What are your opinions on Children and TV

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What are your opinions on children and TV? Do you own a TV? Do you set limits? What are your reasons for doing so?

----------

People are always amazed when they realize we own no TVs. Usually they will assume we have a "holier than thou" (never heard this phrase until I came here ) reason for it and will immediately launch into speech about how they limit TV and feel its educational or whatnot (like defending themselves before I saw anything...) I always have to interrupt to tell them that the only reason we don't have one is that my husband and I don't watch TV, so it would be a huge waste of money!

Based on everyone's reactions to our situation and what I've read in parenting magazines, I thought this might make a good debate!!!
June 22nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
chlodoll
Sometimes I wish we didnt have a tv! Dh is always glued to it!

My brother and SIL have a tv in their basement, they dont have cable. just an antenna. They dont watch tv themselves but their daughter likes to watch dora and little bear so she watches those shows only. I think an hour or so for young children is fine! Some of those shows teach you stuff.
June 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally think that children watching TV is okay as long as it's monitered and as long as that's not their entire daily agenda. TV should definitely have limited time frames for children IMO. I don't think that TV is a "must have" for children however. I guarantee you there's other educational things they can do besides watching the tube.
Amanda
June 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a TV but could do without and have.

I agree with Amanda... its not so bad as long as its not all-consuming, and of course, monitored.

I was thinking about setting a time for TV viewing... like maybe 30min a day of that OR video games. My kids will paly outside, dangit... no couch potatos here!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What about infants (or 0-2) age children watching TV?
June 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never seen a kid that age sit still long enough to actually 'watch'

but I don't know.. I would lean toward no I suppose

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Round-The-Clock Baby TV Channel to Debut

Saw this a few weeks back!
June 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
irishxrose
I won't deny it... I like watching tv. I'm more for educational shows though. When Joshua just wants to lay on me ( ) and doesn't want me to move, I sit and watch the History Channel and the Discovery Channel and such.

Joshua loves Baby Einstein. He'll watch it and I can clean the house! It's not a babysitter by any means; it just helps me out, and he finds it hilarious.
June 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love watching TV myself. My DD also loves it, but DS can take it or leave it. They usually watch a couple of hours a day, but I think we have a pretty balanced life. They play outside an hour or two a day, we read at least 30 minutes to an hour a day, they help me with things around the house and/or do their "jobs", and play by themselves or together the rest of the time when we're not out of the house doing things.

I saw on Dr. Phil where a woman let her 2 year old son watch 11 hours of TV a day, every day--"Well, he really likes it and I get a lot of stuff done," she said. That's not really what motherhood is all about and that is way overboard. I think a couple of hours a day is not too bad, as long as they do a good mix of other activities too.

June 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
I feel that TV is fine as long as it's limited and of course as long as the childrens' programs are monitored.

I let my 11 month old watch The Backyardigans pretty much daily. I'd say at the maximum she may watch an hour a day. And she's been doing this since she was like 2 months old!
Some ppl may frown on that, but ya know, it makes her happy and I really honestly do NOT believe all that talk about how TV causes attention problems and blah blah blah.
I believe that anything is okay in moderation.

I think TV for older children is fine, but I think it should be very limited to no more than an hour or two a day or less. That's part of the reason why so many children are obese these days.
When my children are older, I will not let them have televisions in their rooms and I'll try to limit is as much as I can and encourage activity.

June 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH & I normally don't watch TV. We have CHEAP cable ($13 a month) because we watch it.. never.

In the mornings I let my daughter watch Dora, Backyardigans, and Blues Clues.. She loves it. And I normally get a lot of cleaning done suring that time

Tonight, however, we're watching so you think you can dance. And a movie. It's been a long, long time.
June 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Round-The-Clock Baby TV Channel to Debut

Saw this a few weeks back![/b]
I have actually subscribed to this channel! I think it is really great, and in moderation, is not a hinderance. Sam is only 5 months old so his attention span lasts for about 5- 10 min spurts a few times a day. It has different programming aimed at different age groups and different skills/lessons. The colors and the music stimulate him.

DD watches an hour or two a day, sometimes more--it just depends on if there is a movie she wants to watch. I don't agree with letting the TV babysit, but as long as the programming is monitored I don't see any harm. DD grew up with Barney (thank goodness that phase ended) and now she loves the Backyardigans, Dora, and Blues Clues, all of which at least teach something in each program.

June 22nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much agree with everything. Our kids are 7 and 8 so I really have to pay attention to what they watch, now that they know how to work Tivo Plus, the cable we have has a huge on screen menu that you can choose from and if you scroll high enough, it has the titles of the "adult" pay-per-view channels I don't need ds asking me what horny housewives 2.5 is about We have those channels locked but you can still see the titles in the guide. I would say that they watch about an hour a day and usually that's 1 hour total, either TV or computer or split between the 2. Unless they are watching a movie, then it's longer.

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Ashes78
My kids have TVs in their rooms. (well...not Xander yet..lol) We have blocks on channels that they don't need to be watching. We haven't really had to set any limits because they don't watch it that often. They would rather be jumping on the trampoline, playing badminton, basketball, riding bikes, etc. I don't watch tv much myself..just my soaps. Dh never watches tv.
June 23rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmm people might hate me for saying this but I think tv is actually good for babies/ small children's development. Just by what I have seen in my own family that is. I have a sister who has two boys,, she has never let them watch tv @ all barely thinking it is so bad and compared to all my other nieces and nephews (I have 12 alltogether) hers are soo far behind,, they talked later, spoke sentences later and everything. Then there is the other little ones who are running around speaking spanish to eachother from watching dora, I think its good for kids to watch. I let Brody watch tv all the time, of course he doesn't have that huge of an attention span but still,,,, if it ever got to the point where I needed to cut him down on his tv watching I would. He watches Dora, Go Diego Go, Backyardigans, Blue's Clue's, Sesame Street and Baby Einstein.

June 23rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would agree... my kids have learned so much from watching some shows. Baby Einstein and Muzzy are my kids favorites. Because of Muzzy.. both my daughters already know more Spanish than I do (and I took three years in school). I think I'll buy them French next.. guess it can't hurt.

June 24th, 2006, 01:15 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I think it's OK in moderation, like a few people have said. My DD (9 months old) watches maybe an hour in total throughout the day (not all at once). It lets me get stuff done, sometimes she needs to just chill out and calm down. She doesn't watch Dora or anything, actually the only show she'll really *watch* for more than 10 minutes is ER LMAO I'm trying to get her to be a doctor Once she can comprehend the show, obviously she won't be watching it, but right now I think she just likes the flashing colors!
June 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
hmm people might hate me for saying this but I think tv is actually good for babies/ small children's development. Just by what I have seen in my own family that is. I have a sister who has two boys,, she has never let them watch tv @ all barely thinking it is so bad and compared to all my other nieces and nephews (I have 12 alltogether) hers are soo far behind,, they talked later, spoke sentences later and everything. Then there is the other little ones who are running around speaking spanish to eachother from watching dora, I think its good for kids to watch. I let Brody watch tv all the time, of course he doesn't have that huge of an attention span but still,,,, if it ever got to the point where I needed to cut him down on his tv watching I would. He watches Dora, Go Diego Go, Backyardigans, Blue's Clue's, Sesame Street and Baby Einstein.[/b]

I think the educational value of TV is going to depend on the family. Our children watch no TV (since we don't own one ) but they live in a trilingual household. Our 3 yr old is speaking all three and our 17 month old (although just 2 weeks ago we were worried about her language development) has recently had an explosion and can now speak words in Spanish, English and Portuguese.

SO, I think in language development it is going to depend. In addition, even in a household that is not multilanguage, studies have shown children learn the most (and have the most brain activity) when they are being taught by a in-person human and the most brain activity comes when it is their parent teaching.

However, time is definitely a concern, especially for parents with more than one child!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search