Debate or Support??

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
kadydid
Is this an alternate debating universe or something? When people debate, they state their opinions. And like it or not, people all over the world have different opinions about different things and different situations. And if everyone was tolerant of everything we would all be running around patting each other on the back for everything, right or wrong.

I might not agree with an anti choice person (or a righty in general) or their opinion, but they have the right to their opinion just as I have the right to mine. This is a freaking debate board people, it would be pretty lame too if everyone agreed with everyone else. The point of debating is arguing one side against the other. That is the point.

So my question is are we here to debate or are we here to pat each other on the back for every thing one of us does whether or not we agree with it or not. Not agreeing with someone or their actions is different than thinking they are a crappy parent or a crappy person in general (in most cases).

So is this a support forum or a debate forum? I am seriously confused, are we allowed to state our own opinions or should we just say only things that wont bother others???
June 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I ask myself this as well!

No point made in a debate should be undebatable. I know I know...opinions are opinions, but you can't expect your opinion not to be debated on a debate board.

I think people are too quick to see something as a personal attack. It is human nature to associate your actions with who you are, so, when someone attacks those actions, I can understand the brief thought that they are attacking YOU, as a person. But then you have to step away from that, step back a bit and see that the debate is about the action itself; if you choose to take it further and apply it to your being, that is your perogative, just don't get upset about it
June 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Veteran
I totally agree with both of you, and have been wondering the same thing myself. It seems like anytime we debate something that is a sensitive topic, someone gets their feelings hurt.
June 24th, 2006, 06:47 PM
CJMOM209
I also agree with you. I just think some people feel personally attacked at times and maybe that's why they get their feelings hurt. I have found it very interesting how I agree with some people on here about some things and disagree with the same exact person on another topic. I think this board is wonderful, and I know most people on here do not intentionally hurt feelings.
June 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I also agree with you. I just think some people feel personally attacked at times and maybe that's why they get their feelings hurt. I have found it very interesting how I agree with some people on here about some things and disagree with the same exact person on another topic.[/b]
I have always experienced this. I can totally disagree with someone on one point and 2 minutes later be completely in agreement with them.
June 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Ashes78
I think that some people get their feelings hurt because once in a while someone will post their opinion but in a very rude, uncalled for way. It usually happens when name calling starts. Like when someone says "If you do this you are stupid", etc. I think sometimes we need to stop and think about how we are putting what we are trying to say. I am not saying sugar coat it but don't be downright mean either.
June 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all of the above, but some people really don't THINK about what they say. You can say something and have an opinion, or you can say something, come off like a total ####### and it seems as if you are just there to troll. The difference can be subtle at times.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the problem is half of us are freaking PREGNANT and it's hard not to get hormonal and flip out when something is said that makes us feel like crap!
June 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
I think the problem is half of us are freaking PREGNANT and it's hard not to get hormonal and flip out when something is said that makes us feel like crap![/b]
Yeah or it's that time of month. I know I have been a little @#$% lately.
June 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Ashes that the way something is worded has a lot to do with the reason people get their feelings hurt. I personally don't get mine hurt because I really don't care what anyone (especially people that don't know me) have to say about my decisions or opinions. I try not to sugar coat what I have to say when debating but I'm also careful not to make it sound like my opinion is obviously right and anyone who thinks otherwise is going to hades.
Amanda
June 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I think the problem is half of us are freaking PREGNANT and it's hard not to get hormonal and flip out when something is said that makes us feel like crap![/b]
ITA with this too. I have seen a big difference between debating on women only sites and debating with men. It is not so emotional, usually due to pregnancy or some other hormonal change.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search