Does attending church make you a better Christian?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I feel that I am, for the most part, a very good Christian. I pray everyday (usually just before bed but sometimes during the day). I try to follow the 10 Commandments as best as possible. However, I very rarely attend church. Now, my grandparents always told me that in order to be a good Christian you must go and praise God on Sundays at church. However, as I got older I started to feel differently about that. I would see people that I knew go to church every Sunday and then act horribly the rest of the week. So does going to church make you a better Christian or is it the acts of your daily life that make you a good Christian?
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
So does going to church make you a better Christian or is it the acts of your daily life that make you a good Christian?[/b]
the acts do..
June 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What defines a "good" Christian? I don't like using that word but it boils down to one's relationship with Jesus. Spending time with him through prayer and reading His word are so very valuable.
He does want us to continue meeting with other believers though. It's for our own good, to help us learn more about God and how to live our lives for His glory.
But certainly our salvation doesn't hinge upon it. It's hard to find a church with a solid foundation in the Word and members that truly strive to live for Him. Granted, everyone is human and chances are we all make those choices contrary to what the Bible teaches.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are you looking for here? Do you think someone is actually going to come on and say, "yes, you are a 'bad Christian' for not going to church and you will probably go to he11 because of it". Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think it'd be pretty funny if you did get that response.

Now, when I initially read your question in the subject I thought, "yes it does". I mean if you are really trying to better yourself and trying to become a better Christian then going to church is a great way to learn how to better yourself, so obviously going to church would make you a better Christian. But that's not what you were asking was it? You're seeing if anyone's going to step up and judge you for not going to church... well, I'm not!
June 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What are you looking for here? Do you think someone is actually going to come on and say, "yes, you are a 'bad Christian' for not going to church and you will probably go to he11 because of it". Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think it'd be pretty funny if you did get that response.

Now, when I initially read your question in the subject I thought, "yes it does". I mean if you are really trying to better yourself and trying to become a better Christian then going to church is a great way to learn how to better yourself, so obviously going to church would make you a better Christian. But that's not what you were asking was it? You're seeing if anyone's going to step up and judge you for not going to church... well, I'm not![/b]
Hmm....okay first I want to say that I didn't make this post about myself in particular I was just looking for everyone's opinions about church and Christianity. Like someone mentioned above, I'm at a great place with God and I don't feel that going to church will make me any closer to him at this point in time. I never asked anywhere if I was a bad Christian for going not going to church. I was just asking how everyone felt about the subject because people have different opinions about different things.
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
mrobinson
...pppsstt... Betsy is trying to be funny...
June 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess everyone has a weird sense of humor lol.
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 01:04 PM
mrobinson
Well I think she was...

I think Momo made some great points too about honing on to your Christian values.
June 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hmm....okay first I want to say that I didn't make this post about myself in particular I was just looking for everyone's opinions about church and Christianity. Like someone mentioned above, I'm at a great place with God and I don't feel that going to church will make me any closer to him at this point in time. I never asked anywhere if I was a bad Christian for going not going to church. I was just asking how everyone felt about the subject because people have different opinions about different things.
Amanda[/b]
Sorry about that. I guess my tone came across different then what I intended. I really wrote the reply lightheartedly, meaning no disrespect. I guess I also misinterpreted your OP because in your OP you talk a lot about you personally and say "I" a lot so I just thought that you were talking about yourself and wanting an opinion based on your decisions. Again... I'm sorry. My sense of humor is pretty wierd, I guess.

Quote:
...pppsstt... Betsy is trying to be funny...[/b]
Thanks Michelle. I guess the key word in this sentence is "trying".
June 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
...pppsstt... Betsy is trying to be funny...[/b]
Thanks Michelle. I guess the key word in this sentence is "trying".
[/b][/quote]
Well, I've been there girl!
June 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol. I wish that we could like voice record our posts and replies. I think I'm just crazy and don't know how to read things the way they are meant to be read.
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family tries to go to Church every Sunday.. but I know a lot of poeple that can only make in on like Easter and Christmas. Either way... I dont think you have to go to Church all the time to be close to God. It comes down to how you live your life and how Christian (or whatever religion) you are in your heart.

June 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to the garage makes you a car. Dunno why, but that's all I could think of when reading this post.

That being said...Hebrews 10:25 does say Let us not give up meeting together...

I just know for myself personally, when I am in a Bible-believing, New Testament church and learning with other Christians and being held accountable, I feel so much closer to God. We haven't had a church home for the past 2 years, and though we continue to seek a church home (we go to church about half the time right now), I don't feel like I have as close of a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
June 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I liked Momo's response and totally agree with it... I just wanted to add that attending a church is not just for your benefit but for the benefit of the entire body of Christ. Each of us is given gifts and I think we glorify God by sharing our gifts and talents with one another. If you never go to church I don't think God can use you to the fullness that He wants to... He can't use you to bless someone else who may be having a tough time and needs you to lift them up.

BTW... there is no such thing as a "good" Christian. You're either a Christian or you're not... you may be struggling in your walk with the Lord, but it doesn't make you a "bad" Christian. All Christians are simply those who have aknowledged their "bad-ness"... their sinful nature and the fact that we can never do away with it on our own... hence, the need for God's grace.
June 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to the garage makes you a car. Dunno why, but that's all I could think of when reading this post.[/b]

Quote:
there is no such thing as a "good" Christian. You're either a Christian or you're not... you may be struggling in your walk with the Lord, but it doesn't make you a "bad" Christian. All Christians are simply those who have aknowledged their "bad-ness"... their sinful nature and the fact that we can never do away with it on our own... hence, the need for God's grace.[/b]
June 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not think going to church makes you a better christian. Believe my people can put on acts. I went to church with this one guy for a long time. I always thought he was nice untill I was in Haiti with him for 10 days. Lets just say he was not nice one bit. I understood why his stepson did not like him.

I am starting to go back to church. I really think its good. Its good to have people to talk to and support and vice versa.
July 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does attending church make you a better Christian?

It depends on the church. If a church teaches the word of God without compromise and then also teaches it's congregation how to apply that word to their lives, then yes... going to church does make you a better person.

If the church is going to compromise the word of God and twist it so that blurs the line of what is a sin and what is not a sin... then no, going to church is not going to make you a better Christian.

Church is not only there to praise God all the time. It is there for us to learn his ways, to fellowship with each other and build each other up; to access other positions and help from the body of Christ. All Christians who follow Christ have a position in the body of Christ. There for we all need to work together and fellowship with one another.

While it is not necessary to go to church and be a Christian, I believe it is very beneficial. For me, trying to be a Christian and not attending a faithful, spirit filled church, would be VERY difficult.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think all people are different & what they need in their spiritual journey is different. Going to church has always made it harder for me to feel close to God. I have learned a lot about a lot of different faiths, but learned little of myself ever setting in a pew. I think in all faiths you need to find what feels right to you...that is what I believe IS the Holy Spirit...that place inside you that tells you what feels right & what feels wrong. If others feel that going to church allows them to share in something, learn something, be closer to God, then that is where they are supposed to be, and if it doesn't do that for another, then that is because it is not their path. The hard part is as humans is that any time something works for us we believe it will work for others...and we share that out of an attempt to help & often forget it can feel like we are pushing...that goes for child rearing, diet plans, herbal therapy or drug therapies, and particularly religion it seems. And just like one person can take penicillin & be cured, another can go into anaphylactic shock, we aren't all the same spiritually & what helps us on our journey will differ as we each have our own personality & out own challenges & our relationship with God. I think what matters most in ANY situation is that you have peace internally & I believe that the Spirit lives in me & when I am out of step I can feel it - I don't need a human to tell me - I got the voice inside that tells me & believe me that voice is far more persuasive & hard to to ignore anyway.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
So does going to church make you a better Christian...[/b]
Well, in most people's opinion, reading the entire Bible will make one a better atheist.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search