Tithing

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
kadydid
I know I am not a Christian but I have considered going to a UU Church, mostly for my kids sake (for any that don't know, they are about the most liberal church out there and represent most belief systems) But the one thing that stops me is making a commitment to tithe. It's not about being cheap either, even as a "helping gift" it's a pretty good chunk of money monthly. When I was married to my ex he said you don't need to tithe and he would just throw money in the pass around plate (he was a Catholic) And it was usually only a few bucks.
So what do you think of tithing and are you a 10 percenter? (I promise I will not judge if you say you only do a few bucks (or whatever) because it is pretty spendy!)

so you can see where you stand
http://www.jdlh.palo-alto.ca.us/pr/uucpa/h...ure_200202b.pdf
June 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pay tithing every month, before I pay anything else. Its more than 500 dollars but I have been blessed tremendously by doing so.

June 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We usually only put in about $10.00 every Sunday.

June 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
mrobinson
UU Church won't make you tithe. It's donation only. (Well the one I go to is.)

Anyway, if your pay taxes, donate a bit here and there.. That's nothing compared to giving your kids an atmosphere like a UU church! i hope you find a great church, even if you decide to go outside the UU church.
June 29th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, tithing was a requirement in the old testament but not anymore. There's no specific amount you have to give but God does bless those that give. I have found that the months when I give so much it hurts, I turn around and God blesses me in a financial way. Now that's not why I give but giving should never be a requirement for belonging to a church.
The most important thing about giving is the heart that is behind it. If you give generously as a different way to worship God and give back to Him what He's blessed you with than that is what is most important, not the amount. However it's easy to just give a little. It requires some faith to give more because you have to trust that God will provide.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
kadydid
Quote:
UU Church won't make you tithe. It's donation only. (Well the one I go to is.)

Anyway, if your pay taxes, donate a bit here and there.. That's nothing compared to giving your kids an atmosphere like a UU church! i hope you find a great church, even if you decide to go outside the UU church.[/b]
Well UU would be the ONLY church anyone would ever find me in. Besides with my mommy group who on occasion rents space from Assembly of God.

Quote:
It requires some faith to give more because you have to trust that God will provide.[/b]
Boy I'm screwed LOL
June 29th, 2006, 09:53 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me too

July 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tithe closer to 5%. I feel guilty even saying that because I was raised to tithe the full 10%. It's funny that this came up because I just started watching my sister's kids for some extra $$$ and I was telling dh that I will be making enough $$$ that we'll be able to pay full tithe on his & my income each month. There have been several times that I have really felt that God put it on my heart to give when I knew darn well that our budget could not be stretched any further and each time that I went ahead and wrote a check out for $50 or $100 that I knew we didn't have, we ended up getting a random check in the mail that kept us within our budget! (i.e. escrow refund check, rebate checks, etc.)

Oh, and I am Assembly of God, what is a UU church?

July 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Oh, and I am Assembly of God, what is a UU church?[/b]
UU stands for Unitarian Universalist it is a church that accepts people from all different beliefs. Buddhism, Agnostic, Pagan, Atheist, Christian, whatever but I think generally it is pretty liberal.
July 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Quote:

UU stands for Unitarian Universalist it is a church that accepts people from all different beliefs. Buddhism, Agnostic, Pagan, Atheist, Christian, whatever but I think generally it is pretty liberal.
[/b]
Wow, that's interesting. How are sermons done without offending anyone? Are there seperate pastors for each set of beliefs and they just rotate sundays or what? I'm just curious.

July 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Wow, that's interesting. How are sermons done without offending anyone? Are there seperate pastors for each set of beliefs and they just rotate sundays or what? I'm just curious.
[/b]
No they don't focus on any one set of beliefs they don't need different pastors because the congregation is accepting of different beliefs. I have known a feel people who have gone and I have looked into it online, so I am no expert but I get the feeling they are uber liberal. This is 100 questions that non members ask about Unitarian Universalism

My guess is that someone who would be offended by different beliefs wouldn't join this church.

http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml
July 2nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Thank you for sharing that.

July 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a 10 percenter. It's a voluntary donation, of course.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
July 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do 10% from every pay check. It is a lot of money, but it goes to help out my church, my community, and to some missionary work. I have never wanted for anything that the children or I have ever needed and the church has always helped me out - and I've never asked them for help. My God has always met my needs, not only through help from the church, but help from other unexpected places as well.

According to the bible we are to set asided some earnings, whether that be money or crop, etc. for the church. If everyone did this, and everyone attended church, and the churches actually spent the money on what they were supposed to (lead by God) then we probably wouldn't need government assistance. Local churches would be taking care of their communities.

But, since this is a free country and we are all given the right to choose who and what we believe in, it makes tithing unnecessary for some people.

I don't think tithing should just be something that has to be done because God commands it. I think it should be done willingly and out of a heart to help God's people.

2 Corinthians
6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

In the new testiment tithe (in Greek it is apodekatoo - tithe is much easier to say. LOL) continues to mean a tenth of the earnings:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

It is being said that while a tenth should still be given, we must not forget the aspects such as love, truth, charity, faithfulness.

Tithing is different from general charity and alms.

ETA: my post made no sense... LOL. I had scattered thoughts all over the place..

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I pay tithing every month, before I pay anything else. Its more than 500 dollars but I have been blessed tremendously by doing so.[/b]
Wow. We don't tithe at all, we have 2 new cars, a brand-new house, a 22 month old son who has never been sick at all, we're both healthy, all our main relatives (moms, dads, brothers, sisters) are healthy, I'm 30 weeks into an extremely easy pregnancy...etc... I'm sure I could add more, but I'll stop there.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search