What Do You Believe We Are Fighting For In Iraq?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you think we are fighting for in Iraq?

To spread democracy?
To fight terrorist?
Oil, and position ourselves in a position of power?
to disarm the Iraqis of weapons of mass distruction & nuclear programs?
and other reasons I'm not listing...

June 23rd, 2006, 03:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea. I dont trust Bush. I think hes in it for oil and greed. Some things will never change, and when youve grown up like that your whole life (and centries before that) Just because some american soldiers and govt come in to try and change the world, isnt going to happen. Those people will never change (some will but alot wont) Its all they know. If we dont want terrorists, stop being terrorists.
June 23rd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Veteran
Quote:
If we dont want terrorists, stop being terrorists.[/b]
I don't see how the American soldiers are terrorists? They are only killing the bad guys, in an effort to help Iraq have freedom.

Here's the definition of a terrorist from www.cia.gov
Quote:
—The term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.[/b]
Our soldiers are not committing premeditated politically motivated violence against noncombatant targets.
June 23rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
If we dont want terrorists, stop being terrorists.[/b]
I don't see how the American soldiers are terrorists? They are only killing the bad guys, in an effort to help Iraq have freedom.

Here's the definition of a terrorist from www.cia.gov
Quote:
—The term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.[/b]
Our soldiers are not committing premeditated politically motivated violence against noncombatant targets.
[/b]
I don't think she was calling our soldiers terrorists, I think she was referring to the American government. ...I believe the majority of our troops to be good men and women who are trying to protect and serve this country, but there are a few bad apples in the bunch who are acting like terrorists and murdering innocent civilains in cold blood for no good reason. That being said, I don't blame the soldiers, I blame our government for starting this ridiculous unneccesary war out of greed, trying to brainwash the country into beleiving it is for "freeing the Iraqui people and establishing democracy". Thats buls***. The real victims in this are the Iraqi civilians, and the soldiers and their families, and this war makes me sick to my stomach.
June 23rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
nono our troops are not terrorists. They are doing what they have too. I am talking about the gov't. you cant fight terrorism with terrrorism. I am def. Not trying to insult anyone. I just think the govt has better things to be thinking about and more important thigns. Ever since bush was in office I havent heard much out of him except the "fight on terrorism" A lot of ppl other than the bad got killed during fights. A lot of children and innocent ppl did as well. I think this war is dumb and you cant change ppl who dont want to change. i know some of the citizens do, but the ones who dont are gonna ruin it for all of those ppl, im sue thees more of them then not. JMO.
June 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what we are doing there.
Yeah, there were lots of human rights violations being committed by the former government, and it was a good thing to disband it.

BUT, this happens in a lot of other countries too and you don't see the US rushing over to help them. So why this one?

June 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I have no friggin idea. My DH is military and he's off to Afganistan in Feb and his Best friend is going in August. They have no idea what it is they are "fighting to protect" or w/e so that being said. I think this whole war is pointless.

June 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i AGREE. I havent really had anything to support the whole thing besides human rights. And like you said, theres other countries out there too. What about the genocide that was happenning not too long ago (or still is happeneing) what about the AIDS problem in Africa, there are tons of other things these troops should be fighting for or helping out with. This Iraqi thing pretty much cam eout of nowhere. I know sept 11th, but that would be all grand if they didnt say afghanistan and Bin laden and said Iraq and Saddam Huessan (even tho Its great hes out of power) So many american and Canadian troops have been killed, basically for no reason.
June 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ya know, we have a mass genocide in Darfur right now....almost half a million have been killed already, and 2 million have been forced out of their homes and face death from starvation and disease, and hundreds of women and children are raped, terrorized and murdered every day. This nation is being held hostage by a militia, and we aren't doing a ###### thing to stop that...
Have you even heard of Darfur? Most people havent...
We're fooling ourselves if we believe this war has anything to do with human rights or freeing ANYONE
June 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really have no clue why we are in Iraq. Seeing as it's not for Osama, so I'm confused. My husband is military and even he's not sure. he knows we are too far in to pull out right now, but he's not sure of the initial reason. I have a lot of friends of different nationalities, and the one thing they can agree on is that the US is the biggest terrorists out there. Thats the US government, not the soldiers, and I ahve to agree.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 23rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I too am basically clueless as to why we are still there. My understanding was that we were going to fight the "war on terrorism", help set up a democracy for Iraq after their elections or something, then be done with it. I haven't really heard anything about what's going on over there other then how we are losing all of these men and women.
Amanda
June 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
What do you think we are fighting for in Iraq?[/b]
Currently to clean up a mess... Why it started? A personal venetta fueled with a make-shift reason to invade.
June 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yeo, Ive heard of defur. Thats the one I am talking about.

I do agree that America is the biggest terrorist. They are the biggest bullies (we are talkking gov't) They wonder why ppl come over there and want to blow up the country, but they dont really stop and think "wow, We have been screwing witht his country for years and years, no wonder theyre pissed" Hard to explain. Watch ferenhiet 9/11. The part when it shows how many ppl they have given money too etc. Like they gave soemthingliek 3M to bin Laden etc. It just baffles me, its like they do it on purpose so they can have a reason to go in and blow them all up.
June 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ashes78
Quote:
I have no idea. I dont trust Bush. I think hes in it for oil and greed. Some things will never change, and when youve grown up like that your whole life (and centries before that) Just because some american soldiers and govt come in to try and change the world, isnt going to happen. Those people will never change (some will but alot wont) Its all they know. If we dont want terrorists, stop being terrorists.[/b]
I agree. I think it is sad that our goverment is sending men and women out to fight the war and don't even tell them why they are fighting.
June 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its just George W being daddy's pawn. Thats my two cents.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

June 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL too true!
June 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Super Mommy
Our soldiers intentions are in the right place. I love our soldiers. Our poor gov't is USING the soldiers for their own greed though It's so sad. I don't like the american gov't, but I love all the men and women who want to truly truly fight for our contry to keep it safe and make it a better place
June 23rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Veteran
Hmmm. I know why we are there now, because we can't very well back out at this point. I'm not really sure why it started--well supposedly it was WMD. Erm....but I'm still undecided whether that was really a mistake or what.
June 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The Dream: creation of a democracy in the middle east that would slowly affect the nations around it, which worked relatively well in Central America (if you compare old governments with the current ones- still very far from perfect, however).

The Reality: Poor planning and preparation makes "the dream" impossible

The Ugly Reality: The problem of Saddam should have been taken care of in the first war, when we had the Kurdish ready to go and basically just walked out on them, leaving them to be slaughtered and victims of genocide.
June 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just asked my hubby again why him and his buddies are fighting in iraq and afgan and he did this "peace keeping" in quotations and just laughed... that says it all

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search