drug addicted babies?

• Should the parent be able to keep their baby if they are born addicted to drugs?

Just want to hear your opinions.
  • There are a lot of issues within this issue and lot of things to consider.

The child's right to life has already been violated harshly, in my opinion. The mother already has a strike against her. She needs to get counciling immediately as well as education and help with how to take care of her now high-need child. SHe needs to be monitored and have her homelife inspected to make sure it is safe for a child and, in some cases, have her child taken until conditions are right in the home to make the child safe there.

When the home is deemed safe and she is deemed able to be responsible for the welfare of the child, she should have custody with periodic visits from authorities in this area. If she cannot achieve this, the child should be taken and placed in foster care. Failure to achieve the standards set out for her by a certain time should result in loss of all parenting rights to the child.
  • Quote:
    There are a lot of issues within this issue and lot of things to consider.

The child's right to life has already been violated harshly, in my opinion. The mother already has a strike against her. She needs to get counciling immediately as well as education and help with how to take care of her now high-need child. SHe needs to be monitored and have her homelife inspected to make sure it is safe for a child and, in some cases, have her child taken until conditions are right in the home to make the child safe there.

When the home is deemed safe and she is deemed able to be responsible for the welfare of the child, she should have custody with periodic visits from authorities in this area. If she cannot achieve this, the child should be taken and placed in foster care. Failure to achieve the standards set out for her by a certain time should result in loss of all parenting rights to the child.[/b]
    I agree. She should be given a chance to straighten her life up and if she can't do it, then the child should go to someone who can take care of the child.
  • No.

unless they straighten thier life up, however I think they shoulda done that before having a drug dependant baby
  • Quote:
    There are a lot of issues within this issue and lot of things to consider.

When the home is deemed safe and she is deemed able to be responsible for the welfare of the child, she should have custody with periodic visits from authorities in this area. If she cannot achieve this, the child should be taken and placed in foster care. Failure to achieve the standards set out for her by a certain time should result in loss of all parenting rights to the child.[/b]
    I agree.
  • [SIZE=2]I think that it just depends on why the baby is born addicted. I donít agree with girls who have babies addicted to meth or crack. I am glad that the state steps in then. But if there is a girl that had a drug addiction and is seeking help and has gone on methadone then she is trying to do what is right for her baby. </span>

• I think it depends also on why the baby was born addicted to drugs.. There are some women who were severely addicted to certain drugs before they became pregnant and have been through rehab etc and are on low doses of certain drugs to keep their bodies from being all out wack while the drug fully works its way out of the system.. Now if she happens to get pregnant during this time but is NOT actively using I see NO reason why that baby should be taken away she has taken the steps to better her life. If she was actively using during her pregnancy I think the baby should be kept with a family member NOT foster care while the mother is fixing her problem and stays clean for a while then the baby should be returned to the mother.
  • Quote:
    Should the parent be able to keep their baby if they are born addicted to drugs?

Just want to hear your opinions.[/b]
    The reality is the foster programs and social services don't have the resources to take care of all the babies that "should" be taken away from "unfit" moms for being born addicted to drugs. Once the baby is here, the authroities need an incident or two to happen.. If the mom refused drug treatment programs or takes them and doesn't stick with them, it still has to be proven she is an unfit mom. Most social workers will try to work with the mom and teach her the skills she needs for that baby. They don't want to take the child. Luckily there are lots of moms who will give their drug addicted baby up for adoption and those babies are in the adoption programs.. Anyone up for adopting a drug addicted baby?