If instead of paying taxes you could donate that money

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If instead of paying taxes, you could donate the exact same amount of money, to the charity (or more than one) of your choice, which one/s would you pick?

I would probably donate it to animal rescues and free daycare centers for college students.

June 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Wendy's Avatar Super Mommy
I would give mine to cancer research.

June 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably donate it to my church so most of it could be used in my local community. Our church runs a food pantry one day a week, gives parenting classes and does lots of other charitable works both locally and overseas. It's a small church but really does a lot.

June 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably give more to the organizations we already give to..

Crisis Pregnancy center
NABA (National alliance for breastfeeding advocacy)
UNICEF

If we got the money to donate ourselves, I'd probably donate some to a few of the larger children's homes in Ecuador as well.
June 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oh goodness.... this is tough lol. Ill igive ya my top 4

humane society

hospitals (very lacking when it comes to the gov;t giving them money)

kids on the streets (i would say 3rd world countries, but I think that ppl should be more concerned about our own poverty that has become a huge issue in past years)

food banks and community shelters. (this may be a part of the above so i'll add another)

Cancer research and AIDS research
June 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Lovey2903's Avatar Veteran
there are so many worthy causes! But I'd have to say I'd take my money and put it towards education on responsible dog ownership and donate it to shelters so that they have the capacity to be no kill... being no kill takes a lot of money that most shelters cannot raise in their communities.
June 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably donate most of it to free daycare for moms. Nowadays, it's so hard to live on just one paycheck, but childcare is so expensive that it's also hard for mom to work because her paycheck is basically going to daycare.
Amanda
June 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ooo thats a good one. Tho if these daycare ppl arent bein paid they arent gong to liek thier jobs
June 22nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oh thats a great one too!
June 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
UNICEF
Allie's angels (http://www.scotthousehold.com/alliestory.htm )
LLLI
June 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
kadydid
Doctors without borders and UNICEF. I would put the rest into the poor and needy that live in my own area.
June 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are so many worthy causes and issues I believe in, especially those related to feminism, pregnancy, and birth. But I'd have to say that right now, the causes I feel most passionately about are breastfeeding advocacy and intactivism, so I would donate the money to organizations that focus on those issues.

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
June 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with a lot of those already listed. I would put it more towards things like homeless shelters, especially women and children and families, to help them get jobs and get back on their feet. I think that things like the free daycare could go along with this. Medical research would be important too. Since this is a debate, I just want to say that while I think that animals are important, I would put money towards people first. And as far as intactivism, While it may be important to some, I think money is better spent feeding and clothing the needy, rather than talking about circumcision. JMHO.

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I agree with a lot of those already listed. I would put it more towards things like homeless shelters, especially women and children and families, to help them get jobs and get back on their feet. I think that things like the free daycare could go along with this. Medical research would be important too. Since this is a debate, I just want to say that while I think that animals are important, I would put money towards people first. And as far as intactivism, While it may be important to some, I think money is better spent feeding and clothing the needy, rather than talking about circumcision. JMHO.[/b]
Since I'm the one who said the issues I was currently most passionate about were breastfeeding and intactivism...I just wanted to say that organizations that advocate genital integrity as a basic human right for all male and female children aren't just 'talking', they're actively educating medical professionals, parents, the general public, and politicians as well as drafting legislation. Right now, organizations like NoCirc are very grassroots and underfunded, and if there was a means I'd love to see that change. I think if all of our taxes could be distributed as we the individuals see fit, I think there would probably be plenty to go around.

Right now, those of us that donate to non-profit/charity organizations probably give to the issues that have touched us personally in some way and are important to us. IMO, the whole question of where we'd donate taxes if we could distribute our own as we wish is a very Fantasyland hypothetical, so each to their own.

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
June 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
mrobinson
If you guys aren't paying any taxes.. I would bet after Sept. 11, or any emergency we'd HAVE to donate to the police, fire, ems, military, water, sewer systems and garbage removal ~ unless you're that self-sufficent? With no taxes who would pay politicians? The institutions for the ems, fire, etc.? Can you have a voluntary sewer system program like fire?
June 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
it was a hypothetical question. Thats a good question to bring up, though I think theyre more thinking about if all that was covered, what woudl you give it too. Everything in place now except us paying anything...
June 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
it was a hypothetical question.[/b]
Why couldn't it be possible to have more voluntary public services?
June 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with a lot of those already listed. I would put it more towards things like homeless shelters, especially women and children and families, to help them get jobs and get back on their feet. I think that things like the free daycare could go along with this. Medical research would be important too. Since this is a debate, I just want to say that while I think that animals are important, I would put money towards people first. And as far as intactivism, While it may be important to some, I think money is better spent feeding and clothing the needy, rather than talking about circumcision. JMHO.[/b]
Since I'm the one who said the issues I was currently most passionate about were breastfeeding and intactivism...I just wanted to say that organizations that advocate genital integrity as a basic human right for all male and female children aren't just 'talking', they're actively educating medical professionals, parents, the general public, and politicians as well as drafting legislation. Right now, organizations like NoCirc are very grassroots and underfunded, and if there was a means I'd love to see that change. I think if all of our taxes could be distributed as we the individuals see fit, I think there would probably be plenty to go around.

Right now, those of us that donate to non-profit/charity organizations probably give to the issues that have touched us personally in some way and are important to us. IMO, the whole question of where we'd donate taxes if we could distribute our own as we wish is a very Fantasyland hypothetical, so each to their own.

Jen
[/b]
I wasn't saying that they weren't important and by "talking" I was using that as a broad term for everything that these organizations do. I was simply saying that I felt money was better spent to clothe and feed the needy, rather then spending it on those who really do have their basic needs already met, kwim? If I only had to think about what was important to me, I would say cancer research and mental health awareness.

Quote:
If you guys aren't paying any taxes.. I would bet after Sept. 11, or any emergency we'd HAVE to donate to the police, fire, ems, military, water, sewer systems and garbage removal ~ unless you're that self-sufficent? With no taxes who would pay politicians? The institutions for the ems, fire, etc.? Can you have a voluntary sewer system program like fire?[/b]
All of the towns around us have volunteer fire & ambulance. We make donations, that's how they keep going. In the cities, those professions are paid for by county taxes. Michelle, you're right. Without a portion of our $$ going to these organizations, if they operated soley on donations, I'm afraid we wouldn't have them at all

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
If you guys aren't paying any taxes.. I would bet after Sept. 11, or any emergency we'd HAVE to donate to the police, fire, ems, military, water, sewer systems and garbage removal ~ unless you're that self-sufficent? With no taxes who would pay politicians? The institutions for the ems, fire, etc.? Can you have a voluntary sewer system program like fire?[/b]
All of the towns around us have volunteer fire & ambulance. We make donations, that's how they keep going. In the cities, those professions are paid for by county taxes. Michelle, you're right. Without a portion of our $$ going to these organizations, if they operated soley on donations, I'm afraid we wouldn't have them at all
[/b][/quote]

Smashley, I totally know what you're trying to say and I'm not trying to negate that at all..

There are so many countries out there having so many issues because of war, etc and they just wish they could have our issues with taxes. I know at times we think our politicans are crooks but the truth is we have a pretty good system, really.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search