Guardian angels...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I am a very firm believer that everyone has a guardian angel assigned to them that watches over them in their everyday life. Well for the longest time I always said that my grandfather who passed away when I was almost a year old was my guardian angel, but I saw on tv that guardien angels aren't people that we know. So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on guardian angels. Do you believe in them? Do you think it's someone you know that passed?
Amanda
June 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Well I am a very firm believer that everyone has a guardian angel assigned to them that watches over them in their everyday life. Well for the longest time I always said that my grandfather who passed away when I was almost a year old was my guardian angel, but I saw on tv that guardien angels aren't people that we know. So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on guardian angels. Do you believe in them? Do you think it's someone you know that passed?
Amanda[/b]
No, I do not believe in them. If they are guarding people, they are not doing a very good job.....
June 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe in them.. I would like to think my Grandmother is watching over me but I'm really not sure.

June 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
No, I do not believe in them. If they are guarding people, they are not doing a very good job.....[/b]
Wouldn't that be like blaming God for all the bad things that happen in the world?

Amanda
June 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM
kadydid
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
No, I do not believe in them. If they are guarding people, they are not doing a very good job.....[/b]
Wouldn't that be like blaming God for all the bad things that happen in the world?

Amanda
[/b][/quote]

Can’t blame something you don’t believe in. But I do think that people’s ideas about god, have caused a lot of pain and strife in the world. But no I wouldn’t blame god.

But I am curious why people would have guardian angles, if they are not actually doing anything. There are times when bad things could have happened but didn’t, but that doesn’t point towards protection of a different or higher being. It just goes along with ###### happens good or bad life happens anyway. There are people in this world everyday that have crappy things happen to them. A girl on a board I used to visit, her neighbor had a 3 year old who was taken from his home and raped and then dropped off in the back yard. I am curious about his guardian angel, was he on a coffee break or something? Or was that just part of “gods plan” or some other way to explain something that can’t be explained?

So when bad things happen is it all part of gods plans, and when good things happen it was a guardian angel? Is this the way it works?
June 25th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I personally think Guardian Angels are there more to guide us through our lives and help us make the right decisions. I'm not sure about the whole preventing bad things from happening.

June 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I personally think Guardian Angels are there more to guide us through our lives and help us make the right decisions. I'm not sure about the whole preventing bad things from happening.[/b]
How do they guide you?
June 25th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Well If I knew that I would be very rich.

June 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on guardian angels. Do you believe in them? Do you think it's someone you know that passed?
Amanda[/b]
I do believe in them. I think they could be a person you once knew in a past life.

Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
[/b][/quote]
I respect everyone has different beliefs. Mine revolve around personal responsiblity in a spiritual sense.. If we learnt a lesson a first time, we wouldn't have to learn it again and again, each time harder! You might not beleive this, but we are responsible for our own destiny. God and Mother Earth just gave us a chance to play at this life. Guardian Angels do also speak to us.. some of us can hear them better. (I'm not one of them.) I do think that ringing in your ears is from them.

Quote:
So when bad things happen is it all part of gods plans, and when good things happen it was a guardian angel? Is this the way it works?[/b]
As weird as it may seem that idea that little girl is horrible but she may have something good come from it. She may be the next lawyer/politician that changes the law to the better, or be a counsellor for victims.. Who knows yet.

Quote:
Quote:
I personally think Guardian Angels are there more to guide us through our lives and help us make the right decisions. I'm not sure about the whole preventing bad things from happening.[/b]
How do they guide you?
[/b]
To Heaven.
June 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we are talking about angels as spoken of in the bible:

No where in the bible does it mention any human dying and becoming and angel. Being an angel would not be a reward set as a promise in heaven. If a person makes it to heaven then they are promised eternal life without a tear, without suffering. Becoming an angel to watch over someone in heaven - while the idea is romantic - would bring suffering back into the saint's life. I personally do not believe that people are sent to heaven to become angels. I hope that my fellow Christian brothers and sisters are able to pass through the troubles of this life and make it to heaven for their reward of peace and rest, and no worries. I do not want them being reminded of the horrible things that happen on this earth. I will make it through my troubles, eventually, and join them in heaven soon enough. Angels were created to do God's bidding -to protect, to minister, to witness, to serve.

There are several different types of angels listed in the bible, including what we call guardian angels. In the bible, some people/groups of people are mentioned as having more than one, or several angels watching them. For instance:

Matthew 18:10 10Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Daniel 6:20-23, Acts 7:52-53, Luke 1:11-20,

What is not really clear is if there are certain angels assigned to certain people, or if the angels wandering the earth are watching God's people in general. The bible does not specifically say. The word "their" in the above passage may relate to a specific child/child of God or it may refer to the whole group of Christians.
The archangel Michael was assigned to the nation of Israel in the OT (Daniel 10:21; 12:1).

We are in the presence of angels constantly. (Good and bad) They roam the earth. And, contrary to what many believe, not all angels have wings, and most angels, if not all recorded in the bible, appear more as men (but I do not know if they are classified as having a sex or even need to be. The term "male" is just used to describe their appearance).

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
June 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I do believe in them. I think they could be a person you once knew in a past life.[/b]
That to me makes more sense than thinking they were someone you knew in this life. If you knew them in this life, you would have gone half your life without a guardian angel.

Quote:
I do think that ringing in your ears is from them.[/b]
Great, now every time I hear ringing I am going to think of angels. LOL

I am not completely opposed to the idea of angels even though I don’t think I would use that wording, but I think people think of them more on a personal level than I would. I do have a hard time believing in this kind of supernatural guide with all of the misery and suffering in the world. Yesterday I was watching the news and I seen an entire room of children who had been stabbed and hit with machetes because of the genocide in Rwanda. Not to mention all the actual deaths and massive of rapes that happen to the women in this country. Sure it’s nice to say maybe they will be this or that someday and really make a difference, but odds are that isn’t the case, because many of them just end up being a statistic.

So I don’t really see where they are helping. I think people are getting weary of waiting.
I know my posts are a breath of pessimistic fresh air. LOL I just can’t help myself. LOL

I had to edit because I see that half my posts are either angels or angles. LOL that’s what I get for not proof reading!
June 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
So I don’t really see where they are helping.[/b]
Well, I don't think we seen on that same program the souls of those unfortunate kids being guided down the tunnel with their angels..

The spirit world can't interfere here on Earth like we see in the movies. Their calling is different.
June 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really like the information that Becca posted about the subject. I don't think that I ever said that guardian angels are here to prevent bad things from happening. I think that they are here more in the sense to guide people throughout everyday life. My grandma (who is very religious) also believes that they most often take on the shape of a human being. We were always told growing up that the angels can watch over and protect us. Does that mean that nothing bad is ever going to happen to us? No, it doesn't. I pray to God everyday that bad things don't happen to those I love, but everything happens for a reason.
Amanda
June 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I don't think that I ever said that guardian angels are here to prevent bad things from happening. I think that they are here more in the sense to guide people throughout everyday life.[/b]
You don’t need to say it, the word guardian implies there is some sort of guarding going on. Now if only the term “angel” had only been used, I am not sure I would have asked about guarding. But considering you like the biblical type angels that Becca had talked about. There is a Psalm that specifically talks about them protecting.

Psalm 91
9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-
10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."
I just turned to my husband (who is playing EQ2) and told him, just imagine if we actually have angels (I read we all have one, even if we don’t believe or want one) they are standing here watching us, as I debate them not existing. LOL DH Laughed. Definitely not my thing, but hey whatever floats your boat.
June 27th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do believe in Guardian Angels, and whenever someone I know passes, I find the guardian angel pin for the month that they passed, and give it to a close family member. They all hold onto that pin for dear life. It is a piece of them and a reminder that someone is watching them and (hopefully) protecting them.

Although, I do like the guardian angel past life analagy. Makes sense. However, I think that when people close to you pass on they stay near you guarding you as well.

**I don't know why, but JM brings out the rambler in me!!**
June 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
just turned to my husband (who is playing EQ2) and told him, just imagine if we actually have angels (I read we all have one, even if we don’t believe or want one) they are standing here watching us, as I debate them not existing. LOL DH Laughed. Definitely not my thing, but hey whatever floats your boat.[/b]
Nobody is even arguing with you whether or not they are real. Everyone is free to have their own beliefs regarding God, angels, Jesus, whatever. Please don't make other's beliefs into a joke though.
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
kadydid
Quote:
Nobody is even arguing with you whether or not they are real. Everyone is free to have their own beliefs regarding God, angels, Jesus, whatever. Please don't make other's beliefs into a joke though.[/b]
Holy Moly, this is a debate is it not? First of all this is a debate about “Do you believe in them? Do you think it's someone you know that passed?” And that question pretty much asks if you believe they exist or not. And secondly my crack was a crack on myself on how if I was wrong…….so you getting huffy is a little extreme. And thirdly on a debate board, I am going to think many things people believe are funny, and I can make you no promises that I won’t laugh about it or make a little joke, if you don’t want to deal with that then you probably shouldn’t debate or converse with me.
June 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sigh.
June 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Holy Moly, this is a debate is it not? First of all this is a debate about “Do you believe in them? Do you think it's someone you know that passed?” And that question pretty much asks if you believe they exist or not. And secondly my crack was a crack on myself on how if I was wrong…….so you getting huffy is a little extreme. And thirdly on a debate board, I am going to think many things people believe are funny, and I can make you no promises that I won’t laugh about it or make a little joke, if you don’t want to deal with that then you probably shouldn’t debate or converse with me.[/b]
I know we may not see eye to eye on this issue but I did think you were just joking around.. (Your replies seem to have a lot of tongue in cheek responses... so..) I guess I should have responded with a sooner.
June 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay everyone is right and I am wrong maybe I just misread what was written. The way I interpreted it was that she was laughing at the thought of people believing in angels. It's not that hard to misread or misinterpret something on here.
Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search