amnio

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My dr's office now reccommends that women 30. not 35 get amnios routinely. I refused the amnio, because I personally feel that it is an unneccesary risk. One of my coworkers suffered a miscarriage as a result of an amnio, and it was horrible to see her go through it, let alone be the person suffering. Regardless of the amnio results, I was not going to terminate my pregnancy, so it was a risk we decided not to take.

Some people have said they will have an amnio because although they will not terminate, they need to know beforehand and be prepared. I guess I could understand that, but it is still a risk and there will be time once the baby is here.

I know one person who had 4 amnios (4 pregnancies) and they were SOLEY for her to know for sure if she was having a boy or a girl, she did not want to take a "chance" of the u/s being wrong. That, I feel, is RIDICULOUS. By the way, she has 4 girls...

What are your feelings on the amnio? I kinda feel like there are way too many prenatal tests and they can make a person neurotic.
June 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess if there was a history of genetic problems or something like that in the family that seems like a good reason to do it.

June 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
There are other ways to determine an elevated risk that a baby will be born with genetic disorders. In Down's Syndrome or Trisomy 21 there are markers that appear in the u/s (spots on the heart and such) as well as measurements of the legs and arms to determine physical characteristics of the disorders.

When I was pregnant with Sam my triple screen came back positive for Down's Syndrome. Sam was monitored via u/s throughout my pregnancy for these markers. I refused the amnio because I would not terminate for DS and therefore the risk of miscarriage was not worth it to me. By the time I was about 7.5 months they had determined there were no physical characteristics or markers for DS and that the possibility that Sam had it was less than 2%.

I agree, to have such an invasive procedure just to determine the sex is VERY risky and ill-advised (I am surprised doctors are willing to perform them with the risks involved and our sue-crazed society). For those who have a family history of genetic disorders and diseases, I understand the necessity.

June 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the OP, I think they are an unnecessary risk. I wouldn't terminate regardless of the outcome anyway, so I can't say I really see too much of a point. I know there are situations where it may be helpful to confirm a diagnosis, and I know that sometimes that confirmation can lead to help save the unborn childs life... I suppose my answer would be that in MOST situations (especially voluntary amnio just for sex determination, etc.) it is unnecessary and risky.

btw, this is my first post here. Hi!

<div align="center"></div>
June 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting a CVS (same idea as amnio but done earlier) because their is a history of Downs Syndrome on my ex's side of the family...And in all honestly, if my child does have the disorder, I would either put the baby up for adoption or terminate the pregnancy. Some may judge me for that, but I know realistically as a young single mom I wouldn't be able to handle having a child with Downs Syndrome, and I want to find out early enough so that I have all of my options in front of me.
Doing it just to find out the sex, though, is just ridiculous.
June 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, the doctor did not give her the amnio because she wanted to know the sex, at least that is what he thought. She cried him a river and t old him that she would not be able to calm down until she knew her baby was ok!

I understand also if there is an elevated risk, but I still would not do it because of the risk factors. I can see if someone would terminate they would do it, but how horrible if they have the amnio, nothing is wrong, and then the hole doesn't seal up and causes a miscarriage (like my coworker). I would not be able to live with myself.
June 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the triple screen testing done, but if my results would have come back positive I still would have refused the amnio. I wanted to do the triple screen to be a little more prepared in case there was something wrong, but I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy if there was. Our testing was all optional, and we weren't at risk, I just wanted it for a little piece of mind I guess. I however wouldn't take the chance with the amnio unless I had a reason.
Amanda
June 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the previous poster about those with a family history of genetic disorders being offered amnio, but routine amnios for women 30+? I wouldn't consent to that unless results from the tripple-screen or ultrasound looked abnormal.

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
June 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
chlodoll
I had an amnio because I had elevated risk for down syndrme after my AFP. I had to know. If there was something wrong with my baby I needed to be emotionally prepared and medically prepared. I would never have one if there was no real reason. Doing it to just find out the sex is ridiculous! Whats the difference?? Its not like it could be one of 8 different sexes! Its one or the other. If got another raised chance at my next pregnancy I probably wont get the amnio again unless the risk is very high. It was my first pregnancy and it was a pretty stressful one through out. I just want my next on to be smooth sailing!
June 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We chose not to have any of the optional tests because no matter the outcome, we would not terminate or give our child up simply because they have a handicap, IMHO, that's a bit selfish

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
We chose not to have any of the optional tests because no matter the outcome, we would not terminate or give our child up simply because they have a handicap, IMHO, that's a bit selfish [/b]
I agree to an extent but if there is something seriously wrong they may need special medical treatment as soon as they are born and having an amnio can help determine that. It could help save their lives.
June 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We chose not to have any of the optional tests because no matter the outcome, we would not terminate or give our child up simply because they have a handicap, IMHO, that's a bit selfish [/b]
Is it selfish if the mother knows she is not in a position, financially, emotionally or otherwise, to take care of a child with severe handicaps?
June 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
irishxrose
My doctors wanted me to get an amnio because of increased risks because of the medicine I was taking for my bi-polar disorder, but I refused it. I didn't want to take the chance. My triple screen came back normal.

Blondie - do what you feel is right for you. I can understand where you are coming from. I hope everything goes well for you.
June 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think its absolutly terrifying. The only time I could think of it making sense, is if you desperatly needed the baby out and needed to see ifthe lungs were mature enough (saw a baby story with a women who had invasive cancer and she needed to have her baby a 34 weeks, she had it done and everythng as okay... She died later, very sad )

I dont think its somethig to do if your results came back positive for one of those tests they give around 13-15 weeks. Those are filled with false positives, so why take the risk
June 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
chlodoll
I was so nervous for the actual procedure before I had it done but it was really nothing. Obviously you have to weigh the pros and cons since there is a risk of miscarriage but the actual amnio itself isnt to bad.
June 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have one. Dh & I are at risk for some problems & I don't want to wait to find out anything - I want time to prepare myself mentally & emotionally. I am not concerned over the risk of mc - it is only .5 - 1% and even then it is nearly impossible to determine which mc's were caused by the amnio & which would have occured anyway - they just know it is .5 - 1% more likely in women with amnio. My risk for mc is already 40% - that seems pretty insignificant as an additional risk. I won't change what I do as far as the pg goes if the results are bad - but I may need to decide what we need to rearrange if the baby will have problems - how to handle after-care - what to do about my job, etc - it will give me more time to plan.

I am a littel worried that some people can believe these tests will tell you everything you need to know. I have been assured that even if we got a diagnosis - the severity is often difficult if not impossible to determine with accuracy. I would never assume they could truly tell me exactly how bad it will be - but I can research & prepare for hte worst & hope for the best.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm getting a CVS (same idea as amnio but done earlier) because their is a history of Downs Syndrome on my ex's side of the family...And in all honestly, if my child does have the disorder, I would either put the baby up for adoption or terminate the pregnancy. Some may judge me for that, but I know realistically as a young single mom I wouldn't be able to handle having a child with Downs Syndrome, and I want to find out early enough so that I have all of my options in front of me.
Doing it just to find out the sex, though, is just ridiculous.[/b]

I respect your opinion.. but this really breaks my heart. My cousin is Downs and he is the most wonderful loving person I know. He has also done everything ever Dr. has said he would never do. He has finished Highschool and has a full time job. My aunt was very young when she had him.. since he has a disability the state usually pays for the most part any medical bills you may have. I know everyone is different but I wouldnt be able to give my baby away just because he or she maybe a little different. Maybe it's because I have spent so much time around handicapped people.

June 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I refused the triple screen with my pregnancy, b/c DH and I wouldn't give away the baby if it showed something was wrong, and we definately wouldn't abort b/c of religous views.

Now, my DD was born with a genetic disorder called Netherton's Syndrome. It's really rare, not anything they test for routinely (1 in 500,000 shot your kid will have it). It effects every aspect of her health - skin infections, rigorous skin care (it's primarily a skin disorder), NG tube feedings, severe failure to thrive (at 9 months old, she just broke 9lbs two days ago). If you told me all of this when I was pregnant, I'd have told you I couldn't handle it. But I did. So I just don't see how someone can abort their child or give it up b/c somethings "wrong" with him or her. But that's a different debate.

DH and I are at odds about what to do with the next child. He wants to do IVF or something, where we can be *sure* our next child wouldn't have NS. Or if we didn't, would want me to have an amnio to know whether or not the baby has it. I, on the other hand, don't really want to know. I feel it's in God's hands. I wouldn't give our next baby away, in fact would feel more prepared to deal with it than I am with Julia now (no doctor that we've talked to, save one doc we traveled 3 hours to see, has ever heard of it, or dealt with it for that matter).
June 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Doing it just to find out the sex, though, is just ridiculous.[/b]

I respect your opinion.. but this really breaks my heart. My cousin is Downs and he is the most wonderful loving person I know. He has also done everything ever Dr. has said he would never do. He has finished Highschool and has a full time job. My aunt was very young when she had him.. since he has a disability the state usually pays for the most part any medical bills you may have. I know everyone is different but I wouldnt be able to give my baby away just because he or she maybe a little different. Maybe it's because I have spent so much time around handicapped people.
[/b]
I probobly would not terminate the pregnancy if I really think about it, but as far as adoption...I dunno, I dont think it's selfish, I'm just being realistic...I am not emotionally or financially equipped to deal with a disabled child honestly. I wish it wasn't the case but I'm gonna be doing this alone and I just don't know if I could do it and I would never want my child to feel like a burden. I would want to know early enough so that I could find a loving home for the baby...I mean, maybe that makes me a bad person but I know my limits and it just wouldn't be fair to the child.
June 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Ukmum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me to only have it done if i were to terminate the pregnancy if there was something wrong. As i would not have terminated the pregnany i refused the test.

m/c 86, May 04, July 04, m/c Sep 04

http://www.facebook.com/Ukmum

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search