drinking and driving

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How many drinks are ok when someone is going to be behind the wheel? We all know the legal limit (.1 BAC or .08 depending on the state- not sure what it is in Canada, I assume something similar), but I am asking your thought on this.

This is a question that is not just how much you would drink and drive but how much you want society in general to take as "the limit."
June 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if you've even had one drink you shouldn't drive. Even one drink can impair your judgement.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Ashes78
Quote:
I think if you've even had one drink you shouldn't drive. Even one drink can impair your judgement.[/b]
I agree.
June 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with both of you.

Even if I were to feel able to drive after having a drink, I could never force my choice on the other drivers on the road. We always walk. If we were drinking further from home, I'd go with a taxi both ways or some form of public transportation.
June 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't say that I've never had a couple of drinks and drove, but now one of us is always completely sober. I would definitely never put my child in a vehicle when both of us have been drinking.
Amanda
June 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I think if you've even had one drink you shouldn't drive. Even one drink can impair your judgement.[/b]
I agree.
[/b]
Ditto 100% DH had 2 friends killed by drunk drivers on seperate occasions. I have no tolerance for it.

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
2 drinks is safe to drive. More than that....there is a higher risk of problems.

I think the legal limit is fine where it is.

June 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Quote:
2 drinks is safe to drive. More than that....there is a higher risk of problems.

I think the legal limit is fine where it is.[/b]
Okay but 2 drinks for who? I am tipsy after half a glass of wine I don't want other drivers on the road "guessing" at how many drinks they can have and still drive home.

June 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think no drinks...any alcohol can impair a persons ability, everyone has different tolerance levels.

When I was in high school, I lost 6 (six) friends who were drunk and cramped into a little camero. They were drinking and speeding, lost control, and hit a tree at 80 mph. The transmission ended up in the backseat. I could tell you more, but I will not, since my lunch is rising in my throat thinking about it. Attending six wakes over 3 days at the age of 16 convinced me that I would never, nor would I allow any of my friends to ever, ever get behind the wheel of a car if they had had even one drink.
June 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think no amount of alcohol should be consumed if you are driving. I am not innocent in driving with someone who has drank a beer or 2 over a few hours but I would never ever drive if I drank anything. I know way too many ppl who have died from drunk driving, its just not worth it. One night of fun could kill yourself but most time, kills the innocent by standers (the car that gets crashed into).
June 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I think the legal limit is fine where it is.[/b]
Okay but 2 drinks for who? I am tipsy after half a glass of wine I don't want other drivers on the road "guessing" at how many drinks they can have and still drive home.
[/b]
Well, YOU may be tipsy after half a glass of wine. But that doesn't mean everyone else is. And, unless they were extremely small in height and weight, someone who had two drinks would be below the legal BAC.

There are sites you can look up what your BAC would be based on gender, height, weight, and number of drinks, and how long it took you to drink them.
For instance: http://www.rupissed.com/ or http://www.healthstatus.com/bac.html

A 120 pound woman who had 2 beers in one hour, would be at .06, which is legal to drive. Or, a 200 pound guy can have 3-4 beers in one hour, and be at .07 or below.

If someone feels they are impaired, then by all means they can call a cab. But I don't think the impairment levels should be based on one person being a lightweight, because someone ELSE can have two glasses of wine with dinner and be perfectly fine to drive.

There is really more to it than height and weight, which they don't take into account. Such as tolerance levels. If one person drinks 2 beers every single afternoon for years, odds are they can drive just fine even after those drinks. On the other hand, if someone NEVER drinks, then yeah, they probably shouldn't drive even if they've only had ONE drink, because their body is not used to it.

June 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I cant figure that out for some reason. Anyways i weigh 122lbs am 21 and 5'7. I know after one cooler (say a smirnoff Ice) im getting tipsy. I woul dnever drink when I feel liek that. I would never drink and drive and I think anyone who does is irresponsible. Driving is a priviledge not a right.

also ppl who take meds and drink. They may have the legal intake of alcohol but have taken a pill that doesnt interact with it (even over the counter meds liek Zantac can do that) If I took one of my panic attack pills and drank a litle bit of alcohol I would be MUCH more drunk than if I didnt.

just incase you dont belive that zantac interacts with alcohol

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/ZAN1494.HTM
June 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
personally, I could care less what the BAC is for legally driving. I strongly feel that any driving after alcohol is taking a chance. You can throw all the numbers you want at me, that is how I feel, and that opinion will not be swayed by statistics or numbers. I am not trying to sound crass, but I have seen firsthand what alcohol can do and I stand by my conviction.
June 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
personally, I could care less what the BAC is for legally driving. I strongly feel that any driving after alcohol is taking a chance. You can throw all the numbers you want at me, that is how I feel, and that opinion will not be swayed by statistics or numbers. I am not trying to sound crass, but I have seen firsthand what alcohol can do and I stand by my conviction.[/b]
I didn't say that everyone is SAFE to drive after 2 drinks, I said it is LEGAL to drive after 2 drinks.
Some people can drive fine after 2 drinks, and others can't.

June 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh, no, I know. you are right. I just personally know that I could smell a drink and walk sideways and I would not dare get behind the wheel!

oh, no, I know. you are right. I just personally know that I could smell a drink and walk sideways and I would not dare get behind the wheel!
June 27th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Quote:
It depends. Are you having 2 drinks quickly then jumping in the car? Or are you having a drink or 2 over a few hour period? That makes a huge difference.[/b]
I still don't think you should drink at all if you are going to be driving.

June 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Veteran
I also agree. If you are going to drink at all you shouldn't drive. Just to be safe.

If my DH and I go out to dinner, only one of us will ever get a drink with dinner, and the other one drives home. We just would never forgive ourselves if for some stupid reason, that 1 drink was enough to cause an accident and we hurt someone else.
June 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Eka09M
ZERO. NONE. 0. NADDA. ZILCH

I've lost several friends due to drinking/driving accidents... some they were the one who had been drinking, others were the victim. I am firmly against drinking and driving, even the smallest amount. Statistics don't do a darn thing for me either. I also don't think that anyone has the right to go have a sip, a drink, a couple drinks or a lot of drinks... the jump behind the wheel and drive on a road that I drive with my family on everyday. No one has the right to put my family in danger! I don't care if people say they know their limits and know what their body can handle and how their body will function, anything can happen. People always think "oh not me" "that can't happen to me" and guess what, I know each and every single person who has been killed due to a drinking/driving accident has probably said the same thing! Its not worth it! Life is too precious, my family is too precious.... and we shouldn't have to worry about being at risk of being a victim to a drinking/driving accident. People need to be responsible and think about other people, not just themselves. Be a good friend and be the designated driver..... or call a friend/family member or cab to take you home... its that simple! If your friends and family love you, they would be more than willing to pick you up and take you home instead of letting you get behind the wheel after you have been drinking.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search