At what age...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was just wondering at what age everyone felt it was okay for their infants/children to stay overnight with someone? The reason why I'm asking is because my fiance and I are getting married in November and it will only be a month after our daughter is due. We aren't going on a honeymoon or anything like that, but I wasn't sure if she would be too young to stay overnight with my MIL. What age do you think is old enough?
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I was just wondering at what age everyone felt it was okay for their infants/children to stay overnight with someone? The reason why I'm asking is because my fiance and I are getting married in November and it will only be a month after our daughter is due. We aren't going on a honeymoon or anything like that, but I wasn't sure if she would be too young to stay overnight with my MIL. What age do you think is old enough?
Amanda[/b]
If you're comfortable with it and with your MIL then I say go for it. It's more about you and soon to be DH being ok with it..
June 27th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We didn't feel right about leaving overnight until 9 and 10 months respectively for our daughters. Once they started to be more independent it felt right. For us, that was when they began to breastfeed a little less, ate more solids, fell asleep without the breast/EBM bottle and just got use to the bedtime routine (dinner, breast, bath, books, bed), and weren't displaying any attachment issues (insecurity, crying for no reason, etc).

Of course, these were the things that were important to us; everyone is going to be different.
June 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I 100% agree. Now I don't know if you plan to breastfeed or not but you either need to make sure you pump enough milk or send formula. That is the only thing I see for you to be concerned about.

I left my DD for the 1st time with a sitter when she was 2 months old, with my ex's grandmother. My DS I don't think I did till he was about 5 months old with my dad and with my younger DS I didn't leave him with a sitter till he was 10 months old because I was a SAHM who didn't ever go anywhere but had to leave him with a sitter when my DH had a mini-stroke and I was up in the hospital with him.

Good luck with your decision!

June 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids sleep at my moms and in laws all the time. They itch to go there, and my family loves to take them. I was comfortable leaving them at a young age because:

1. When my oldest was 3 weeks old, I was hospitalized for 8 days from my Crohn's. My husband wanted to be with me since I was a mess, so we had no choice.

2. I formula fed, and it was easy for them to satisfy the kids' hunger if they choose to eat more than I anticipated.

3. My kids slept well. They were sleeping through the night at 3 weeks, and the other at 1 month. I would not be comfortable leaving my child overnight with a relative if they woke up every 2 hours. That is my responsibility, not theirs, to be awoken all night!!!
June 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my daughter stayed overnight at my sisters or MIL's when she was a newborn. As a new first time mother I needed a break and some sleep (2 hours max a night was too little to run off of)
June 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your views on this ladies! I feel comfortable leaving her overnight with my MIL. Now, for like a week or something I would probably get depressed, but one night I think I can manage. I won't be breastfeeding (please don't kick me lol) so that won't be a problem. Thanks again for your input!
Amanda
June 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM
irishxrose
I've left Joshua with my MIL overnight ever since he was about a month old. I had her watch him last night actually, so Jason and I could actually go out and have "us" time for once!
June 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't left Mikayla overnight yet (she's just over five months), but I am comfortable with leaving her with my mother.. My mom works a lot though, so its hard to find a night.. And I'm just not ready for that yet.. I think that I would stay overnight with her just to see how she reacts to it, and if she's ok then yeah.. She sleeps all night, she has since she was a week old And she loves my mom so I'm sure she'd be alright

I think it all depends on how you feel and what you feel is right. You know when its ok
June 29th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Bow2thePrincess's Avatar Veteran
I think it completely depends on the baby, you, and the babysitter. But generally I would say when they're sleeping throught the night. But it shouldn't be a problem if you need her to stay overnight with a sitter for something important.

Brittany and Paul
June, 18th 2003

Maddux Talan
April, 24th 2006

</div>
June 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I won't be breastfeeding (please don't kick me lol) so that won't be a problem.[/b]
OH? Maybe on the next thread then? ((Muwwwahhhhhaahhhaahhh))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search