The right to breastfeed

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would you support a law that requires companies to make reasonable accomodations to allow a mother to be able to continue breastfeeding by pumping at work?
Reasonable accomodations would include: time to pump, private and safe/healthy space to pump
June 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
ABSOLUTELY!!!
I think there should also be a longer maternity leave available to BFing mothers, at least 6 months (this would make the possibility of longer BFing more realistic for working mothers and also provide an incentive to those who may not, otherwise, consider it.)

June 23rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
mrobinson
First of all I love your avatar!! I love the Clone Wars cartoons!!!

Quote:
Would you support a law that requires companies to make reasonable accomodations to allow a mother to be able to continue breastfeeding by pumping at work?
Reasonable accomodations would include: time to pump, private and safe/healthy space to pump[/b]
I would really love to see the US expand their laws on maternity/paternity leave for this reason... (They have it in Canada, so that's the only system I know.)
June 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be a great idea to offer more leave options, etc. for ALL new mothers, not just ones who plan to nurse. I am already getting worried about what we will do. I am the breadwinner (in that I make more money, not that DF doesn't work at all) and plan to bf. My only option for maternity leave is an unpaid maximum of 12 weeks through FMLA. With the way things are going, I won't be able to be out of work for more than 8. It's a shame, really.

<div align="center"></div>
June 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
kadydid
I think it would be a GREAT thing!
June 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think it would be a great idea to offer more leave options, etc. for ALL new mothers, not just ones who plan to nurse.[/b]
I agree.

Quote:
Reasonable accomodations would include: time to pump, private and safe/healthy space to pump[/b]
And I would support this as well.
Sounds like a great idea!

June 23rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's one of those things that is great in theory but where do you get the money to implement it? We are already taxed so much, I don't know if I would want more of my income taxed so others could take time out of their work day to pump or have longer paid leave.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be great if they could extend the maternity leave for BF and FF mothers as well as fathers. My fiance won't even get a paternity leave, so I wish that they would make it a law that father's get a paternity leave too.
Amanda
June 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I think it would be great if they could extend the maternity leave for BF and FF mothers as well as fathers. My fiance won't even get a paternity leave, so I wish that they would make it a law that father's get a paternity leave too.
Amanda[/b]

There is, it's just that it's unpaid leave (under the FMLA, family medical leave act), so no one can afford it. My DH had some vacation pay saved up, so he took vacation for a week when our baby was born... but not everyone can even do that; it's sad.
June 23rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to say it should only be for breastfeeders because that would greatly encourage breastfeeding but then I thought about the poor moms who truly can't. It would be like a smack in the face to fail at breastfeeding and then loose time with your child becasue of it.

It can be done. Sweeden adn Denamrk do it. Cananda does too for a year, right?
June 23rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a good idea to me! I dont have any children yet and I'm currently not ttc, but when the time comes that would definately be something I would take advangtage of if it was available
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
June 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Amanda[/b]
I agree. My dh will have a week's worth of vacation when the baby comes and that's it. It'd be nice for the father's to get to take more time if they want it. It would also be nice if ALL mothers got more maternty leave. Where I work we have under 50 employees so therefore they are not required to allow 12 weeks. We get 6-8 and that's it!

Kristi
June 23rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many of you guys get paid maternity leave? Where my husband works they get maternity leave but it's not paid. So when I go to have the baby he can only afford to take 2 days off because they arent paid for. It really ticks me off. Are a lot of places like this??

June 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
chlodoll
In Canada it works that a woman can get 15 weeks of maternity leave then the next 35 weeks are called parental leave. Either the Mother or the Father can take this. So if the Mother made more money then it might me in the families best interest for her to go back while the Father stays home. You can also split it up and do half and half. You have to have atleast 600 insurable hours in a 12 month period to qualify, and I beleive in some provinces its 900 hours.
June 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm moving to Canada lol.
Amanda
June 24th, 2006, 07:29 AM
cheesevixen's Avatar Veteran
I think that would be a great law to pass. I believe that they were gonna get stricter on tose laws though. As in arresting a women for breastfeeding in public. I hope that law gets passed. I really do.

June 25th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would love to see better maternity leave, etc aviable in the US. 12 weeks unpaid SUX -- and thats not even guarenteed -- you have work at the place a year, and have so many hours; or the company employees so many people -- just to get 12 weeks unpaid job protected leave. What I would really like to see is more public places offering areas to breastfeed, that are at least semi private.
June 25th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I am going to answer the original question here, which is about lactation accomodations.

YES!

Our government has decreed that there needs to be reasonable accomodations for mothers who need time off for sick children. There should also be reasonable accomodations for feeding children. In addition, by allowing the woman to pump and continue breastmilk, the company will be losing less sick days to that mother because breastmilk has been found to decrease the risks of illness to her babies.

I say, let's get progressive!
June 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I am going to answer the original question here, which is about lactation accomodations.

YES!

Our government has decreed that there needs to be reasonable accomodations for mothers who need time off for sick children. There should also be reasonable accomodations for feeding children. In addition, by allowing the woman to pump and continue breastmilk, the company will be losing less sick days to that mother because breastmilk has been found to decrease the risks of illness to her babies.

I say, let's get progressive!
[/b]
While I definitely support extended family leave (america's current system is horrible!); I also don't see that changing anytime soon. Just because so many folks would question where we would get the money for that. (Not that we dont manage to get money for nation building in other countries but we can't spend that money on our own.....well I wont get started on that tangent. )
So back to my original question about BF & pumping while at work....It wouldnt require additional taxes or anything. It just requires companies to take a little additional thought and actually make accomodations for their workers. It just ticks me off that for many mothers returning to work their company's strict policy on break length prohibits them from continuing to feed their child in the manner that they want. Somehow the work/family balance in america has gone drastically wrong.
June 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
How many of you guys get paid maternity leave? Where my husband works they get maternity leave but it's not paid. So when I go to have the baby he can only afford to take 2 days off because they arent paid for. It really ticks me off. Are a lot of places like this??[/b]
My husband gets 1 month paid paternity leave. And we are in the US. I feel very lucky that he gets that much paid time off!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search