum wage in the 21st century is $2 lower in real dollars than it was four decades ago and now stands at its lowest level since 1955, according to the Economic Policy Institute and Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Also, since the last time Congress increased the minimum wage for our lowest-paid workers, buying power has fallen by 25 percent. Yet over that time our elected representatives have given themselves eight pay raises totaling more than 23 percent.

Raising the minimum wage isn't simply about the price of labor. It's also about our respect for labor. One of this country's greatest business innovators, Henry Ford, made history almost a century ago by raising the salaries of his production-line workers far beyond the prevailing wage. Ford not only paid his employees well enough to buy the products they built, but he kept his employees loyal and productive. That's also very good business.

The myth that raising the minimum wage will lead to job cuts is just that: a myth. In fact, research suggests just the opposite. According to the Fiscal Policy Institute, since 1998, states with higher minimum wages experienced better job growth than states paying only the federal minimum wage. Among small retail businesses in those higher minimum-wage states, job growth was double the rest of the country.

The House Appropriations Committee has passed a $2.10 increase as part of a spending bill, but the business lobby pressured the House leadership to hold up the measure.

"I think it's disgraceful that we waited nine years to do this," says Rep. David Obey, a Democrat from Wisconsin. "We have seen gas prices go up by 140 percent since the minimum wage was increased. We have seen home heating oil go up by 120 percent. We have seen health care go up by almost 45 percent."

This administration, our Republican-led Congress and the dominant corporate interests in this country want cheap labor. And to achieve that goal they're outsourcing middle-class jobs, importing illegal labor and cutting retirement and health-care benefits.

It's time for the federal government to reverse the trend, to at least substantially raise the minimum wage in this country, and by doing so express how much we value all working Americans.[/b]
SOURCE
June 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting article.
I definately agree the minimum wage should be higher, someone cannot survive on the current minimum wage.

But I wonder if that wouldn't put a lot of small companies out of business if it was?

Or, if the minimum wage was raised, would companies simply start charging more money for their goods and services? Because if they did, that would sort of negate the effects of raising it.

June 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Veteran
I don't care if I pay a penny annually towards welfare--if it's not being used the right way, I don't want to pay it.

It doesn't matter how small the amount is. That's ridiculous. If a homeless person came up to you and asked for a dollar to buy alcohol, would you give it to him? If he asked you to buy him a sandwich, then would you? I certainly wouldn't give him money to buy alcohol, but if it were something he truly needed, like food, I'd help.

As I said before, I am 100% FOR welfare---for people who need it. But no, I do not want a single cent of my money going to people who are going to sit at home and get a free ride. And yes-there are lots of people who do that.
June 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Have you ever been on wwelfare? I have and it is not a free ride. Unless you are doing something illegal on the side there is NO WAY to survive on it. In the city I lived in with 3 kids I reieved $646 a month plus food stamps. I couldn't even get a one bedroom apartment for less than $550. I applied for section 8 and public housing and I am still on the waiting list alomst 3 years later!
Thankfully my husband was able to pull his crap together and we have a place to live now. If he hadn't it wouldn't have been long before I was evicted and homeless with three kids.
The only people who think that welfare is a free ride is the ones who haven't been there.
How do you think it should be used?
June 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Veteran
I have been on WIC, but only for a few months when I was pregnant when I truly needed it.

The people who get a free ride are the ones who don't need the money, but get it anyways(i.e. live with their boyfriend who works but welfare doesn't know, etc). Like I said, if someone truly needs it, I am 100% for it. I don't like people taking advantage of the system.

What about FEMA? After Hurricane Katrina, many people took advantage of FEMA and got money they weren't supposed to. I got money from FEMA, but it was directly related to damages we recieved during the storm. Do you 'not care' about this either? I mean, some of your tax dollars are going to be going to the Dept of Homeland Security regardless, so why do you care who uses it? That's what some of you said regarding welfare.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13310790/

And, to answer your question, I think welfare should be used to help those who genuinely need it. Not those who are out driving nice cars and have income not reported to welfare.
June 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Many people who commit welfare fraud are caught, and prosecuted.

Can you prove that most of the people who use it don't need it? No. So, why assume they don't need it?

I am sure there are some people out there abusing the system but the vast majority are not.

Even someone who lives with a boyfriend and collects food stamps, so? Her boyfriend could leave, and she'd need them to feed her family. Relationships come and go.

As far as nice cars go, I am pretty sure they ASK what kind of car you drive beforehand. I know I applied for something once and was turned down because my car was above their cutoff in value. Could it be that they are driving someone else's car?

But I do agree that if someone is on welfare/food stamps, if there are things they or their SO could stop buying (non-necessities like nails, new purses, etc) and cutting those things would be enough to get them off of it, then they SHOULD stop buying those things and get off of it, to free up the money for someone else who needs it.

June 22nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with SCgirl. I know at all the government assistance places here they are very thorough about all of your income and your expenses. When I applied for WIC they made me get a written letter from my mom and my fiance's mom about how much money they send us each month and proof of that sent money. My fiance and I have our own vehicles, but they were both paid for by our parents and they are both used. We live paycheck to paycheck so if I can qualify for a little bit of assistance I'm not going to feel guilty using it just because I have my own car. Most of the people that are on government assistance programs aren't abusing the system. My fiance's pays his fair share of taxes and I put in quite a bit from the time I was 16 until now. I never once sat there and questioned why I had to have taxes taken out to support government programs. I guess I was just raised a little better then that.
Amanda
June 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Can you prove that most of the people who use it don't need it? No. So, why assume they don't need it?[/b]
I don't think most are. I think a lot are though. I'm not assuming people don't need it. I know for a fact that there are a lot of people who just get on welfare instead of getting off their coach and getting a job.

Quote:
Even someone who lives with a boyfriend and collects food stamps, so? Her boyfriend could leave, and she'd need them to feed her family. Relationships come and go.[/b]
Aren't you supposed to report all household income? If you are, then that is illegal. They could get a job and then they wouldn't have to rely so heavily on that boyfriend(unless there are medical reasons or something).

Quote:
As far as nice cars go, I am pretty sure they ASK what kind of car you drive beforehand. I know I applied for something once and was turned down because my car was above their cutoff in value. Could it be that they are driving someone else's car?[/b]
I couldn't tell you how that works, but I've known people who owned a car way more expensive than what they needed. I'm just saying, don't go out and buy a 2006 Escalade when a small car would do the job and then ask for assistance from the government.
June 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
don't go out and buy a 2006 Escalade when a small car would do the job and then ask for assistance from the government.[/b]
how many people do you think actually do this?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search