Log In Sign Up

Sex offendor registery sites


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,966
I was just looking to see if there is any child molestors in my area. I just saw they do not show addresses for sex offendors unless they are violent prediators. IMO they should not even be let out of prison if they are a violent prediator. If there is a baby raper living next to me I want to know!

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 25th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
They show addresses here in TX. They show their name, picture, address, offence, date of the offence, age of the victim, DOB, hair color, eye color, weight, height, shoe size, etc. I think every state should give all of this info.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
They show addresses here in TX. They show their name, picture, address, offence, date of the offence, age of the victim, DOB, hair color, eye color, weight, height, shoe size, etc. I think every state should give all of this info.[/b]
Agreed! We got our info about the sex offenders in our area from our local police department. They had pics, addresses, description, crime, etc. Maybe in person would get you different info for your area rather than the net?
__________________
taking jm breaks if you don't see me around much
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,429
Try this link:

http://www.mapsexoffenders.com/

I used to know a really good one, but I can't think of it right now. Click the little red posts to get more info.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 25th, 2006, 10:25 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
I think they are a great idea!! We have one that lives a block away.. next to the Grade School
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
I think they are a great idea!! We have one that lives a block away.. next to the Grade School [/b]
I just read in the local paper here a few days ago that the town I live in is going to start regulating where sex offenders can live. I was so happy to see this. They won't be able to live near any schools, day cares, etc. We live really close to the school so I know there won't be any sex offenders living near us. Why can't every town do this?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM
syncere
Guest
Posts: n/a
There is some website that I found a while back that listed anyone who had commited any type of crime against a child.. Listed their name, a picture, what color hair, age, date of birth of victim, when it occured and when he was released from prison.. Didnt give a specific address of where they lived just the general area.. I personally think that anyone who has commited ANY crime against a child should never be let out.. If they did it once they more than likely will do it again..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
I was chatting with a girl about pedophiles and she told me the majority of sex offenders get away with their first offense.. Does anyone have a stat to help that? Her and her family are trying to accept that reality as they are going to court coming up.

I think it shows that people who are on those are there for a reason.. I understand that some people are on there for consenting relationships but I would like to make it clear my feelings are for those who are real pedophiles..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
They show addresses here in TX. They show their name, picture, address, offence, date of the offence, age of the victim, DOB, hair color, eye color, weight, height, shoe size, etc. I think every state should give all of this info.[/b]
I also live in Texas and she is absolutely correct. Also I know in some parts of Texas if a sex offender is moving into say like an apartment complex they are required to go around with their probation officer, lawyer, whoever, and tell their future neighbors about their sex offense as well as have a petition signed.
Amanda
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sylvania Township, Ohio
Posts: 22,176
Quote:
They show addresses here in TX. They show their name, picture, address, offence, date of the offence, age of the victim, DOB, hair color, eye color, weight, height, shoe size, etc. I think every state should give all of this info.[/b]

They also give that info here in Ohio also. I am so glad! That is how we found out a sexual PREDATOR was living 2 blocks from the school my kids used to go to.
__________________
Thank you KimberlyD0 for my absolutely beautiful siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
That would be great if there was something here where sex offenders couldnt live in certain places. If someone knew there was a sex offender living a block away from your childs school (like there is in my town) would you feel comfortable letting your child walk to school? My kids arent old enough to walk to school by themselves yet... but when they are I don't think I will be comfortable letting them and thats too bad.

Josie
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #13  
July 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
I am going to be the odd man out & say I think it is unconstitutional to require free citizens that have already served a sentence to be held on some public list. If the government believes they are unsafe they shouldn't be out. I think it's also ludicrous to believe that by simply knowing who some of the offenders are, that we are safer. It isn't true. There has been no study that could conclude that this law has done anything to actually reduce recidivism rates or keep people safer - it just gives that illusion. It also worries me because before Hitler killed the first Jew, he started in by attacking the rights of all sex offenders. From 1933 to 1936, amendments were passed to Paragraphs 173 through 188 of the German Penal Law specifically to target homosexuals and “sexual deviants.”

The sex offender laws created by the Nazi 3rd Reich could have been the model for “Megan’s Law.” They established the first sex offender registry, requiring sex offenders to register their whereabouts & to wear pink triangles (thus why pink triangles are the symbol for homosexuality today), and established punishments for sex crimes such as long prison terms, loss of voting rights, concentration camps, & the death penalty. All of these laws were justified to protect children from sexual predators. Of course, Hitler had other things in mind from the beginning. Targeting sex offenders was just a way to establish the precedent of wholesale deprivation of human rights in preparation for his later attacks against the people he truly hated.

It’s doubtful that the German people would have stood by while Hitler’s troops rounded up Jews, Gypsies, Communists, Socialists, trade unionists, and so forth, and sent them off to death camps in 1933 when he first ascended to power. Hitler had to first establish a precedent that some people were subhuman and unworthy of human rights — and he started with the most universally despised group he could find.

History shows that you can’t single out one group for deprivation of civil rights without weakening those rights for everyone else. I think sexual abuse of children is awful - as does just about everyone...I just don't think this is the answer. If we think these people aren't safe to walk our streets, putting them on a list doesn't change that & believing that we have a right to know something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Unless we are going to put everyone who is of "interest" who has ever been accused or convicted of anything that might be of harm to us or our loved ones...how does it really change the danger out there? I hate to say that I think the real danger is believing that a list somehow doesn't invade on constitutional territory & can somehow keep us safer. Ask any woman with a restraining order how safe a piece of paper - or some list - actually makes you.
__________________
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet




Reply With Quote
  #14  
July 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,667
I think that people who violate other people sexually (especially children) should be made known to the public. People used to have "word of mouth" but in our culture today, where people move around a lot more than they used to, and no one really knows their neighbors anymore, the public needs to be protected. I really think they should be kept in jail forever too, but sadly some "activist" judges won't even put them in jail at all in some cases, much less keep them there forever.

We get mailouts whenever a sex offender moves into our zip code. We have three living within 2 miles of our house, which is the main reason our children won't be standing down on the highway waiting for the school bus every morning.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #15  
July 4th, 2006, 10:50 AM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 382
I think we, as citizens and as parents, have a right to know when our children are being put at risk by moving a convicted sex offender nearby. I personally think that once a person molests a child, and is convicted of that crime, they give up their right to anonymity for the greater good - protecting our children. My own father is on the sex offender registry here in NC, as he deserves to be. He wasnt convicted of child molestation, as he prefers them a bit older (13-15 years old). Thats the main reason I have nothing to do with him. I have two daughters myself, and they are within 3 years of being at his *target* age. Im not saying he would attempt to molest his own granddaughters, but ya know - he was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor, and statutory rape - with his 15 year old stepdaughter. If his own stepdaughter isnt off limits, why should his own granddaughters be? It isnt a chance Im willing to take with my girls. My stepsister wasnt the first underage girl he was with, and she certainly wasnt the last one either. All of the counseling and medication, and treatment he had while in prison and after his release didnt change the fact that hes sexually attracted to teenage girls, and WILL have sex with them given the opportunity.
I suppose my reasoning is ...I HAVE daughters. I would want to know if someone like that was living close to us so I could warn my children about the dangers of associating with them, even if it is just a friendly hello. My girls know not to talk to strangers, and not to get in cars with people they dont know. They know to scream and kick and put up a fight. We've gone over all of that with them. But as kids, you dont really comprehend that Mr Johnson three houses down is a danger to you, because hes a neighbor. If he was a danger, why would he live there? KWIM? So yeah, I think as parents we NEED to be informed when our kids are going to be at risk.
__________________
<iframe src = "http://w63.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstrip&featurena me=denizz&pa=/h155/cbrmommy/" height = 140 width = 425 border='0' frameborder='0' ></iframe>
Reply With Quote
  #16  
July 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
Quote:
I think we, as citizens and as parents, have a right to know when our children are being put at risk by moving a convicted sex offender nearby. I personally think that once a person molests a child, and is convicted of that crime, they give up their right to anonymity for the greater good - protecting our children. My own father is on the sex offender registry here in NC, as he deserves to be. He wasnt convicted of child molestation, as he prefers them a bit older (13-15 years old). Thats the main reason I have nothing to do with him. I have two daughters myself, and they are within 3 years of being at his *target* age. Im not saying he would attempt to molest his own granddaughters, but ya know - he was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor, and statutory rape - with his 15 year old stepdaughter. If his own stepdaughter isnt off limits, why should his own granddaughters be? It isnt a chance Im willing to take with my girls. My stepsister wasnt the first underage girl he was with, and she certainly wasnt the last one either. All of the counseling and medication, and treatment he had while in prison and after his release didnt change the fact that hes sexually attracted to teenage girls, and WILL have sex with them given the opportunity.
I suppose my reasoning is ...I HAVE daughters. I would want to know if someone like that was living close to us so I could warn my children about the dangers of associating with them, even if it is just a friendly hello. My girls know not to talk to strangers, and not to get in cars with people they dont know. They know to scream and kick and put up a fight. We've gone over all of that with them. But as kids, you dont really comprehend that Mr Johnson three houses down is a danger to you, because hes a neighbor. If he was a danger, why would he live there? KWIM? So yeah, I think as parents we NEED to be informed when our kids are going to be at risk.[/b]
Aren't your kids at risk every moment of every day that they are supervised? I mean really...does knowing Mr Johnson is a convicted sex offender save them from Mr Smith next door that has never been caught? I just fail to see how it truly makes you safer to know who some of the molesters are in your area.

I was molested as a child. This person would have never made anyone's list - it was an older child. My mom would have been trusting enough (had we had this list) to believe I was safe if she kept me away from the "men on the list". I just say it gives a hugely false sense of security to list a bunch of people - say they aren't safe - set them free - and then think somehow by knowing who they are means your kids are safer. I just don't believe it & as I said - no study has shown that it works that way. Feeling safer doesn't make you safer.


On a separate note - I am very sorry that you have had to deal with that in your family - I am sure it is harder than I can imagine.
__________________
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet




Reply With Quote
  #17  
July 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
cbrmommy ~ I don't want to take away from your point at all.. I think when a person has such a personal prespective, it has more weight whether or not everyone shares the same opinion, ykwim?

I agree with Beck idea of feeling safe as opposed to the idea of actually being safe. Most molsters are trusted family friends or family.

There is a fine line of civil liberities here so it's hard to debate. I just wish until they have better ways of dealing with molsters they keep 'em in jail with the intention of working harder on rehab. I think right now the system isn't working for the public nor the molster.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
July 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
Quote:
cbrmommy ~ I don't want to take away from your point at all.. I think when a person has such a personal prespective, it has more weight whether or not everyone shares the same opinion, ykwim?

I agree with Beck idea of feeling safe as opposed to the idea of actually being safe. Most molsters are trusted family friends or family.

There is a fine line of civil liberities here so it's hard to debate. I just wish until they have better ways of dealing with molsters they keep 'em in jail with the intention of working harder on rehab. I think right now the system isn't working for the public nor the molster.[/b]
completley agree!
__________________
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet




Reply With Quote
  #19  
July 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
DiamondsGlow
Guest
Posts: n/a
I love the site and think it is a great idea but at the same time it kind of creeps me out since the last time I went on thier I saw one of my ex boyfriend's on it THAT WAS CREEPY!

I think that they should not even be allowed out of jail because everytime you turn around your hearing about a sex offender once again going after a kid and the second time around they usually kill the kid.

I say keep them in jail or give them thier own little private island that they are not allowed to leave
Reply With Quote
  #20  
July 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 382
Quote:
Aren't your kids at risk every moment of every day that they are supervised? I mean really...does knowing Mr Johnson is a convicted sex offender save them from Mr Smith next door that has never been caught? I just fail to see how it truly makes you safer to know who some of the molesters are in your area.

I was molested as a child. This person would have never made anyone's list - it was an older child. My mom would have been trusting enough (had we had this list) to believe I was safe if she kept me away from the "men on the list". I just say it gives a hugely false sense of security to list a bunch of people - say they aren't safe - set them free - and then think somehow by knowing who they are means your kids are safer. I just don't believe it & as I said - no study has shown that it works that way. Feeling safer doesn't make you safer.


On a separate note - I am very sorry that you have had to deal with that in your family - I am sure it is harder than I can imagine. [/b]
Oh no I agree our kids are at risk in any case. Maybe I should have said "if my children are going to be at a higher risk" as opposed to simply being at risk. Considering 1 in 4 girls are molested before the age of 18, they are at substantial risk anyway, but living within close proximity of a child molester would put them at a higher risk than a child who lives say 5 miles away from a child molester, KWIM? Perhaps it does instill a false sense of security in people, knowing who is on the list, what the look like, and where they live, but I would much rather know there is someone like that living nearby and be able to take extra precautions rather than be blindsided when something actually happened and find out after the fact that this person was already convicted of a similar crime. I guess I'm just of the mindset that even if having a list of known offenders prevents one child from suffering through that experience, its worth it.
Im sorry you had to experience that as a child. I experienced something like that as a child- around the age of 9-10. My moms best friends daughter was molested by her grandfather for years before they finally found out. She spent the night with us one night, and I woke up to her touching me, told her to stop, and that was that. The next morning I told my mom what happened, and she wasnt allowed back over to our house. From what I remember her mom put her in therapy after that incident, because I had spoken up, they found out she was doing the same thing to other kids. I dont consider myself to be molested as a child, as it was a singular incident. I suppose in my family it was kind of hard to deal with in a way. I grew up in a small town so everyone knew who my father was. So until I was 15 and moved to a different place, I was tormented for being the kid with a father who was a sex abuser and a stepdad who was a baby killer (their word, not mine, though thats a whole other long story). But I firmly believe Im a stronger person for it, Im more aware of things that happen, I pay closer attention adn Im constantly on my guard because of it.
__________________
<iframe src = "http://w63.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstrip&featurena me=denizz&pa=/h155/cbrmommy/" height = 140 width = 425 border='0' frameborder='0' ></iframe>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 AM.